Share |
Fainting From Dead Lifts?

Author

04-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a man that tells me that he had several episodes of fainting while performing very heavy Dead Lifts when he was a power lifter and is concerned that he may experience the same problem today if he trains with Power Belt Isometrics. He stated that he once had a head wound that required several stitches as a result of a fall. He asked what I would recommend.

Personally, I don't know if this guy is being serious or not but assuming that he is I recommend the following.

Number 1) If you are prone to fainting don't practice intense Isometric Contraction

Number 2) If you do perform Isometrics, do so in an area that you have cleared of all sharp objects.

Number 3) Follow the Isometric breathing protocols as outlined in IPR in which you are exhaling while performing Intense Isometric Contraction. Never Hold Your breath.

Number 4) If you feel faint bend your knees and lower yourself to the floor. Do not stand until you feel total clarity.

Realize that I have seen youtube clips of people fainting after performing deadlifts. I have my own opinion about this that I will keep to myself BUT realize that only a fool will intentionally put themselves in harms way.

----John Peterson

Share |

04-16-2018, 06:00 PM

I think that I can clear this up from my own experience. Powerlifting gurus actually ADVISE you to hold your breath when performing maximum lifts in the bench press, squat, and deadlift. This is very dangerous advice, but since I have tried it myself , I have to admit it increases the amount you can lift for a 1 rep max,especially in the squat and deadlift. I myself, have fainted a few times years ago from deadlifting this way. PLEASE, do not be as foolish as I was or others are or have been. I have actually had severe nosebleeds, with blood spraying everywhere when doing this. Stupid and foolish. Again, who cares what your max lift is? Make sure to inhale and exhale normally.

Share |

04-16-2018, 06:09 PM

I may be belaboring the point, but I am convinced that holding your breath in this manner is the cause of brain aneurysms and strokes while performing heavy weightlifting exercises. I personally knew a 34 year old mother of two many years ago that died deadlifting in this manner. The same thing happened to multiple Strongest Man in the World champion Jon Paul Sigmarsson. He died in the middle of a deadlift.

Last edited by Michael Beasley; 04-16-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Share |

Author

04-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Hey Michael,

WOW! I had no idea that this was the case.

Granted, I have seen a few videos on youtube that showed people fainting and it made me wonder how often it happens to people that don't have a camera recording the event.

Seriously, what you just wrote above is scary to consider.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-16-2018, 07:01 PM

John, I do not mean to be alarmist, but I have seen this many times. As far as the nosebleeds I mentioned, I have seen that in the gym HUNDREDS of times watching others hold their breath either deadlifting or squatting.
"A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. A fool only learns from his own."
Please learn from the mistakes of the fool that I was.
God Bless, Mike

Share |

04-16-2018, 07:30 PM

I looked up the correct quote above from Proverbs 13.20
"He who walks with wise people,becomes wise himself,but a companion of fools,
life will unravel-live amongst the wise."

Share |

Author

04-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Hello Michael,

I'm awed that this sort of thing has not been the cause of more deaths than have been reported relating to it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

04-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Only on video I have ever seen someone pass out doing a deadlift. I personally have never witnessed this in a gym but I'm not ruling it out. When it comes to heavy weight like extremely heavy, the breathing patterns aren't the same and how they breathe can determine the overall heap of a full lift. I have never heard or seen anyone pass out from a bench press, that kind of lift has very small chances of passing out unless it dropped on a guy and he couldn't breathe and passed out from there. The only lift that seems a greater cause to pass out is the squat and it wouldn't be from the end of the lift but more towards the middle of a lift. I can't completely confirm that but it is quite accurate I believe.

Share |