Share |
Isometrics & Multiple Contractions

Author

04-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I had an interesting conversation with a former Olympic Swimmer that was coached by Coach Jim Councilman at Indiana University from 1964 to 1968. The man is 72 years old and he told that Coach Councilman had his swimmers performing a great deal of Isometric Strength Training and not for just a single maximum repetition. He told me that what we refer to as the Solytrain protocol was very similar to what Coach Councilman taught. It was 3 to 6 seconds at heavy contraction, a deep breath followed by 3 to 6 seconds more at heavier contraction and finally another breath followed by 3 to 6 seconds at your maximum contraction.

He also told me that the coach wanted his athletes to be the strongest and most enduring swimmers in America without adding unnecessary muscle bulk that would slow them down in the water. He literally told me,"John, it wasn't until just after the Olympics in 68' that steroids came to swimming. Before that coach Councilman's Secret was Isometrics and he had a great run with them until the early 70's when steroids became the big rage."

Needless to say, I was fascinated to talk with him and hear about how Isometrics were a big part of athletic success prior to steroids.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-07-2018, 05:22 PM

If my memory is correct, he was the trainer of Mark Spitz, who had an admirable physique that is attainable by the methods we follow here.

Share |

04-07-2018, 06:07 PM

The more that I explore these concepts the more convinced I become that Isometrics and Iso Dynamic Contraction offer more life benefits than we give them credit for. Our minds and bodies seem to only release their greatest potential powers and forces [both conscious ans subconscious] when pushed to their limit. "All evolution is a reaction to stress" and that adaptability can be projected to a wide variety of life challenges and activities.

Share |

Author

04-07-2018, 06:18 PM

Hey Michael,

Spitz had a physique that looked a lot like Bruce Lee but came up a little bit later in 1972.

I found it interesting that Coach Councilman trained his Athletes with Multiple Rep Isometrics in order to dramatically enhance muscular endurance and that was the first time that I ever heard or read of anyone specifically using Isometrics to enhance one's endurance. Yet, the more I thought about it the more sense it made. In 'Physiology of Strength' Theodore Hettinger stated that one maximum contraction was all that was necessary to maximize one's contractile strength but in his book he never addressed how best to maximize endurance and the idea of multiple Isometric Contractions to enhance endurance was never covered in any text that I ever read. So, from that perspective it seems that Councilman was unique in his approach to Isometrics.

For those that are interested they can read Physiology of Strength in our classics section.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Some of the best reasons to practice Isometrics and Iso Dynamic Contraction type exercises come from Swami Rama. They are really a form of meditation and apply the yogic principle of ”Inner Concentration.” In a sense they are “Positive Thinking” on steroids as they rush the new visual and verbal commands along the neural highway, past the emotional brakes that have been programmed into us to the center of the mind which is the command center for all of our personal forces [conscious and subconscious]

Swami Rama,who was the the principle subject of the research on yogis at the Menninger Foundation, said of these yogic type exercises that they have, “Benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercises one vitalizes muscles,respiration, senses, nervous system and mind..............

Most importantly, in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind and consciousness.” Swami Rama, “Exercise Without Movement”

Last edited by Andy62; 04-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Share |

04-08-2018, 01:23 PM

I use simular workouts with my distance runners.

Here is what we do:

Push ups:

Stay in the down position with chest 1 inch from the floor, hold for 30 sec.

Rest 30 sec

Now the next set the same thing but this time every 3 sec. do a rep, do this for 30 sec.

rest 30sec

the last set you do as many reps as you can in 30 seconds.

The kids say they love it because they feel so strong afterwards.

This can be used with many exercises and I also have them do it with light dumbbells. Squats and pull ups are challenging but way effective.

Lots of bang for your buck.

Monty

Monty

Share |

Author

04-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Hey Monty.

It certainly reads as though you have your athletes on a great program.

A perfect example of strength and endurance integrated into the same exercise.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-18-2018, 06:33 PM

Many of the old time strongmen were practioners of muscle control. Eugene Sandow would sit and read his morning newspaper while "flicking" his muscles. This, he said, was all the exercise he needed.

Share |