Share |
Try this approach for G.U.T.S.

09-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Hi there, first time posting but wanted to share some advise on doing the G.U.T.S. rouine. I am 41 y/o and have stayed in pretty good shape most of my life. I've done every routine under the sun and GUTS has always kicked my butt and has always been the most challenging routine I have ever done period. I love the fact that you have a goal to shoot for to be able to do the elite level of reps in the amount of time given. What has helped me to be able to do GUTS consistantly is rotating the leg work. I've done GUTS in the past and the hardest part of the workout for me has always been the TB squats. 300 reps is no joke and after you try to accomplish that feat you have another round of atlas sit ups and push ups staring you in the face. My solution was to simply rotate the TB squats every third workout. Instead of doing TB Squats every workout, I now do the 12 minute section doing jump rope and the next workout I do 12 minutes of the step up exercise on the stairs. This slight change has made a huge impact on being able to consistantly do this routine. It really gives my legs a break from the TB squats. I've noticed my numbers consistantly going up when I implemented this change to the routine. It's kind of like having a light, medium and heavy day for GUTS. On my light day I do the standard GUTS routine, however I substitute jump roping for the TB squats. The next workout I will do the step up exercise in place of TB squats. On my heavy GUTS day I try to do the standard 300 reps of TB squats. By doing this I've noticed all my numbers start to increase. But the main benefit is that I now look forward to doing this routine instead of dreading it. My current numbers as of today are:

Living strength push up aka Atlas 3: 36 reps
Atlas sit ups: 62 reps
TB squats: 288 reps
Atlas sit ups: 52 reps'
Living strenght push up: 33 reps
Finish workout with MILO and other various DSR's for arms

Lastly I want to say thanks to JP for publishing such an awsome workout program. Once a person can complete the elite level of the workout, you will be a Juggernaut!

Share |

Legacy Member

09-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Hey,

I like how you broke this down. You have truly mastered being your own trainer. Good job. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to move this to the main forum.

Greg

Share |

09-16-2014, 06:37 PM

No problem Greg. Happy to join the community. Thank You, Jim

Share |

Author

09-16-2014, 07:08 PM

Hello jtd73,

I second what Greg has stated. And I'm also glad that he placed it right here.

Let me also state that Congratulations are in order! Great job! Those are certainly very commendable numbers for athletes of any age. Let me also point out that a large number of Expanded GUTS training routines and workouts will be featured in the new:

"Living Strength Life Transformation Training System"

In fact, your suggestions as well as other alternatives for the cardio/leg work component such as intensive Rebounding Circuits will be clearly evident in the new GUTS Training Protocols. In addition we will also be sequencing the 3 Atlas Push-ups Variations in 3-day cycles.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-23-2014, 06:10 AM

Hey JTD,

Thats an awesome variation for your GUTS routine. I myself did the same thing and sometimes would even do a sort of mini triathlon during the cardio portion: 5 minutes jump rope, 5 minutes step ups and then 5 minutes all out heavy bag striking. Sometimes even movements like burpees and bear crawls. The options are endless all based off of a great FOUNDATIONAl workout! Great Job!

Weapon X

Share |

09-26-2014, 11:49 AM

John, when will the new living strength life transformation training system be available? That sounds awesome!

Share |

09-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks Weapon, I like how you bread down the cardio portion of the routine. I'm definitely going to give that a whirl for some upcoming workouts. Sounds very effective! Thanks

Share |