Share |
Strained inner stomach muscle from strict pull ups

03-07-2010, 04:02 PM

I wrote this as an add on to an email to Joe and realized it could be a thread. It's edumacational. To me at least. If I didn't know about it. And he's always whining that I don't start enough threads.

I thought up a new way to injure myself. About two months ago I was getting into pull ups, strict ones. I would keep my body perfectly straight, perfectly hang, and perfectly get my chin over the bar. One day while really pushing myself I felt a strain that felt like it was under the muscle covering the lower stomach.

My PT friend said he had it once, a strain of the very inside abs, and it took forever to heal and it hurt like heck. Mine does too if I pull up with straight legs. If I curl my legs up or L-sit, no problem. Sit ups are no problem. My abs are strong, as usual. But if I hit them wrong, it's a deep down weird pain covering the whole lower abdomen.

I was given the anatomical name of the muscle but I can't remember. It feels like it covers the same area as the six-pack muscles, but is below that, especially over the pubic bone.

From now on I don't care what it looks like, I'm going to curl up the knees a little when doing pull ups.

Tom

Share |

Author

03-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Hey Tom,

You make a good point. Performing Pull-Ups can and does stress the abdominal muscles a good deal. Be especially careful because the type of injury you are describing could be a muscle tear and it could become a hernia if not carefully attended to.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks. That had occurred to me a little, but I don't know the mechanics of it. Especially careful is a good place to start, If I could just remember it in the excitement of life.

One more thing for a hypochondriac to worry about.

Tom

Share |

Tags
abs, pain, pull ups, strain