Share |
Prayer request - Career opportunity

Legacy Member

02-10-2018, 11:07 AM

I recent met the General Manager of my former employer for lunch.

She basically offered me a job to complete an important project, then to stay on as Controller /Business Manager of the company, essentially my old boss's position.

The GM is looking for someone to "partner" with her to carry the organization into the future.

I'm torn because it feels somewhat like a step backwards as I'd be returning to a former employer. But, it would be more of a managerial position.

I believe I could get up to speed rather quickly. But, I don't know how much of what I've learned in the last ten years could be used there.

Things have been a little hectic at my current job. But, I have not been actively looking.

So, I'd appreciate any and all prayers for guidance in making this decision.

Rob

Share |

Author

02-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Hello Rob,

It's honor my friend. I'm on it.

One recommendation: go somewhere that YOU can spend time alone with GOD. You'll find God in silence when you can close out the world and spend time listening from the inner most part of your being.

God Bless You My Friend.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-10-2018, 10:39 PM

Blackbelt you are in my prayers. That is great advice from John

Share |

Legacy Member

02-13-2018, 03:11 PM

Rob:

I can share my own experience with you. I've worked in Managed Care for over 30 years. I've gone back to two former employers. The first time I had been out of work for about eight months, had two short term gigs, which were horrible, and had a chance to go back to Aetna as a rep. I did request that I wanted to go into Contracting, and when the opportunity arose several months later, they put me into that role. This gave me a chance to learn how to negotiate deals with hospitals and providers to bring them into my companies physician networks.

From there I was able to leverage that experience to go into a manager role at another former employer, Blue Cross Blue Shield. I stayed there about two years, and then jumped to Humana. And so on...

So for me, going back to a former employer was never a step backward; it was a means to move forward. I added to my skill set, and they got the benefit of the additional knowledge I had gained and a shorter learning curve.

But I always prayed to ask if this was His opportunity, and if it was right for me. If it didn't feel right, I didn't take it.

Regrettably, this last time, I didn't listen to that voice, and I'm not happy at all in my current job. I felt it was wrong, but I wanted the title and the salary. I figured I'm starting to reach a point in my career where there aren't too many opportunities left to move. The reality is after a certain age, it just gets harder to get hired.

Listen for God's Response, Rob. He will never steer you wrong.

Good luck!

Manny

Share |

Legacy Member

02-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Thank you so much for the input.

I have come to realize that this is a great opportunity, particularly at this time in my life and career. After talking to my former boss, I'm feeling more and more positive and think this is a good direction to go in.

I'm meeting with the employer later this week to discuss some details.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

02-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Best of Luck, Rob!

Manny

Share |