Share |
I'm a wrestler and i need to move down ten pounds to make weight

04-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
hi, i have a question, im a wrestler and i need to move down ten pounds to make weight for state finals, how would you recomend losing that much in six weeks?
Become a fan and comment on the Facebook page or post your reply here, where it will be linked as a comment.

Share |

Legacy Member

04-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, I believe a forum member referred to a “safe” weekly weight loss amount of “1-2 lbs per week” recently.

Assuming that is correct, in six weeks you could theoretically lose 12 lbs. (6 x 2).

But, as far as the “how” goes, it comes back down to the basics. You need to use/burn more calories than you take in. You do that either by eating less, or by exercising more. Unfortunately, the exact kind of exercise that works best varies from person to person.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

04-22-2010, 08:51 AM

Hi Cullen,

I'm guessing that you're in High School, which is great, because that puts you at a perfect age for being able to build muscle and lose fat! The drawback is you probably don't have total control over your diet, your parents probably buy most of your food and you eat a meal with the family. Of the teenagers I've helped, this has always been the biggest hurtle, whenever I give advice I always get back, "Yeah, but my mom fixes this or that every day and I have to eat with the family." Or, "They fix this or that at school and that all I've got or lunch."

That's a big hurtle, no doubt, but always remember you don't have to eat everything on your plate and you can always supplement your diet throughout the day. So if a brownie or a cookie is part of your school lunch or you mom bakes up a batch, just remember your don't HAVE to eat it.

Now that gets us to the tough part. If you want to lose 10 lbs in 6 weeks, you're going to have to be disciplined in your diet. There's no way around that. I wish I could tell you all you had to do was run an extra 30 minutes a day, but that ain't going to do anything to help you lost that weight. Be disciplined in your diet and you can lose that much weight easy, that's the tough part. Now the easy part...

Drop all grains from you diet
That's right ALL grains. That included pasta, bread, cookies, cakes. Anything that has to be baked.
Drop all processed sweets
This includes candy, chocolate bars, ice cream, and things of that nature.
Eat plenty of lean protein
Fish like tuna, sardines and wild caught salmon. Chicken breasts and skinless chicken. Lean cuts of beef and bison. Eggs and egg whites.
Eat healthy fats
Peanut butter, avocados, olive oil. Don't pig out on them, but have a few slices of avocado on a salad or a dressing made of olive oil and vinegar. Have a tablespoon of all natural (read: no sugar or High-Fructose Corn Syrup added, read the labels) peanut butter for desert rather than a candy bar. Egg yolks also have a lot of good fat.
Lots of fibrous vegetables
Broccoli, cauliflower, celery. All forms of leafy greens like spinach, cabbage, lettuce. Mushrooms. Avoid tubers, these are root plants like carrots, onion, and potatoes.
Limit the amount of fruit you eat
Fruits are good and have a lot of health benefits, but also have a lot of sugar. All berries are great, like strawberries and blueberries. Apples, pears, oranges, kiwi and grapes are good one or two times a day. Avoid dried fruits, like raises. And a banana here and there is okay, but not too many. Melons, are also mostly water, and okay now and then.
On top of this, you can drink a lot of water and then the a week before weigh-in lower the amount of water you drink. This is a tricky one, this is basically a dehydration technique and since most of our bodies are made of water, by dehydrating ourselves we lose a lot of weight. This can be very dangerous if not properly monitored, so be careful of taking any kind of extreme dehydration measures, even though it is fairly common for weight ins. But if you drink an ample amount of water leading up to the competition and then cut that back to a normal amount you'll get a lot of the same results without the danger.

That said, it shouldn't be necessary. If you follow these simple dietary guidelines and stay disciplined, you won't have any trouble losing the weight.

All you have to do is shift you diet, and weight yourself once a week at the same time - say Saturday morning. If you're not losing weight, then tighten up the diet. It's as simple as that!

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 04-22-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typoes

Share |

Author

04-22-2010, 10:40 AM

WOW!

Some great advice on this thread. One of the biggest problems that wrestlers have that are working to 'make weight' is to lose the weight without losing strength and stamina in the process. This my friends can be more difficult than it sounds. For instance, Lets say that we have two wrestlers that are competing at 155 pounds. One of them is naturally at 155 and is in awesome shape and doesn't have to do anything to maintain or lose weight because 155 is his natural and perfect weight. Then we have another that naturally weighs 165 pounds. He too is in awesome shape but in order to wrestle at 155 he has to lose 10 pounds. Bottom line: losing that 10 pounds may be easier said than done but the suggestions presented so far are great ones.

Let me relate one thing that I observed first hand. When I was in High School I had a friend that was a wrestler that was always trying to cut weight. In his case it was usually about 4 or 5 pounds. The coach would have him sit in the sauna and then have him come out and weigh and then keep going back and forth until he weighed exactly what he must and then the coach would record it. My friend would then go and drink his weight back on. I mention this because maybe the young man in question could get by with losing 6 or 7 pounds and sweating off the rest right at 'weigh in' and then immediately re-hydrate himself. Just a thought.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Great and thourough advice Joe!

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

04-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Joe nailed this one. His advice is excellent.

Share |

04-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Hey guys,
I don't know what state this young man is in, but the majority of states now have a weight management program to prevent unhealthy weight loss. This was implemented to help prevent deaths that have occured from starvation and extreme dehydration from sweating. As a former wrestler and now a high school wrestling coach, I would recommend that this young man fix his diet first! I have done the sweating and saunas, garbage bags, etc. It definitely plays havoc on preparing for competition because of the loss of energy and dehydration. I hope this young man plays it safe and really works on his diet...I like what Joe recommends.

Scott

Share |

04-29-2010, 03:46 AM

Unless you wrestle heavyweight or have been wrestling in an artificially high weight class, as a conditioned wrestler, you really shouldn't have any weight you'd want to lose. So I say don't do it. A state championship isn't worth jeopardizing your health over.

I wrestled at 119 because at the time that was a weight class where I could eat normally (which is a lot in my case) and easily make weight. There was this one dude who normally weighed about 150 and wrestled in my class. He looked like he was ready to pass out at any time.

My brother would drop weight to make his class, and it negatively affected him, and he regretted doing it.

I never understood why some guys would lay under the mat after practice to lose weight they would put right back on.

I was severely dehydrated once when I went 5 days without food or water, and I am glad for the experience only because it helped me to learn the importance of bodyfat, Most people don't even realize a person can survive what I did, but now I get the opportunity to share what I learned with the rest of the world, and hopefully help to discover more about fat distribution. There would be nothing for you to gain from such an experience.

You can get kidney stones from being dehydrated too. Trust me, you don't want one. I was lucky I didn't get them during the experience I related above. Of course I knew nothing about things like that at the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanna know why you wouldn't wrestle in your regular weight class for the state finals?

Share |

Legacy Member

04-29-2010, 06:28 AM

In combat sports one always wants to compete in the lowest weight class.

-Joe

Share |

Tags
facebook, weight loss