Share |
Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control is not VRT

06-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Thank you, John, for your reply. I also absolutely reject the external occlusion as a method for muscle building. I have just mentioned the usage of the constant natural muscle tension to get the partial blood restriction in the muscles during reps and sets. In this case, our muscles should not have a break. In other words, it is the constant tension process during eccentric and concentric motions. It may help to gain some additional muscle mass.

Thanks again for your comment.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Milbor,
I lean towards your constant muscle tension as opposed to relaxing between rep approach.
For me if I relax, I may lose the "focus" that I try to maintain in the muscles that I am exercising.
I maintain constant muscle tension on my DVRs and Calisthenics. For me it is a matter of focusing into the muscles.

Tim

Share |

06-20-2018, 06:00 PM

"A stronger isometric contraction is the result of having transmitted a stronger command impulse from your mind to the target muscle."

I had the same problem. In my case I found that directing my concentration with more emphasis on the mental impulse and less on the contraction gave me a greater ability to direct and control the whole process.

Share |

Author

06-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Hey Men,

The slight pause in tension that I am talking about is that which is experienced when performing either the 5-6-7 or the 6-7-8--- 3-stage contraction protocol of Hard, Harder & Hardest.

The method was taught to Solytrain by the Mighty Atom and transforms the effectiveness and results of Isometric Contraction. My muscles have never been more dense or supple nor my muscular definition better. It's all about angles, intensity and achieving a good pump of nutrient rich blood into the muscles. Without the pump you won't achieve results.

---John Peterson

Share |

06-21-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hey Men,

The slight pause in tension that I am talking about is that which is experienced when performing either the 5-6-7 or the 6-7-8--- 3-stage contraction protocol of Hard, Harder & Hardest.

The method was taught to Solytrain by the Mighty Atom and transforms the effectiveness and results of Isometric Contraction. My muscles have never been more dense or supple nor my muscular definition better. It's all about angles, intensity and achieving a good pump of nutrient rich blood into the muscles. Without the pump you won't achieve results.

---John Peterson

I agree with you, John, regarding isometrics. But I though that we discuss with Tim dynamic co-contraction training like VRT where the constant mind concentration and muscle tension through the set could give additional benefits.

Share |

Author

06-21-2018, 11:03 AM

Hello Milbor,

I appreciate your post because it gives me an opportunity to reassert the principles that underlie the concept of Iso-Dynamic Tension exercise.

In ALL cases every man MUST learn to be his own best trainer. This is accomplished through trial and refinement. In other words, direct experience is the best teacher.

Example, When I first met with John McSweeney and learned his Power Strikes and Tiger Moves I was awed by his striking power that he attributed to his daily practice of Tiger Moves performed at moderate tension that he would continue for 10 consecutive reps before going to the next exercise. Obviously when using light or moderate tension there is absolutely no reason to pause between reps in any given set because the blood flow is not obstructed as it is when using Ultra High Intensity Tension.

John told me that he had one student that had developed a fantastic physique using only the 7 Tiger Moves in sets of 3 repetitions for 2 sets. He said the man used such intense contraction that he often ended up with nose bleeds and head aches. This was something that McSweeney warned about because he literally believed that one could cause a stroke by doing so. But here is the point---When using Ultra High Intensity Tension a single repetition can last for 30 seconds or more and as John told me, "It feels like a moving Isometric contraction." I have done this level of tension on a few occasions and believe me, when performing Ultra High Intensity Tension you will absolutely need a slight pause between reps to allow a fresh blood supply of highly oxygenated to fuel the muscles and to continue for 3 repetitions. It is extremely intense for muscles and tendons as well as the Central Nervous System.

So here is the bottom line: When performing either Ultra Intense Isometric Contraction or Ultra Intense Iso-Dynamic Tension the pause between reps will be determined by the intensity of the contractions one is performing. The extreme example I just pointed is one in which one is going for maximum intensity for 30 seconds or more. This was also stated by Alois P Swoboda in his description of Muscle Control that a slight pause needed to be given between Ultra Intense Reps or the muscles will exhaust for lack of oxygen. Obviously this is be determined by each individual and the same concept applies to both Isometric and Dynamic forms of exercise. it is the intensity that will determine when a pause is necessary. In the case of Ultra Intense Tiger moves lasting 30 seconds or more it will be necessary to have the short pause and deep breath to continue and it does feel very much like a moving Isometric Contraction.

---John Peterson

P.S. Milbor the term we use is Iso-Dynamic Muscle Tension in referencing all internally generated Muscle tension exercises.

Last edited by John Peterson; 06-21-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Share |