Share |
Iso-Dynamic Power Circuit In "Power Sculpt"

Author

05-14-2009, 04:47 PM

hey Gordon,

I read Bruno's post and literally scratched my head wondering whether or not he was talking about the same Charles Atlas Course that I grew up with. I never saw any structure to it at all in terms of sets and reps.

Now, let me also address the fact that I personally like freedom from structured routines just as my friend Greg Newton states. But for all you guys that want to be told what to do I will give you structured set and rep schedules. The one outlined in this thread is for advanced men to extraordinarily advanced men only.

And let me share something with you about it. I have already received three e-mails asking me how much rest between sets should a person take. My answer is simple. Only as long as you need. The better the shape you're in the less time required. Don't be an idiot and time yourself. Just breath deep and make deep breathing an exercise in and of itself between the other exercises and allow yourself to feel fully recovered before you hit it again.

---John Peterson
P.S. Hey Bruno, I just read your post above mine. OK, I see what you're saying. We're on the same page. I just meant that Atlas never said to perform X-number of reps for X-Number of sets. At least I never saw where he did.

Last edited by John Peterson; 05-14-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm one of the people who like freedom from structured routines.That way I can experiment and explore different exercise options.To me a structured program would become chore instead of something I look forward to doing whatever I choose to do that particular time period- structured routines are beneficial just not for me-Kevin

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Not to beat a dead horse but John is now offering several structured routines. Why all the posts with "I like unstructured routines" etc.

If a person doesn't like a structured program then that person should not do it.

Unstructured physical activity, a walk a run, game of soccer or softball game is great. But when a person is utilizing the methods of this forum-power cals, push ups, isometrics etc. I think that a structured program is imperative. Simply because it is to easy to fool yourself into thinking that you are working hard.

Perceived effort can trick a person and the mirror is only as good as the person staring at it. Some people may look at a mirror and think that they look good when in fact they don't. Have you ever looked at a picture of yourself from 10 years ago and thought "why was I wearing that shirt" or " why did I have that wig on my head?" and said "why didn't someone stop me?" It's the same way that a person can look in the mirror and observe a change when there is none.

Objective measures- 5 push ups today, 6 next week, 9 push ups three weeks from now and so on. Irrespective of physical appearance or body composition (and those are important things but...) a person can be satisfied that they are "improving" in an objective criterion.

John, part of your concern with numbers in the past was that it might cause a forum member to give up before they even started. Can you lay out a progression to even perform the first round.

Several posts earlier I suggested doing 10% of each exercise and completing all 4 rounds. Do you have a suggested progression?

How did you arrive at those numbers? Is that a circuit that you complete or have forum members sent you suggestions for circuits that they performed? Unless I'm missing something, your creation or borrowing of routines is in response to emails that you have received. Unless there were prior posts that I missed asking for routines.

In any event, Charles Atlas did in fact suggest numbers but not sets and reps. In the perpetual lesson, he said 100 dips twice daily and then he also said do 50 to 75 at night. Again those were target numbers.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
And let me share something with you about it. I have already received three e-mails asking me how much rest between sets should a person take. My answer is simple. Only as long as you need. The better the shape you're in the less time required. Don't be an idiot and time yourself. Just breath deep and make deep breathing an exercise in and of itself between the other exercises and allow yourself to feel fully recovered before you hit it again.
Hey John, I think this is where some people get upset. You and I have talked about this a lot and I know where you're coming from, but a lot of guys who are use to timing themselves are going to see this and say, "Are you calling me an idiot?!"

This whole structure thing is really and explosive subject around here and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I know people look for a magic bullet and the fitness industry feeds one this, like there's some kind of magical combination of reps, sets and time that will make you into a bodybuilder overnight. But the bottom line is the old 80/20 rule. No mater what little nuances you put in your workout, or what little isolation moves, most of your results are going to come from a few core moves. Period. I guarantee a man could do only push-ups, pull-ups, sit-up and wind sprints and end up with a pretty decent body. All he has to do is make steady progress with diligence and consistency.

Still, I know a lot of folks like routines to test their mettle. I know early on, I was one that lamented the lack of structure in the Transformetrics system. I understand the method better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but John is now offering several structured routines. Why all the posts with "I like unstructured routines" etc.
Why not? People are suddenly not allowed to express their opinions?

Bruno, you should re-read your entire post and be mindful of projecting your own goals onto other people. Your entire post presents questions based on your own personal goals then offers the idea that if those goals aren't reached then it's John's shortcoming.

John and the entire physical culture of this site is based around the holistic use of exercise to better your life. The vast majority of people aren't trying to become world class athletes. They're not trying to win any world records. Perceived and objective effort doesn't really apply to them. They're just trying to be healthier. If you have specific performance related goals then you're going to have to train differently than someone who is just trying to get into better shape.

If you need structure, then John is providing it to you. If you want to do your own thing, that's okay too. How can you possible find anything to argue with there?

Oh, but if you don't have structure how will you ever make that touchdown in the Super Bowl? Here's a clue, I'm never going to be in the Super Bowl. Okay, well if you don't have structure how will you ever be a professional bodybuilders? Another clue, I'm not ever going to be a professional bodybuilder.

Howzabout I just workout to be happy and healthy? Anything wrong with that? Or am I just not being badass enough?

-Joe

Share |

05-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Many roads lead to "fitness Rome". With or without structure pick one that is enjoyable & verifably productive.

Share |

Banned

05-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Without structure there is no discipline and no way of measuring your progress, I have to log every rep to know where I am at.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Hi Joe,

I hope this is helpful? I was wondering if folks could look at what John provides as a template.
When you have a template you can alter or change the workout to you needs.
So let us suppose that three atlas3 pushups are where you are at,great do those as opposed to the 50.If it is hard to do one,either do atlas 1 or 2.

Templates are great because it provides structure.You can take a template and then plug in what you need and to fit your current fitness needs.

I have many,many-what I call template workouts that I use and also use for athletes(conditioning them for sports).

Now on the other end of the specrtrum-John provides different levels,so if you are in great shape-level four would be for you.Last night I did this workout in the midst of a very busy day.Did three circuits and had to stop to shower and then teach-but man-o-man what a workout!

No aches or pains-feel good-Thanks John!

Again Joe hope this was helpful?Will write more on these thoughts later if you would like,but another very busy day!

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Without structure there is no discipline and no way of measuring your progress, I have to log every rep to know where I am at.
In on ear and out the other, I suppose. If that works for you, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't project your needs on others.

BTW, the "I Need Structure" that you put as the title doesn't show up. vBulletin only lists the Title of the first topic. You're too use to the Yuku style message board.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, Daniel meant for his post to look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I need structure

Jason,
I'm with you, brother. I don't see how there could possibly be any kind of controversy of any kind here. People have been asking John for a structured workout for years, so he's finally decided to give them some while still leaving the door open for those of us who don't like to be shackled by routine.

If you want structure, you'll have it. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. What exactly is the argument about again?!

Some people just argue. It's what they do.

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 05-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Share |

05-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I too am puzzled at any "debate" regarding structure here. There in fact, is "structure" in PYTP where John outlines the way to get started in the methods of Transformetrics. After that, it is clearly explained how to apply and make the most of the information presented for one's personal needs and goals. For crying out loud, the material provided is everything one needs to create the routine(s) that would benefit one the most effectively. Templates, guidelines ... I use these as goals even to measure myself as I progress. But I am more likely to be more free rather that rigid in my daily workout. Structure? Fine. No structure? Fine. What is the rub? All John did was basically post a "tease" from his upcoming book that we can use now if we choose. He also added that he is going to include reps and sets routines in his material in the future. Great!! As far as I'm concerned, it's all good. There is not a place that has a more comprehensive library of fitness material / information than here. The icing on the cake is this forum and the accessibility of the owner of the business. Again, what is there to debate here?

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

Legacy Member

05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Joe this is what you wrote "In on ear and out the other, I suppose." because Daniel wrote he wanted structure. Why is your criticism of structure valid and his desire for structure less valid?

Isn't that you imposing your need or want or desire for lack of structure on him?

John wrote a book that includes structure. I'm all for it. I'm all for his other books that don't give structure. To each his own. But, why are people now writing I don't want structure? Obviously John as the forum owner and author saw a need and desire for structure and he even remarked that he will always add structure to his material from now on. Look at the R.I.T.E. method of running. Isn't that better than running with no purpose-if you want results. If you just want to play-run away.

I don't know why you took quotes from me and then stated that there was a controversey or that I was imposing something onto the forum or onto John some lack.

I didn't post that I wanted structure-I'm doing just fine enjoying the road as I go. I have my own program and routine and I used to post it here and now I keep it in a notebook for my own use. Noone has to follow me or even listen to me. It's in my other life where people pay me for my advice. Here I'm just a 39 year old guy with my own fitness considerations. It doesn't mean that I haven't participated in sports, the military, martial arts and read dozens of books on health and fitness. Ill throw in the whole kit and kaboodle and tell you that I"m married for 11 years with three kids, if that makes me more of an expert. It's not a solo proposition that most authors tell you to follow a routine, write down your results, evaluate, reconsider, and keep moving forward.

But truth to tell, the bottome line is that like Gruntbrain remarks consistently for an indiviudal objective measures are useful once in a while. Heart rate, blood pressure, # of push ups etc.

Play all you want if that's what you want. Play may result in fitness but it also may not.

Share |