Share |
Generating Nerve-Force

12-19-2009, 02:24 PM

I just Googled "nerve force" and found these two interesting passages from an old 1913 book called The Art and Science of Personal Magnetism by Theron Q. Dumont.

http://www.psitek.net/pages/PsiTekTAASOPM7.html
http://www.psitek.net/pages/PsiTekTAASOPM9.html

The first link describes an interesting breathing exercise. The second describes a kind of proto-Transformetrics, with simple stretching and tensing exercises, and a focus on intuitive exercising:

Quote:
Sometimes you may go a long time without practicing and again you may feel the need of the same very often – in either case follow nature’s urgings. Again, you may feel like taking but a moment’s exercises at a time – like taking a sip of water, while on other occasions you will feel like taking a long spell of exercise – like taking a deep draught of water when you happen to be very thirsty – follow nature in both instances.
And I also enjoyed this description of isometrics:

Quote:
You must not lose sight of the fact that when you tense these muscles, in the act of stretching and then contracting the limbs, you really "squeeze out" the old, worn out, depleted magnetism, and absorb in its place a fresh supply of vigor, vitality and vim from the great reservoirs of the nervous system.

Carry in your mind the idea of the sponge, which in order to absorb fully a supply of fresh water, must first be thoroughly squeezed out. The process of the absorption and distribution of nerve-force is very close indeed to the process of the squeezing-out and refilling of the sponge.
Very interesting stuff. My interest in Transformetrics mostly falls on this more esoteric side of cultivating nerve-force or energy, so I'm always curious to learn more about how to practice to achieve this aim.

Share |

12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

The reason this type of exercise is so superior is illustrated by the following quote by Swami Rama referring to the Isometric Power Flexing exercises in his book "Exercise Without Movement."

"The exercises in this book,however, are yoga practices with benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercsies one visualizes muscles, respiration,senses, nervous system, and mind.....Exercise without movement, however,is a systematic method of exercise that allows the practitioner to travel along the pathways of action,from mind to muscle..... They are the preliminary steps to mastery of the autonomic nervous system. Most importantly, in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind itself,and one makes the dramatic step inward through the layers of personality toward the Center of mind and consciousness."

Share |

Banned

12-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Very interetsting Duff, the author and he is an American by the name of William W. Atkinson that wrote under several names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Walker_Atkinson an Attorney and writer of Psychic material, I wouldn't have thought of him as interested in Isometrics, but he did wite as a Yogi on Yoga. Gordon interesting points, I've come to think that deep breathing is one of the keys to nerve force, aka Chi, Prana and Pneuma the Greek word for breath and it also means spirit. Interesting how so many civilizations have used this doctrine across the globe and over time.

Share |

12-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Personal magnetism is a great read, another good one is power of concentration by the same author.

Share |

12-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post

Very interesting stuff. My interest in Transformetrics mostly falls on this more esoteric side of cultivating nerve-force or energy, so I'm always curious to learn more about how to practice to achieve this aim.
Good Evening Duff,

I too am keenly interested in cultivating nerve force to its highest level. I read a post from Mr. Anderson once where he mentioned tying Isos to a post hypnotic suggestion. I have used this modality via self hypnosis. Maybe try it.

Also, I would be interested in hearing from Mr. Anderson about his specific practices

Enjoy,

MWM

Share |

12-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Interesting thought, mwm. How specifically do you give yourself suggestions in conjunction with ISO's?

John mentions in Isometric Power Revolution to use Isometric Power Breathing to surround your goal with energy. I've tried this method with some success, especially for goals that could use some energy to get started. I'm guessing you mean something similar while performing an isometric contraction?

Last edited by duff; 12-21-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: minor error

Share |

12-21-2009, 06:44 PM

While under self hypnosis / while deep in meditation. Tie your iso exercises to a specific outcome (not a goal). I first tried tying my "tension" exercises to two goals.

1.) Emotional Control - I fed my subconscious to understand that I control the tension in my life. Most tension in life is caused by the body overreacting to outside stimuli - so while deep in meditation / self hypnosis tell your subconscious that you control the tension in your life, that the tension you feel brought on by outside influncenses are just your body telling you to pay attention and that is .ok. that you understand that something is occurring that you are aware of it and have it under control - that you "create the tension to help your body grow" &

2.) Try giving your subconscious instructions as to what is to occur while you are doing your tension exercises, I have worked on programming my body to "burn the stored body fat" & allocate every additional "clean" calorie to build muscle while relating that message to the tension exercises.

Perhaps this might help.

Also, I would still like to hear from Mr. Anderson on this topic.

In addition, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Peterson for providing me with more "bang for the buck" through his books and this forum than I have experienced previously. I have learned / benefited more from Mr. Peterson for the cost of a dinner then I have from several other sources that I have paid thousands for.

Take Care,

MWM

Share |

12-21-2009, 09:10 PM

I have always been a very curious person and always wanted to see what was on the other side of the mountain. I had a very sickly childhood which I am sure was a major motivational factor when I first came across the Charles Atlas Course as a pre adolescent in the early 1950s. The Atlas Course worked great for me and started a lifelong quest to strengthen myself for the adventure that I wanted my life to be. I was searching for NERVE FORCE before I heard it called by that name. In the mid to late 1970s my whole life changed and I found myself faced with business failure, a tough divorce, and having to move away from my family and friends to a totally new area in my late 30s. As a result I had to adapt myself and evolve to a totally new environment. Fortunately, in the military and in my corporate training prior to that time, I had been exposed to the writings of Napoleon Hill, W Clement Stone, and Dr Norman Vincent Peale along with other motivational writers. Even applying the techniques that I had learned from those sources didn't stop the overwhelming negative psychological feedback that I was receiving. At the same time the industry that I was employed in was experiencing tremendous change and turmoil and as a result became very ruthless. This was when I began to realize the NERVE FORCE building qualities of the isometrics that I had previously learned. I again came across principles such as DVR/VRT, and Isometric Power Flexing that I was first taught in The Atlas Course. Now I was applying them with greater intensity as I was not an adolescent trying to develop my body,but a mature adult having to take control of my total consciousness including the changing of my emotions. By accident I discovered that combining the physical training techniques of DVR/VRT,Isometrics and Isometric Power Flexing with the positive thinking mind training techniques that I had previously acquired allowed my WILL POWER to gain increased control over all parts of my consciousness. I was developing NERVE FORCE. I found that I could put all of that negative feedback out on my mind and leave my WILL in total control. NERVE FORCE strengthens our control over our entire consciouness and helps develop the INTUITIVE abilities that we all need to overcome various life restricting impediments. Along the way I had also developed a hobby of collecting old physical development courses and books- some of which are posted on the sandow site http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/

In my quest one thing has led to another: Charles Atlas had been mentored by Alois P. Swoboda and said, "Everything that I know I learned from A.P.Swoboda." It also became obvious to me that many of the motivational authors that I had been exposed too had also borrowed from the teachings of Swoboda as some of their concepts had been copied word for word from his writings. Swoboda had applied the thousands of year old principles of NERVE FORCE training to our modern society. John Peterson has of course taken all of this knowledge, updated it, and included it in his TRANSFORMETICS training system.

"Within everyone one of us is an 'evolutionary success principle' placed there by the creator to help us survive and succeed in an ever changing universe...........
The exercises, as you know, are merely the vehicle by means of which the nervous system is aroused to greater activity through the intense application of the mind in producing resistance and rigidity of the muscles....I have now given you enough instructions for stressing your Conscious Energy through exercising to yield ultimately for you such results as you desire"

Alois P. Swoboda

Last edited by Andy62; 12-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Share |

12-21-2009, 09:55 PM

During the last Olympics in China there was an interview with the current head of the Shaolin Temple where he referred to martial arts specific DVR/VRT exercises as MOVING MEDITATION. I think that description really expresses the full potenital of this form of exercise. It really is training the mind or will to control all bodily systems-physical, mental and emotional. I first came across this form of exercise in the 1970s when I was going through some very difficult and very stressful things in my life. As I continued to practice DVR/VRT I was surprised to find that I was not only getting stronger physically,but mentally and emotionally as well. My will actually developed the ability to direct my thoughts and emotions away from the stressful events occurring to me at the time and redirect it to focus on the things that I wanted to accomplish- total directed contol in all phases of my life. That is what Alois P. Swoboda meant by Conscious Evolution.

Share |

12-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Prana [vital force] is the Yoga name for NERVE FORCE the following are examples of Yoga DVR/VRT that date back thousands of years.

"The oldest muscle-building Indian 'Dhandal and Bhasky' exercises differ from western gymnastics primarily in that they do not consist of thoughtless repetitions but of exercises performed with great interest....we use our imaginations to send vital force to various parts of the body, persistently developing strength, and if we watch our muscles during the exercise or watch them on a mirror , we will soon build a body so beautiful that even athletes will admire it...all we need is a .mirror and fifteen minutes a day. With the system of slow motion exercise, which prescribes no stultifying gymnastics but consists of movements like a game, combined with strong mental concentration, powerful muscles are developed in a very short time."

That original quote is from the book "Yoga And Health" by Selvarajan Yesudian and Elizabeth Haich. It was was published by Harper and Brothers in 1953 and is currently out of print ,but from time to time copies appear on abebooks.com It is the best book on the power of the mind over the body that I have found. The quote above was actually taken from "The Miracle Seven" by John Peterson and Wendy Pett..

Share |

Tags
nerve force