Share |
Dr. Young's Student from 1964/1965

05-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Hello John,

I just joined your fine forum. And this is my first post.

If you will remember… About two years ago, I sent you an email about some bodyweight exercises that I did while in the Navy (1963 - 1967) -- and I attached some “before” and “after” pictures of me. I explained that I had learned the exercises from a small booklet that had been written by a chiropractor. I also stated that I had since lost the booklet and could not remember the name of the chiropractor, because I wanted to give him credit.

Well, you cleared that up tonight. You sent me a copy of a 1961 booklet of no equipment, bodyweight exercises by Dr. Young. It is (indeed) the exact booklet that I ordered in 1961 (when I was a junior in high school). He wrote this booklet before he wrote his book: Yoga For Men Only. Thank you for the booklet and for bringing back some great memories.

As I told you in my initial email two years ago, and again tonight in our phone conversation, it was Dr. Young’s GIANT ARMS booklet (along with a few other bodyweight exercises) that helped me go from 145 pounds to over 200 pounds while stationed at the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in Puerto Rico (1964 - 1965).

I understand that you may be sharing my pictures in a couple of your new books (perhaps to be published this year). That’s great. Because I want your forum members and those who purchase your books to realize that “anyone” can build a lot of muscle with bodyweight exercises only. And by-the-way, not only did I gain a lot of solid muscle in a little over a year, I did it when I was an alcoholic and hooked on prescription drugs. (I was a Corpsman -- Medic -- and had access to all the drugs I wanted.) But in spite of how much I abused my body, the bodyweight exercises I did changed my life...in a matter of just a few months!

Also, I gained even more muscle in my early 40’s by using Dr. Young’s exercises, and the other bodyweight exercises that I had used in Puerto Rico. I got up to over 220 pounds (ripped!) in less than six months!

Anyway, thanks again for the booklet. God bless.

Mike Joplin

Share |

Author

05-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Hey Mike,

It's great to have you with us. Finally!

Mike your physique, as will be evident to one and all in your photos, is nothing less than superb. And a great testament to the effectiveness of Dr. Frank Rudolph Young's maximized muscle tension exercises. I regard Dr. Young's exercise method as the advanced course in 'Dynamic Tension'.

One other thing that you and I and so many other friends from our forum have in common is a commitment to The Lord Jesus Christ. You shared with me before how your walk with the Lord allowed you to finally break free of drugs and alcohol. Believe me Mike, You're in great company and it's great to have you with us.

Now, for all of our friends, please feel free to ask Mike any Questions that you have.

---John Peterson

Share |

Administrator

05-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Since Mike is new here I'm helping him with his pic's uploading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJ_compare2.jpg (90.3 KB, 603 views)

Share |

05-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Yes (indeed) John. I am a Christian. I finally figured out (at 36-years-old) that drinking and drug abuse was a dead-end road (physically and spiritually), and that it harmed not only me…but my family too. I am alive and healthy today, only by the prayers of my parents and wife and because of the patience and grace of God.

And, yes, I will be glad to answer any questions any forum member may have about my transformation and my use of Dr. Young’s exercises.

Thank you "Greg" for the upload help.

MikeJoplin

Share |

Legacy Member

05-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Mike,

Wecome aboard. I enjoyed your testimony about the Lord and about your results with the F.R.Y. exercises.

Greg Newton

Share |

05-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Hi Mike!

I look forward to your insights and advice in the future!

Be Blessed!

Share |

Legacy Member

05-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you with us

What exercises did you do for increasing your shoulder width & decreasing your waist measurement?

Thank you.

Take care,
Steve

Share |

05-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrout View Post
Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you with us

What exercises did you do for increasing your shoulder width & decreasing your waist measurement?

Thank you.

Take care,
Steve
Hello Farrout,

To increase my shoulder width:

a. I did “overhand” semi-wide-grip pull-ups. I would pull up with both hands, and then
lower with one hand…and then the other. I would also do “static holds” (TUT holds),
even though I had no idea what they were called at the time.

b. I also did one of Dr. Young’s “doorway” exercises. The exercise is so powerful that it
also worked my biceps, traps, lats, chest...and even my waist.

To decrease my waist measurement:

a. I didn’t eat any “junk food” whatsoever (like cake, pie, cookies, candy bars, etc.),
although I drank several thousand rum & coke (w/ lime) drinks (unfortunately) and a
lot of Corona beer.

b. I did a lot of leg lifts (straight out and from side-to-side). I hardly ever did sit-ups. I now also use
an "Ab Wheel."

Hope this helps…

MikeJoplin

Last edited by MikeJoplin; 05-24-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Share |

05-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
Mike,

Wecome aboard. I enjoyed your testimony about the Lord and about your results with the F.R.Y. exercises.

Greg Newton
Thanks Greg,

I enjoy reading your posts.

MikeJoplin

Share |

05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DuVall View Post
Hi Mike!

I look forward to your insights and advice in the future!

Be Blessed!
Hi Paul,

I will soon be 67 years old. And in all of these years, I have gone from skinny to buff, from buff to fat, from fat to buff, and just about everything in between. I also spent approximately 10 years in a medium/max prison (as a "teacher"), so I picked up a lot of great fitness tips from my student inmates.

MikeJoplin

Share |