Share |
Dr. Young's Student from 1964/1965

05-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
Nice to meet you mike, I have been fascinated by Frank Rudolph Young's exercises, Yoga for Men for awhile. Dr. Young has applied his knowledge of Chiropratic to fitness with great results. I didn;t know he wrote Sinkram Giant Chest and Giant Arms, got a copy recently here.

Several here worked in Law Enforcement and have seen the extraordinary results using prison exercises. The book Solitary Fitness has been in several threads.

Welcome aboard and bless you.

Hello MikeNY,

Thanks for the "welcome."

I purchased FRY's Giant Arms "eight page booklet" way back in 1961 or 1962. I started using several of the exercises, and still do. But the number one FRY exercise for me has been "The Lateral Biceps' Curl." This one exercise not only helped me build up my arms (biceps), but it also help me build wide shoulders. I would alternate the FRY exercise (mentioned above) with semi-wide-grip pull-ups.

Without a doubt, inmates are very skilled at using bodyweight exercises...for fat loss, mass, and for strength.

MikeJoplin

P.S. I too have Solitary Fitness. It's a bit crude, but truthful.

Share |

05-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Hi Mike!

How exactly do you do the 'Lateral Biceps Curl?"

Thanks!

Share |

05-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
Mike, It is great to have you here and your timing couldn't be better. This whole discussion of a new condensed version featuring all of Dr Young's exercises with clear descriptions of how to perform them is really exciting. I pulled out several copies of Dr Young's books that I have had for years and started going through them. The guy was a genius in his use of leverages and muscle tension. In 1922 Charles Atlas revolutionized the whole exercise industry by coming out with a bodyweight course that could be performed using only the items that were present in the average home at that time. This brings that concept into the 21st century by showing how through the creative use of leverage we can expand both the number and effectiveness of exercsies using only items readily available today. If it works in a prison it will work anywhere. This is going to be fun. Gordon
Hello Andy62,

One of the reasons John’s new book on Frank Young’s exercises is going to be so good is because he is taking the time to provide “clear descriptions” of how to perform them. Dr. Young’s exercise descriptions and instructions were not always understandable, especially in his early writings -- like the GIANT ARMS eight page booklet.

After meeting and talking with literally hundreds of convicts (while teaching at a med-max prison), I can assure you that Charles Atlas would be proud of them in one respect, and that would be because they definitely know how to use just about any item in their small cell for their exercise routines. They will use their bed, toilet, sink, property box, items in their property box, towels, sheets, each other, etc., etc. They have to be “inventive,” and they are.

Mike Joplin

Share |

05-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DuVall View Post
Hi Mike!

How exactly do you do the 'Lateral Biceps Curl?"

Thanks!
Hello Paul,

You can do the FRY Lateral Biceps Curl in most any "doorway." And even though it is quite simple to do, it is very difficult to describe "how" to do it "without drawings."

John and Greg's new book on FRY will cover this particular exercise (and all the other FRY exercises) thoroughly.

After many years of doing the Lateral Biceps Curl, I learned how to change the position of my feet (different than what Dr. Young suggests) so that my bodyweight resistance increases quite a bit. And I wish I could explain that to you as well, but I can't do it (again) without drawings. And believe me, I'm no artist.

MikeJoplin

P.S. John knows about the change I made in the Lateral Biceps Curl, and he will probably include it in his new FRY book...because the change does (indeed) make a big difference.

Last edited by MikeJoplin; 05-28-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: To include Greg as co-author

Share |

Author

05-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Hey Mike,

I know that you will be featuring all six of the exercises from Dr. Young's Giant Arms course in your book on prison fitness. . But in addition to the crude line drawings it will also feature photographs of each exercise.

The back ground stories alone that are featured are nothing less than incredible. Anyone that thinks one must have equipment or weights to develop a great physique or exceptional strength is a victim false advertising and exercise propaganda. Your book will prove it.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 05-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Share |

Author

05-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Hey Mike,

You stated:

Quote:
After many years of doing the Lateral Biceps Curl, I learned how to change the position of my feet (different than what Dr. Young suggests) so that my body weight resistance increases quite a bit. And I wish I could explain that to you as well, but I can't do it (again) without drawings. And believe me, I'm no artist.
Truth is Mike, the adjustments you made to the exercise made it far, far better and much more effective than in Dr. Young's Course. By re-positioning the feet you increased the "angle of pull" by re-leveraging the exercise. It is one of my favorite exercises that I do daily.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Realy looking forward to the new book. When is it coming out?

Last edited by PatCNJ; 11-23-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Share |

Banned

05-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Welcome Mike,

I for one can't wait for John & Greg to finish the F.R.Y book.But I have a question for you.You mentioned an inmate doing 35 handstand pushups straight.My max is 8 handstand pushups 3 inches from the floor.Is there any advice you could give me that could get me to nose or head to floor? I've been stuck on 3 inches from the floor for awhile.Thanks in advance.

michael

Share |

05-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCNJ View Post
Rely looking forward to the new book. When is it comign out?
Hello PAtCNJ,

Well, I didn't know John was going to announce that I was writing a book, but now that he has (which is fine with me), I'll be glad to tell you all I can about it 'at this point.'

Actually, I have just started it. Greg (Newton) will be reviewing and editing each chapter for me. I am a 'perfectionist' (and I want to be accurate in everything I say, like John and Greg), so what might
take some writers a week, may take me a month. John will also be available for help. If my book turns out to be as good as their books, I'll be a happy man. I do (indeed) have a story to tell...

Anyway, here's the title of the book. And the title is subject to change.

'How To Build A Great Physique (In Just A Few Months) With Bodyweight Exercises Only'

Although I will make comments about 'prison fitness' throughout the book, there will be one (very specific) chapter about prison fitness. John helped me with the title. This title will probably not change.

'How Convicts Get BIG And STRONG Doing HARD TIME'

In this chapter, I'll reveal the daily struggles of convicts, their exercises and routines, nutrition, etc.

In two other chapters, I will explain how I gained 45 pounds (mostly muscle) in my early 20's by doing 'bodyweight exercises' only (from 155 pounds to 200 pounds).

And in another chapter I will explain how I gained 'another' 45 pounds in my early 40's by doing 'bodyweight exercises' only (from 175 pounds to 220+) pounds.

I don't have a clue as to when the book will be finished. I don't want to rush it. I want to do a good job. But I am working on it every day. And although I am a retired school teacher, I help my wife with her business and I help take care of my 10-month-old granddaughter. Their doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day.

Mike Joplin

Share |

05-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Welcome Mike,

I for one can't wait for John & Greg to finish the F.R.Y book.But I have a question for you.You mentioned an inmate doing 35 handstand pushups straight.My max is 8 handstand pushups 3 inches from the floor.Is there any advice you could give me that could get me to nose or head to floor? I've been stuck on 3 inches from the floor for awhile.Thanks in advance.

michael
Hello Michael,

To answer your question... Gather up '3 inches' of kitchen or bathroom 'tiles.' They are about an eight-inch thick. Place the tiles in a neat stack against the wall where you do your handstand pushups. Every time or every other time you do your handstand pushups, 'remove' one or two tiles. Make sure that you touch the tiles every time you descend. This is called a 'subconscious crutch,' and it works great. Before you know it, your problem will have vanished!

By-the-way, if you don't have any tiles, you can use anything that is fairly thin and that will be fairly stable. You can even use magazines, towels or wash rags.

MikeJoplin

Share |