Share |
Coming clean and Manning up

09-18-2011, 04:15 PM

My name is Matt an I am an alcoholic. It is very crazy for me to say to myself, even crazier to tell others. Today after many years of lying to myself, I went to my first meeting. It was hard not to cry in front of strangers. But I am gad that I went. Even though I had not yet hit rock bottom, I knew that was wear I was heading. A man at the meeting told me"You don't have to go to the basement, the elevator stops at every floor, you just need to decide to get off." I wrote my wife a letter telling her how sorry I am an also that today was the first day that I have decided to be sober. People say that it is ok to drink in moderation, well, to be very blunt, i have no idea what or wear moderation is.

i don't want this to sound as though I am going to just go through this without any effort or struggle. I know that it will be difficult. That is fine. I can do difficult. But it is not impossible.

I have an awesome wife that I love dearly and two beautiful sons that I would do anything for. I want to keep what I have.

I lied to myself for years. I thought I had it undercontrol. I was wrong. As I had said, it was crazy and difficult admitting it to myself, my wife, an a room full of strangers. BUT, I have to say that I feel better now. The problem isnt fixed yet, but I am heading in that direction. One positive side to this huge life change, I will definately have a lot more time for push-ups in the evening.

I think i have rambled long enough for now.

Matt

Share |

09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

On a lighter note...you'll have a lot more money, too.
God Bless you Matt and good luck. I know that everyone here will be pulling for you & praying for you.
Mike

Share |

Banned

09-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Mattman,

This is your first victory admitting it.There is a 62 year old guy at my work who has been going to meetings for close to 30 years.He tells people it does not stop with the first meeting.Keep praying to God and go to the meetings.I'll be praying for you and your family.God Bless

michael

Share |

Legacy Member

09-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Hey Matt,

It ain't easy. But, you're taking the first steps. I admire you for doing so. It takes guts. Check out the new title on this forum - Living Strength. By coming clean, you are practicing just that.

Greg

Share |

Author

09-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Hey Matt,

You have my Respect and admiration and you also have my prayers. The biggest victory we have in this life is the victory over ourselves. You have taken a giant step. God Bless You My Friend.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Way to go brother! As an alcoholic myself, I am proud of you, and I know that what you did today was not easy. You have made the right choice. This forum is very supportive. I will pray for you! You can do it!!!!

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

09-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Matt:

I admire the tremendous amount of courage it took for you to make that admission, even to yourself. Like everyone else here, we'll be praying for you and wish you the best as you begin this journey.

Manny

Share |

09-19-2011, 10:14 AM

God bless you, Matt. It takes a strong man to admit something like this. This is the first and probably most important step.

Share |

09-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Hello everyone,

I would like to starty off with saying thankyou to all of you. The kind words mean a lot. Today is day two, an I just got back from a morning meeting. What an eye opener. As I told my wife earlier on one hand I feel rather angery an annoyed that I allowed myself to get to this point. On the other hand, I am very thankful that I realized where i was heading an decided to take steps to fix the problem when I did. The only so far that is different from me and a lot of the people that I have met in the meetings is that I was lucky enough to want to quit sooner than they were. That could just as easily have been me.

The other HUGE take home point from the meetings that I have attended is that without surrendering to a high power(God), and admiting that you are powerless, you will not succeed. It is mind numbing how many people have told me that if it weren't for God and the program they would not be here now.

So, here I am. Learning, praying, and taking it one day at a time.

Share |

09-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Mattman,

Great post and glad you are doing this. Your in my prayers and I really apprciate your honesty, takes alot of stones to come clean,but sure your family will like it and most of all you will just get healthier and stronger.

Monty

Share |