Share |
VIDEO: John Peterson on the History of Exercise

Legacy Member

05-04-2010, 09:17 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed that! One very poignant comment struck me. Even if you lifted weights, this could become a part of your routine. Decades ago, that is what athletes who lifted weight did. Certain portions of the year they'd do calisthenics only.

In Arnold's Education of a Bodybuilder he talked about all the older bodybuilders he hung out with taking the summers off to do calisthenics by the lake. If lifting heavy weights is your thing, I believe you could extend your career with calisthenics, isometrics, DSR's and DVR's.

I have seen it enough to believe it, where someone maintained their strength and development by training heavy with the weights one day a week. One could easily do 20 minutes of Isometrics, DVR's or DSR's other days without overtraining.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

05-05-2010, 05:22 AM

You bring up a really good point, Greg, it's probably something we should encourage more. I know a lot of guys lift weights because they just enjoy lifting weights. I was never the gym rat type so Transformetrics really grabbed me. But even if you are, and you enjoy pressing weight, taking time off here and there to do Transformetrics will not only improve your performance in the gym but also help your weight lifting career last longer.

I remember reading that part on Arnold's book, he referred to bodyweight exercises as a "tonic". I really do think the body was largely made to move the body and bodyweight exercises building muscular structure more completely than weight lifting. Also, there's the fact that so much weight lifting has become isolation movements.

I don't see how you could go wrong spending a few days a week on Transformetrics or taking a break from the gym every few weeks to focus on Transformetrics.

I'm sure Greg M. can vouch for plenty of weight lifters benefiting from VRT as a supplement rather than replacement as well.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

05-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Great video!!

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

05-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Outstanding video John! Looking forward to the next one!!

Jesus Christ

Share |

05-07-2010, 02:02 PM

The impact that this video is having around the internet is fantastic. I have buzzed several physical culture oriented forums of friend and foe alike and it is causing a stir everywhere. On one forum it got 1,000 hits in the first day - I have never seen a response like that on that site. It is really great to see and a validation of one of my favroite quotes,"The strongest force in the world is an idea whose time has come."

Share |

Author

05-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
I'm sure Greg M. can vouch for plenty of weight lifters benefiting from VRT as a supplement rather than replacement as well.

-Joe
Joe, many VRT students have written letters to me (before email) and many by email, since being on the internet, about the life-transforming experience of being able to "lift weights" by NOT actually lifting weights; and found it to be even more stimulating and strenuous on the body than weekly weight workouts.

I always loved the "pump," and even Arnold delighted in the feeling of it with his weight workouts. The "Pump" just feels so darn good, that swelling sensation all over. Now you can have it without the weights.

--Greg Mangan

Share |