Share |
Forget the self help books!

01-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Hi,

I hope you are all well. I did not know which forum to put this post in.However considering that we are talking about the complete person I thought that this is the best place.

I must admit that over the past few months I have read several self help books.These were wide ranging.However from these I was drawn into reading about mysteries and conspiracies etc.

There is nothing wrong with having an enquiring mind but all of a sudden I felt I had searched to far and I was uncomfortable with what I was reading.It was not even as if I was out of my comfort zone but something was off.

I had a very clear message to really go back to the ultimate self help book- the Bible.I also stopped reading fiction books and felt as if I just really wanted to read biographies and autobiographies that enpowered me.

So what is my point?

There is so much information in our lives that we can be pulled off course without even realising it.

Pray for discernment in your life.

Share |

Author

01-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Hello Eddy1,

Personally, I could not agree more completely with YOU and the reason is because for me THE BIBLE is the "TRUE NORTH FOUNDATION and STANDARD" by which everything else is judged. Without a foundation from which to operate our lives I can't understand how anyone can have a basis for sound moral judgement.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-09-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy1 View Post

I had a very clear message to really go back to the ultimate self help book- the Bible.I also stopped reading fiction books and felt as if I just really wanted to read biographies and autobiographies that enpowered me.

So what is my point?

There is so much information in our lives that we can be pulled off course without even realising it.

Pray for discernment in your life.
Thanks for posting this Eddy, very inspirational. Self help books are great, of all of them I enjoy Franklin Covey's philosophy, which is the most biblical in nature. Searching for excellence in all we do is God Breathed and should be lauded and applauded.. ( sorry for the rhyme).

With all the focus here on self mastery, achieving your ultimate version of yourself, etc... it can become quite easy to lose track of the true purpose of the Bible, as well as lose track of who we really are in the grand scheme of things. We are not God's (big g), nor are we superhuman, yes we are created in the image of God (big G), but we need to recognize our place and purpose.

Like you I'm a big fan of autobiographical type literature, as well as anything Non-Fiction, I think for mainly the same reasons..

There is a fantastic article by John Piper about the true purpose or reading the Bible very well worth the read:

Here are the main points
#1: The Ultimate Goal Is Worship

Our ultimate goal in reading the Bible is that Godís infinite worth and beauty would be exalted in the everlasting, white-hot worship of the blood-bought Bride of Christ from every people, language, tribe, and nation.

Six implications to establish.
1. The infinite worth and beauty of God are the ultimate value and excellence of the universe.Jesus

2. The supremely authentic and intense worship of Godís worth and beauty is the ultimate aim of all his work and word.

3. We should always read Godís word in order to see this supreme worth and beauty.

4. We should aim in all our seeing to savor Godís excellence above all things.

5. In all our reading of the Bible, we should aim to be transformed by this seeing and savoring into the likeness of his beauty.

This is my personal favorite point the applies to self mastery, You cannot look into yourself for the transformational powers that most people seek (fan the flames of goodness inside you, etc.), that is simply called idolatry, or worshiping the creation not the creator.

6. We read the Bible so that more and more people would be drawn into the worshiping family of God until the Bride of Christ ó across all centuries and cultures ó is complete in number and beauty.

Its well worth the read (https://www.desiringgod.org/messages...ding-the-bible)

Thoughts ( if your read the article)

Share |

01-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Two books that have helped my life and marriage are

Real Love by Greg Baer

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Love-Unc...e+by+greg+baer

and
Love What is by Byron Katie

https://www.amazon.com/Loving-What-F...s=love+what+is

Worth looking at

Monty

Share |