Share |
(Not) training to failure

01-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I know that (not) training to failure has been discussed many times on this forum and many of the forum members agree that training to failure does nothing less than training your CNS to “fail” and should be avoided. However, I would like to add one more thought with maybe a slightly different approach: unfortunately, in our (western) society from childhood on many of us are told not to be “good enough” in several ways. This may happen explicitly by teachers or even the own parents or in a subtle way simply by being excluded or ignored by other individuals or groups. While I’m sure that many of us are on the “winning” side of life once in a while I’m convinced that most people get to know the feeling of loosing and being neglected more often than they like. And certainly, I’m not an exception. While I thank God for the rich life He offers me in His incomprehensible grace every day with my wife, kids and friends, painful black stitches in my soul are part of my reality as well, for not being as good as I want to be or as I supposed to be by others.

What has all this to do with exercise? In my opinion, if you prefer to work out every day - as I do - and you go to failure every time or most of the time then you tell yourself and your God-given body every single day in every single set of exercise that you are simply not “good enough”. That you fall behind (your own) expectations. It’s like chasing your own shadow. You’ll never achieve your goal and you'll hardly be in tune with yourself.

Instead, cherish your body, make it tough, enjoy movement and keep some challenges coming but always reward yourself by reaching the “finishing line” without killing yourself a few steps before. And as far as results and development (“progression”) are concerned: I’m most successful mid-term and long-term when I keep my efforts to 60-70% max. Even than I feel that I have left enough “in the tank” for this once in a lifetime emergency that hopefully will never happen.

Share |

Author

01-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Hello Upshur74,

Great Insights! Thank You for sharing them here.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2018, 06:48 AM

Good insight posted Upshur.
I will go a step further and state that many of our youthful athletic endeavors where coaches had us going to failure on a daily basis and later we trained ourselves to failure, exposed us to long term physical damage and pain.
How many great athletes (who clearly pushed themselves to failure) are now hobbling around in their 50s? I think that for a long healthy pain-free life one should probably avoid training to failure. I have often thought that I would have been nicer to myself if I had known that one day I really would be 65 years old.

Tim

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2018, 07:33 AM

GREAT thread!!!
Jim

Share |

01-13-2018, 03:45 PM

There is no need to train to failure. Remember that one maximal Isometric contraction of 7 to 10 seconds is all that you need to develop maximum strength. John's new development of the improved Isometric Power Belt may be the ultimate way to apply and benefit from this principle by creating higher intensity on the weakest links.

Last edited by Andy62; 01-13-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Share |