Share |
Inner strength

01-19-2018, 11:34 AM

I posted this sometime ago,but I am doing it again for the new members who didn't see it

" In SCIENCE STUDIES YOGA, Dr James Funderburks describes a 106 pound IndianYogi, who exhibited remarkable strength for his 67 year old body. He strapped a 3/8 inch metal chain around his waist and to his feet. The chain was previously tested to withstand 650 pounds of pressure without so much as bending. The small yogi began with a minute of preparatory breathing exercises, then as he exhaled he pushed his feet against the chain. The chain shattered."

Dr. James Funderburks is a graduate of Yale University where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated magna cum laude. He later completed his Ph.D in mathematics from the University Of Wisconsin at Madison. He was a student of Sri Swami Rama, one of the pioneers in merging yoga and modern science [see link below]

The subject was Yogi Ramanad of Mysore. "He was studied by the Himalayan Institute and Forest Hospital Des Plaines, Illinois, under the general direction of Rudolph M. Ballentine, Jr. M.D. and the technical assistance of Robert Gibbons....Ballentine and Gibbons provided a more detailed description of their observation of the chain breaking. Preliminary to the demonstration, the subject underwent a full test of his physical strength conducted by the Occupational Therapy Department of another nearby hospital. The test showed the subject's physical strength to be normal for his age group. Next the chain to be broken was tested, and shown to require a tension of 650 pounds before a link began to bend. During the period of breaking the chain the subject was monitored both by video tape and by a gas analyzer which was set up to analyze each breath the subject took..........When asked to break the chain, the subject was measured to increase the respiration rate to 18 breaths per minute for a duration of one minute. Then he took one breath [ O2, analyzed to 21% ] for 13 seconds and exhaled at the time of the chain breakage. Upon examination the link that broke was found to be severed in half, rather than bent open."

http://www.oocities.org/swamiramabio...hSwamiRama.htm

Share |

01-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Gordon, Thanks for sharing!

Share |

Author

01-19-2018, 06:37 PM

Hello Gordon,

Thank You!!! That is the post I was hoping you would re-post.

The message is obvious.

When we master the meditative state and apply it to Isometric contraction we then master both breath control and the ability to maximize the number of muscle fibers that are activated for any given exertion. It is interesting to read exactly how the yogi performed his feat.:

Quote:
"When asked to break the chain, the subject was measured to increase the respiration rate to 18 breaths per minute for a duration of one minute. Then he took one breath [ O2, analyzed to 21% ] for 13 seconds and exhaled at the time of the chain breakage. Upon examination the link that broke was found to be severed in half, rather than bent open."

Note: Upon examination the link that broke was found to be severed in half, rather than bent open.

That my friends means that so much tension was suddenly applied to the chain that it snapped.

Thanks Again Gordon

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 01-20-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Share |

01-20-2018, 09:36 AM

John, The points made in that post were further emphasized by Swami Rama :

Swami Rama , the principal subject of the research on yogis at the Menninger Foundation, said of these yogic type exercises that they have “Benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercises one vitalizes muscles, respiration, senses, nervous system and mind..............

Most importantly, in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind itself. One makes a dramatic step through the layers of personality to the Center of the mind and consciousness.” Swami Rama,“Exercise Without Movement”

Share |

Author

01-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Hey Gordon,

Spot On!!! Your post reminds me of a quote by Galen Gough. Obviously different words BUT the thought behind it is virtually the same message.

"One day in a blinding flash came the solution to my problems, I knew that henceforth my only hope lay within my mind, that there must be mind with matter, a complete coordination of mental and physical forces. Here only could victory be achieved. I unlocked pure willpower with nothing else, except , of course, the imagination which prompted it. I realized then that physical strength was not a matter of muscles and bones alone, it was much more of the mind."

---John Peterson

Share |

01-22-2018, 10:28 AM

John 14: 12 -14
12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Share |