Share |
VIDEO: More rope climbing!

Legacy Member

03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

My phone just came out with a new update that allows for the capture of video! Which is cool because I can shoot a video and upload it pretty quickly and easily. So today while at my gymnastics club, I handed one of the girls my phone and let her record me doing a little rope climbing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I LOVE rope climbing. I wish I had a rope like this one at home. Mine is all well and good, but it's only 1 1/4 inch thick and is made of nylon. So grip strength is a major challenge with it. These kinds of ropes cost a pretty penny anywhere I've seen them on-line, so I'm glad I've got the gymnastics club to play around with it.

I can actually get about 2/3rds the way up in a pretty good L-Sit and thought about doing that. Then I though, people are gonna wanna see ya get to the top! And you gotta give the people what they want!!

First day I tried this rope out I asked one of the coach, "Can I try the rope." It was kinda off limits because they don't want anyone getting hurt. He said, "Sure, but only if you can climb it without using your feet."

He though that would deter me.

-Joe

P.S. I weigh about 190lbs right now if you're curious.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Joe,

John has a name for this. It is called going Tarzan style. Good job.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

03-02-2010, 09:12 PM

The bright colors, kids painting and little girl getting a drink of water in the background does kinda detract from the manliness though, doesn't it. Come one Greg, you can be honest with me. I can take it.

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 03-03-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Share |

03-02-2010, 09:55 PM

great work Joe!!

Share |

03-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Good job. Now you need a pegboard, too. To me, they are the same fun as rope-climbing if they are the square type (6 X 6 holes?) that let you walk all over the wall up high.

You were nice and steady on your one arm holds (while changing hands) up there.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

03-03-2010, 07:53 AM

I need to get me a peg board. I'd like to have that and a climbing wall. My plan for this summer is to move my pull-up sled outside and get a place where I have three ropes side by side, a climbing wall and some gymnastics rings. As it is, I can't really train with any friends because my room is WAY to small, so it's time to move my operation outside!

-Joe

Share |

03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Joe,

Great job, and I must say the descent to me was even more impressive. You were extremely smooth and it looked like you are in complete control over your body. I for one would like to see the L-sit version even if you cannot get as high. I've always been impressed with people that can do that.

But in any case, very well done, keep up the great work.

Jon

Share |

Author

03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Hey Joe,

You remind of my favorite Tarzan, Jock Mahoney in the way you did that rope climb right down to the joy of muscular movement that comes across in that video. It's obvious that you are reveling in your Tarzan style strength and fitness. It was a joy to watch. Absolutely great Joe. Fact is, you are exhibiting a fantastic strength/endurance to body weight ratio in that video. Your grip strength is totally exceptional. But I want to caution our other friends that have not built up to this feat of enduring strength from trying to duplicate what they saw you do in this video.

SO EVERYONE READING THIS PLEASE PAY ATTENTION: I once saw a man slide down a rope swing about 12 feet before he was in the water and end up with the most horrific friction burn on his hands that I had ever seen. His hands literally looked like raw hamburger as a result. So here's the deal. Even though Joe makes it look easy, TRUST ME! IT'S NOT! Joe worked long and hard to be able to do what you saw in that Video Clip. And the reason he can do that is because he built his muscles by using his own body weight from all angles and directions. What you just saw is a demonstration of real functional strength that is backed by endurance. This kind of strength is not developed by sitting at machines and isolating muscles. What you saw exhibited was every muscle in Joe's entire body working together synergistically. Don't be fooled and think that it was just his arms alone doing the work. The muscles of his legs, hips, and core were equally involved and contracting powerfully as was his neck and lats. In fact, every muscle in his body including those of his legs and hips were contracting Isometrically with far more power than if he had integrated them into the actual climbing of the rope. One last thing Joe, that looked like a lot more than twenty feet to me.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-03-2010, 05:54 PM

If you don't have a rope yet, get a set of Warrior Power-T's to build up your grip strength, I'll tell you from my experience these are fantastic at this.

Jon

Share |

Author

03-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Hey Jon,

Excellent advice Brother Jon! The Warrior Power T's are intimidating at first because of the requisite grip strength required to do even one. But they offer the quickest and best way to build sensational grip and forearm strength (not to mention forearms like Popeye, but we don't supply anchor tattoos, you have to pay for your own.). They are also the only Push-Up device that really involve the biceps almost equally with the triceps. One other thing, we have intentionally kept the bottom portion that makes contact with the floor completely rounded rather than flat in order to make the exercise far more difficult and beneficial. We will never offer them with the flat bottoms because doing so makes them far more stable and easy to balance and diminishes their effectiveness to a great degree. So much so that you may as well not even do them because it allows a person to kid themselves into thinking they are far stronger than they are. I'd love to see anybody try Handstand Push-Ups with a pair of our Warrior Power T's.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
joe justice, video