Share |
VIDEO: More rope climbing!

Legacy Member

03-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Jon,

I think the Power Ts were the single biggest factor in building up my grip strength in order to climb a rope. When I first bough my rope, I could barely hang onto it. I worked a lot with the Ts for a few months and was able to make the climb pretty much the first time I tried after that.

What John says about the Ts sold here is 100% true. Only time I've ever seen someone do handstand push-ups with Ts, they were using a home-made kind with shorter, wider wooden dowels that were flat on the bottom. The guy was inspired by the original sold here, but too cheap to buy them, I guess. Or just intimidated, who knows?

John,

Yeah, it's not easy Actually the hard part is coming down, I don't know if it's psychological, physiological or bio-mechanical, but for me, the transition from upwards momentum to downward momentum has always been the most frightening point of the climb. You also have to keep in mind that you need enough gas in the tank to get back down! If you use all your energy to climb up, well, you got a problem.

That day at the gymnastics club there were a few girls who were pole vaulters. I know NOTHING about pole vaulting, but I guess they use the rope a lot in their training. The coach had me helping the girls learn how to climb the rope. I started them off with the simple, easy version; using your feet to grip the rope. Then the arms only version and finally the L-Sit version. So far they're still working on the feet dependent variation. But that's OK! Rome wasn't built in a day and it takes time to get everything clicking with something like rope climbing. Like John said, it's a full body exercise.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

03-03-2010, 07:48 PM

BTW, I have no idea how long that rope is. I'll let you guys guesstimate. Last time I posted my rope video and said it was 20 feet a YouTube Cop told me it was only 13 feet and I was 7 feet tall!! Take a look at the video if you don't believe me, I left the comment up because I thought it was hilarious.

-Joe

Share |

Author

03-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Hey Joe,

You made a point that bears re-emphasis, "You also have to keep in mind that you need enough gas in the tank to get back down! If you use all your energy to climb up, well, you got a problem." This cannot be re-emphasized enough Joe. Here's the deal, when learning to climb a rope, climb up only as far as you are sure(as in certain) that you can climb down. If for any reason you climb higher than you can climb down you could end with a horrific friction burn from sliding down the rope. Also realize that Joe is right on the money about climbing down because you are climbing with gravity instead of against it and as a result are using your muscles in a way that feels like you are climbing down with "the breaks on". It can actually consume more strength and energy than the upward climb. So be careful.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-04-2010, 05:53 AM

Hey Joe,

I am writing this because I know that your critics peruse this forum more than we do, and we are moderators! But, the snide comments come from people who have no power in their own lives. They can't do what you are doing and they have never made the results you have made. You used to weight 250 pounds. Now at 6-2, you weigh 190. The guys who are so disparaging of your rope climbling abilities can't even begin to do what you are doing.

In fact, this jealousy thing all started when you posted the video of the superburpees and you eclipsed the number of superburpees another gentleman posted. Suddenly, you weren't Joe Justice the fat guy anymore and this made the guys who've been stuck in the same training rut year after year nervous. Too often people have glossed over the training methods promoted by John, taking a thing or two here, but not really buying into what he is promoting. You and I have bought into it wholesale and are reaping the results. Some people have a hard time with that, especially since we give John Peterson credit.

Greg Newton

Share |

Legacy Member

03-04-2010, 06:19 AM

I am unbearably good looking, too. So I can understand the jealousy. But for the record, I'm 6'1".

Thanks Greg,
-Joe

Share |

Banned

03-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Joe that is impressive, climbing with just your hands and arms is true strength!

Those that can't just criticize! Let's see thier video climbing a rope like you. My bet is they won't take that challenge. Empty words from empty men, talk is cheap.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Joe,

That was great thanks for posting it.

You and a few others here have posted your progress for the world to see and Iím sure that it has helped and encouraged many. Your personal physician must be impressed with the change / Transformation that you have gone through.

Keep it up

GB

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

03-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Wow Joe! That was pretty impressive my brother! Thanks for posting the video man (it looks like I need to start working on rope training again )

Jesus Christ

Share |

Banned

03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Great video!! Don't worry about detractors, they either can't do what you can or they do and don't credit you with inspiring and guiding them. I know of one other person who was apparently inspired by you training with a rope, who works out with ropes after seeing your videos. A 6'01" 195 lb guy who can do that is in the catagory of Green Beret, Special Forces condition. But not all should try to do this workout at first. Some people who are out of shape or chronically suffering training injury, must accept their limitations and skip trying to do what you can. Either way, great job Joe!

Share |

Legacy Member

03-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey, DT, thank you so much. I'm really glad to hear I have inspired others to train and to push themselves.

-Joe

Share |

Tags
joe justice, video