Share |
Doc Moore: Prescription to Beat Depression

Author

05-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Hey Friends,

From time to time I receive e-mails from people that are in a state of depression. I feel for them. And when I read their e-mails It reminds of a story I read about Charles Atlas that happened at the beginning of the Great Depression on Friday, October 29, of 1929. A man that worked at the New York Stock exchange called Charles Atlas and told him that he had lost everything in the crash and that he was going to kill himself. Atlas counseled him to get up, stop whining, and to start exercising. "Now more than ever", Atlas told the man, "you need the benefits of a strong mind working with a strong body so that you can reapply your efforts to new and better things." Atlas then reminded him that just as life took a change for the worst it can also take a change for the best and that when it does take that change he needed to ready for it in order to take full advantage of it and that he wouldn't be if he just sat there wallowing in self pity. Atlas literally saved that mans life.

So why am I writing this? Because someone reading this has thought about killing himself because of all that he has lost. He can't believe that he will ever be happy again BUT HE WILL BE if he has the guts to LIVE! He too needs to realize that just as bad things happened that were totally outside of his locus of control, so too can good things and when the good things come he needs Living Strength to take full advantage of them. He needs to be strong in Body, Mind & Spirit.

Now having said what I have said. I want you to read Dr. Moore's Life Prescription to beat depression.

Here it is:

Quote:
I do several Tiger Moves before and after every burst of strict push-ups. All day long.

Movement signals to the brain that something important is happening (ancestrally --survival/earning). When you're sitting around, you're not convincing your brain that learning is necessary. From your brain's perspective, sedentation means you're safe. Nothing important is happening and it's time to rest.

Dopamine is a key player in the reward system → all about motivation and attention, and is responsible for that feeling of satisfaction when we accomplish something.

Studies show that exercise boosts motivation by increasing dopamine storage and triggering the creation of dopamine receptors in the reward center.

Aside from its positive effects on dopamine, exercise also elevates norepinephrine and serotonin. When these three neurotransmitters are in deficit, people become depressed.

Move. Move every 20 minutes. It's effortless. It's fun...

What you have just read is a prescription for L-I-V-I-N-G. It costs nothing and yet it delivers extraordinary benefits that cannot be obtained with pharmaceuticals. Regardless of what you have read or been told you cannot drug yourself into happiness. Far from it. It is a fact that often times people that become dependent upon anti-depressants become so depressed that they commit suicide. Bottomline: If you want to beat depression....Get up! Start exercising.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Great Post John! I hope this post helps many folks.

Science opens doors, and this another why exercise builds the spirit.

PS: I emailed a copy of Doc Moore's advice to a friend that gets down.

Last edited by MikeNY; 05-19-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: PS

Share |

05-19-2017, 12:47 PM

“The most important skill any of us can master is creative visualization. Creative visualization is the art of creating pictures in your mind of something you would like happen in the future.“ Albert Einstein

Share |

05-30-2017, 09:50 PM

John,

Thank you for this post. My wife and I have been separated for several months and, at age 61, I am probably facing a divorce. I don't want this but as a counselor told me today, "It takes two to get married but only one to divorce.".

I can attest to the fact that exercise definitely helps one to deal with the emotions and pain that come with this type of situation.

I am a Christian and extra time in the Scriptures and prayer has been a lifeline. I know I'm not alone.

So I've got two good, reliable lifelines, exercise and faith. Plus family and friends (including those on this forum*), so there's a third lifeline.

Michael

(*Even if it's not a "live" conversation, I usually feel like I'm sitting in a comfortable chair with friends in front of a cheery fireplace; kinda like C. S. Lewis and his "Inkling" friends in the pub.)

Share |

Author

05-31-2017, 12:56 PM

Thank You Late Bloomer,

You'll make it my friend. We're all pulling for you.

Your message is a compliment to every man on this forum.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Combine the exercise with Iso Dynamic Contraction and with all the strength of your Will continue to drive the new thoughts and images along your neural highway past your existing emotional brakes to the center of your mind where the new positives can replace the old negatives.

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve.”
Napoleon Hill

Share |