Share |
Tagging your posts and using tags

Legacy Member

12-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Looks like we've got a real "How to improve the forum" theme going on this week! In that spirit, I'd like to point out to everyone the concept of "tags", how to tag your posts and how to use them.

Tags are little keywords that can be used to organize threads. Rather than get into a big explanation of how they work let me just show you. Check out this link to see our site's "Tag Cloud": http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/tags.php Go ahead and take a look now and I'll be waiting here for when you get back....

Okay, all of those words and phrases are tags that have been applied to threads. Notice how the font size is different? The larger the font, the more threads are associate with that tag. Click on one of those links and you'll get a list of all of the threads that have that particular tag.

The tag cloud is really cool and helpful when you might not know exactly what you're looking for. You can take a look at the tag cloud and find words and phrases that interest you and get an idea of how many people are talking about it based on it's size.

To get to the tag cloud click Search and select Tag Search from the drop down.

Also, at the bottom of a thread there is a list of tags. Clicking on any of those tags will show a list of all threads containing that tag. It's a great way to search for related topics.

Now here's the deal, that tag system only works if you tag your threads! This is something I have not been as diligent about as I should be. So I'm going to change that, and I invite you all to tag your threads as well, that will be very helpful for all members, new and old.

You tag a thread when you start it. Just below the message box you'll see a little box for Tags. All you have to do is start typing a keyword in. Now, the system will give you suggestions on words as you type. Just select the tag you want if one already exist, else it will create a new one.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Joe

Share |

12-15-2009, 10:45 AM

That's cool. I never knew that. I knew about tags on YouTube but never noticed them on forums.

I was surprised to not see my name in the link, but then I guess the font would be too big to fit on the screen.

Tom

Share |

Tags
forum, information