Share |
VIDEO: Certified He-Man: Episode 3 - Gymnastics Bridging

Legacy Member

12-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Hey Joe,

That was a fantastic video. I liked the transition photos. Also, that is superb athleticism from a former nonathlete. You ever wonder where the jocks you went to high school are today so that you could go by their house and challenge them to do what you can do now?

Share |

Legacy Member

12-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Hey Greg, I never really had any kind of rivalries or bad blood with any of the jocks in high school. So I don't have any animosity towards them. Dunno if I'm just an affable chap or if we just didn't have many meatheads per capita. People I didn't get along with in High School were all preppy wannabees. I doubt I'm every going to challenge them to any competitions

There was one girl who was use to try to make fun of me a lot. It never bothered me, I don't care what people say about me. One day her friends had done something to her, I don't know what, and I saw her crying in the back of a class. I went back and talked to her, at first she was scared because I think she thought I was up to some kind of trick, but we ended up getting along and talked for awhile. She was on the Yearbook committee and later that year she asked me if I would write a quote for the yearbook. I wrote a paragraph and the editors like it so much they made it the opening of the senior section. I actually got several complements about that at the 10 Year Reunion, people had forgotten about it until the reopened the Yearbook in getting ready for the reunion.

I like to be open to people. Grudges never pay off, I never think about people who have wronged me. So I could never do something just to show someone else up.

I will say that when I was in high school and you asked me what "athleticism" was I would have probably said, "Looking like Hulk Hogan or Arnold Schwarzenegger". I never had any concept of what true athleticism really was. (I didn't help that I was blind and one eye and couldn't catch a ball)

-Joe

Share |

12-21-2009, 08:16 PM

That was impressive; I do a lot of hand bridging, but have never tried "falling back " into one.

Keep up the good work!

Share |

Legacy Member

12-21-2009, 08:54 PM

FYI, Falling back into a bridge is called a "Back Bend"

-Joe

Share |

Banned

12-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Joe you are a real man, High School should be what you made it and you took the High Road. Not surprised you enjoy a joke and you get along here with everyone. Now you have the body and strength to go along with the warrior spirit for the warrior is the protector. That vidoe show a young man in the prime of health, barely one out of 50,000 men could even try that. Joe you make us proud to know you.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Mike, you're makin' me blush, brother! Thank you for the kind words, I really do appriciate them.

Donna, the real "trick" to moving your body backwards is to follow you hands with your eyes. Never look up or away. The same thing is key for doing a back handspring. Even with a tuck (backflip) you should see the ground during the maneuver.

The other trick, I suppose is making sure you have the prerequisite strength and flexibility to do it. :rofl:

-Joe

Share |

12-21-2009, 09:41 PM

I love these "Certified He-Man" videos, Joe. And thanks for reminding me of wall walks and the things one can learn to do with bridging. I'll have to try a wall walk or two again soon.

Share |

12-22-2009, 01:09 AM

Wow. That was humiliating.

I used to do those bridges no problem. A couple or three months ago I messed up my shoulder going crazy on a dip/pull-up tower all of a sudden. For the last several weeks there has been no pain in my shoulder, even after a bad week of baseball throwing soreness. I thought I was all cured.

Anyhow, I just got down to do some of those variations on the video and couldn't even do a simple bridge. My right shoulder said no way. It was one of those things where the bodypart doesn't even try because it knows it will get hurt. Not a single one. Jeesh.

Oh well. I guess that simplifies my near-term goals.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 05:12 AM

Tom's near term goal: He-Man Certification!!

-Joe

Share |

12-22-2009, 05:52 AM

Certificates? We don't need no stinking certificates!

At my age, Sonny, I've lost more certificates than you'll ever own.

Still . . . . . it's humiliating.

Share |

Tags
certified he-man, joe justice, video