Share |
VIDEO: Handstand drills

Legacy Member

01-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Hey guys, I've tried to get away from the "talking into the camera" style video blogs and up them to more quality productions, but every now and then I see some questions on the forum that can be covered very quickly and I don't really need a whole Certified He-Man style video. So I'm starting a new type of series called Certified He-Man Quickies! Pretty basic, point and shoot instructional videos.

My first one has to do with some hand balancing questions I've seen. If you are interested in doing a handstand and hand balancing stunts be sure to pick up a copy of Balance Of Power. In it, John Peterson give you all of the exercises and instruction you need to build up the strength required for hand balancing. Once you've got the skill down and can hold a handstand against a wall, doing a free standing one is just a matter of practice.

With that said, there are are few drills that I did (and still do) that will greatly accelerate your learning curve. In this Certified He-Man Quickie, I demonstrate those drills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

BTW, I don't recommend you fall into a bridge at the end of a handstand the way I did, kick down to your feat instead. The only reason I did was because it's part of a stunt I'm working on and I just did it out of habit.

Let me know if you have and questions!

-Joe

Share |

01-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Way Cool Joe!

All the Best!

Bill

Share |

Banned

01-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Great video Joe!

Share |

01-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Now that was a completely different way of progressing than I've heard. I like it. What little I've done has been wall things or just trying it and either succeeding and coming down by just one step or rolling out of it. I like the flow of your progression. It accepts and works with the natural stumbling along the way. Is this something you were taught in your gymnastics class?

I don't see what quality problem you are talking about. You're outside, talking to the viewer, demonstrating, talking, it's well edited, whassaproblem. You don't have that backdrop screen behind you, but so what. By the way, what is that backdrop screen? I'm thinking of upgrading my blankets covering the dirty dishes background on mine.

Great job as usual,
Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

01-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks guys!

Tom, actually most of the girls in my gymnastics class (I'm the only dude) have previous experience so the subject of hand balancing has never come up; everyone can already do it. Actually, I don't know what you'd do if you weren't able yet, but I've only been going for a few months, so maybe I just haven't seen a really new person.

This progression is just something I work out myself. To get here I used John's book and then worked up do being able to hold a handstand against a wall for two minutes. By that point I knew I had the strength, so I needed a way to break the (more or less) mental barrier of relying on the wall.

As for quality, I didn't actually plan and script this one. I just asked my wife to hold the camera while I talked. It works fine with a simple subject, but if you want to get a more complex concept across you end up editing it and saying, "Oh I should have said this" or "I should have said that." I guess the quality issue is more in my own mind when I'm editing than anything else.

Just Goggle "muslin photography backdrop" if you want your own background

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-17-2010, 05:11 AM

Not long. I'd say six months or so, maybe. A year at most.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-17-2010, 05:50 AM

Great One Joe!

I love the progression and also your production is great for the vid.

Have been off hand balancing for quite some time-time to get back on it.As a young lad I used to beat everyone at hand stand walking-pushups,etc...I could even walk up and down stairs!

Anyways great work,great vid!

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

01-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Hey Joe,

Excellent presentation. You have mastered the art of being the guide on the side, rather than the sage on the stage. People can look at you and see an average guy who has made exceptional change over time. They can relate to that more so than than if you came off as if you were trying to let everyone know how great you are. Your delivery is great, your personality is upbeat, and you are capable of demonstrating what you are showing. Good jo b.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

01-17-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
They can relate to that more so than than if you came off as if you were trying to let everyone know how great you are.
I am pretty great, though. Just to let everyone know.

Seriously, thanks Greg, you have encapsulated what I'm always striving for.

Hey Jason, that's pretty impressive. I've just started working on really getting walking on my hands down. That's a fun skill. Seems to me hand balancing stunts are the single best display of functional strength. Why? Because you can do it anywhere in any cloths (outside of a blazer maybe).

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Ha Joe,

You are also pretty funny. But seriously, you do a good job in your presentation. Marketed videos and videos off You-Tube are varied in their approach. John for instance, has a good delivery and teaching style, and comes across as the humble expert who knows what he is talking about and who has more than extra go to go wiith the show. Others I've seen, while maybe being advanced athletes, have a delivery that comes off arrogant and condescending.

There are also those that don't have a clue as to what they are doing other than to take people's money. I'll never forget the commercial video I saw of the fat guy with the bad back, talking his way through various exercises (which he failed to do, by the way) and digging and scratching at his butt and crotch the whole time. Lori was dancing around mad saying that that guy was making money off of that ridiculous video, and why wasn't I doing the same, because she and I could do a whole lot better.

Greg

Share |

Tags
balance of power, certified he-man, handstand, joe justice, video