Share |
Duff's G.U.T.S.

Legacy Member

01-20-2011, 05:05 AM

Duff,

well, nice to know I am not the only one who has difficulty in keeping with a given programme . I tend to vary (too) often as well. A couple of months ago I bought the book "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren (a SpecOps instructor for the US Army). It's a bodyweight exercise book, with a complete program in it, and around 128 bodyweight exercises, from the very simple ones to the most difficult ones. I started on that, but I must confess I felt like a traitor to John, this forum and the Transformetrics system. So I came back to G.U.T.S. and Powerflex. One thing I do tend to keep from the above named book is the variation in doing pyramids, sets, supersets, tabatas and so on.
Wishing you all the best with sticking to your plan,

Jan

Share |

Banned

01-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi Duff,

I, too, went a bit stale on GUTS towards the end of last year. I think it was down to the start of the winter, training late at night and getting up very early in the morning. To correct this, I gave myself a month in December for an active lay-off, just doing five sets of various push-ups evenly spaced out through the day.
Im now concentrating on bodyweight strength training for a change for the next few weeks before may be starting back on the road to GUTS towards the end of Feb/March. Ive also got to try and eat more, I tend to get through the day just eating fruit and its not enough when the weather is bad. The strenght training is centred around power moves - pistol (assisted), Atlas III push-ups, one legged deadlift, one legged Rumaninan deadlift, DVR pull-ups, pike push-ups 8as sub for HSPU) with crunches and bridging thrown in as extras. Its sometimes difficult to force myself to rest between sets but Im enjoyingthe change of pace!!!

Your plans look interesting and Ill certainly be keeping an eye on your progress. I often think about changing to another routine, especially when Ive just started something new - guess its just human nature!!! I find it best to have a time goal to work towards. Ill be turning 50 in April so my first goal this year is to be in the best shape possible for my 50th.
Good luck in your training.

Regards,
Mark

Share |

01-21-2011, 04:51 PM

The last couple days I've been doing a modified GUTS in the mornings with half range-of-motion knee pushups, coffin situps (reach towards hands instead of hands behind head but legs flat like Atlas situps), and Tiger Bend Squats (just as many as I can do in one set, usually around 30). So far I haven't felt burnt out at all from this morning regimen and have had lots of energy for my evening strength workouts so I'm going to stick with it.

I've also added 10 minutes of deep breathing/pranayama in the mornings right when I get up. I'm currently doing 30 rounds of 10 seconds in, 10 seconds out with the ujayii or "darth vader" style breathing (close your throat slightly to make the sound, keep the sound going on inhale and exhale). I'm using my Gymboss to time myself (one could easily use a stopwatch too, or just count internally).

I figure if I can add 1 second per week to just exhale then 1 second to inhale the next week, by the end of the year I might be able to do the :30 in / :30 out for 30 minutes that John's vegan friend does. I'm wary of pushing too hard too fast though, so I'll only advance as much as I feel I can handle, judging by my energy levels and how the breath actually feels when I'm practicing (no straining). I've always had a huge lung capacity from being a trumpet player and singer from a young age, so I think I can do it if I'm patient enough. If it takes me 2 or 3 years even, that's fine too.

I also played around with some assisted 1-leg squats the other night using gymnastic rings. This was a really fun workout session---will be doing more of this on my leg strength day (Wednesdays). With the rings, it feels very safe on my joints.

Last edited by duff; 01-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Share |

01-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Hi Jan,

I've been curious about that particular book as well. I don't think it's necessarily disloyal to try lots of things, but I also hear ya. I've been doing some club swinging too but I know that we don't discuss weight training on this forum. I really like the community spirit here so I try not to upset the delicate balance by pushing other methods even though my interests range widely (and wildly!). I've also done some Tabatas with bodyweight stuff, but I didn't like the feel of starting and stopping again and again.

p.s. Your back is looking very wide in that photo of yours! Me, I've only recently discovered I have lats.

Share |

01-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Hi Mark,

I tried some assisted one-leg squats the other night using my gymnastic rings for support. I put as little weight as I needed on the rings, just enough to pull out of the bottom position and to lower myself more slowly. It was really fun, and seemed totally safe on my knee joints too. If you don't have rings, I think one could use two chairs, probably with the backs facing you on either side so you could put your hands on the tops of the chairs. Of course, if you can already do full one-leg squats, then you don't need such assistance. I was surprised though at how strong my legs were once I used the rings--without them, I could only lower myself and then fall on the floor!

That's a good idea to take an active layoff if you're feeling burnt out. I was worried I'd lose a lot of strength and especially muscle mass, but my mass seems to be holding steady even though I lost some muscular conditioning from not doing as many pushups lately.

Good luck in your training as well!!

Share |

01-27-2011, 03:53 PM

So far so good with my new program. Basically I'm doing a pyramid 4 days a week in the evenings, and a modified GUTS in the AM if I'm up for it. All exercises in the pyramids are done at a 2/1/2 tempo (e.g. with pushups 2 seconds down, 1 second hold, 2 seconds up). This tempo is great for avoiding pain, doing the exercises with perfect form, and developing a high mind-muscle connection.

My program currently looks like this:

Monday - Pushups Day
Knee pushup pyramid (30-80-30% of one set max, determined on Sundays)--once I hit about 40 knee pushups with full ROM at a 2/1/2 tempo, I'll switch to standard floor pushups again.

Tricep DSRs (my triceps seem to be lagging behind my shoulders and pecs)--normal, hammer, reverse hand & wrist positions, 10 reps each.

Shoulder chapter from PYTP for imbalance & injury prevention.

Tuesday - Abs Day
90 degree lying leg raises pyramid (30-80-30% 1 set max, determined on Sundays)--once I hit about 40 reps of these, I'll move to hanging leg raises (or maybe hanging knee raises if those are too hard). My goal is to do lots of perfect form, totally controlled hanging leg raises. This may take me a few years!

Plank on elbows held for time--my goal is 3:00 by the end of the year which I can reach by just adding 2-3 seconds per week. So far this hasn't been a problem. I make sure to tuck my tailbone so that I feel the brunt of the burn in my abdominal wall, not my low back.

On Tuesdays and Saturdays I also do some gentle yoga for the low back with my lady.

Wednesday - Squats Day
Flat foot squat pyramid (30-80-30% 1 set max, determined on Sundays). I've been enjoying these more than Tiger Bend Squats or Atlas Squats lately. I probably won't attempt to make these harder, but just aim for 300-500 continuous squats.

Playing around with assisted 1-leg squats and negatives using gymnastic rings for support. This has been really fun so far and feels fine on my joints, but I'm going to keep high awareness so I don't strain my knees. My goal is to be able to do an unassisted one-leg squat/pistol on each leg.

One set of max calf raises followed by calf stretches (if I don't stretch out afterwards I can get really painful charlie horses!).

Thursday - Row/Pullup Day
Bodyweight row on rings pyramid (30-80-30% 1 set max, determined on Sundays). My elbows were bothering me a bit again lately so I thought it would be best to do this easier exercise and avoid pullups until my tendons and joints catch up with my back strength, then return to pullups once I can do 40 or so of these. Also these rows seem like a more exact compliment to pushups, whereas pullups seem more complimentary to handstand pushups (or perhaps Atlas III pushups). Focusing on gripping the rings hard and pulling with my back, not my arms as much.

Bicep DSRs--reverse, hammer, regular hand & wrist positions for 10 reps each.

Misc back DVRs and ISO power flexes.

Friday - Bridge Day
Various bridging work---on neck for time, rolling on neck, on hands, etc. Going gently with this right now, mostly just working on range of motion not reps or time.

Saturday - HSPU prep
Working on getting up to a Handstand Pushup.

Handstands for time.

Wrist DSRs, 4 directions, 10 reps each (for wrist strength--this has stopped me in the past from practicing HSPUs and hand balancing).

Shoulderstand for time (would do headstand, but hurts my neck) to practice being upside down.

Neck DSRs, 4 directions, 10 reps each.

On Tuesdays and Saturdays I also do some gentle yoga for the low back with my lady.

Sunday - Rest/Test Day
Brief warmup, then one set of each of the 4 exercises to max reps with 2/1/2 tempo: pushup, leg raise, squat, row. Goal is to improve by at minimum 1 rep each week if possible.

When I do modified GUTS in the AM, it currently looks like this:

1/2 ROM (range of motion) knee pushups
Coffin situps (legs flat, reaching hands towards toes)
Tiger bend squats
Coffin situps
1/2 ROM knee pushups

When I do GUTS, I speed up the reps to a 1/1 tempo, but still totally under control and not using momentum (especially in the situps). Once I can do the full numbers (50 for pushups, 100 for situps), I'll switch to a harder version (full range knee pushups then Atlas I pushups then Atlas II then Atlas III then WPT on knees then WPT on floor then WPT with feet elevated, Atlas situps with hands interlaced behind head then Atlas Situps going uphill---outside!). I'm also considering adding some step-ups alternating with sets of TBS to get more cardio there. I'm almost up to 50 1/2 ROM knee pushups (35-40 most days), but not quite yet.

Also each morning I've been doing ujayii ("darth vader" sound) pranayama or deep breathing exercises lying in bed. I've been using my Gymboss interval timer to gradually expand my breath capacity from 10 seconds in, 10 seconds out for 30 rounds (10 minutes total) to my eventual goal of 30 seconds in, 30 seconds out for 30 rounds (30 minutes total). So far I've been attempting to increase at the rate of 1 second per week, first adding the second to the exhale and then the following week adding a second to the inhale. So far so good! I expect that once I hit around 15-20 seconds, I'll reach a plateau that will simply require patience to pass through. If I don't and can stay at this pace, I'll hit 30/30 by the end of the year!

Oh, and I'm also focusing on doing all exercises with nose-only breathing per a recommendation from the book Body, Mind, Sport.

So there you have it! Each week my goal is to slightly improve my numbers, even if just by one rep.

Last edited by duff; 01-28-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: clarity

Share |

Banned

01-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Hey Duff this is a great plan and looks like a lot of fun.I once worked up to a one legged squat the same way.F or your elbows I wrote a post called,'' DVR's in the TBS'' that helped me with tendinits in my right elbow.You do the arm motion of the TBS in the standing position.Palms down,bring hands to chest and turn palms up.You want to turn your pinkies up as far as you can.You can do this closing your hands into fist or open.I do both for 20 reps everyday.

Anyhow, good luck and keep us posted!

michael

Share |

01-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Michael--so far it is a fun plan, lots of variety which I like.

Thanks for the suggested DVR for the elbows--I just tried it, a nice move. I'd call these "DVR Rows" but I get what you're saying with the "DVRs in the TBS."

Take care,
~Duff

Share |

Tags
guts