Share |
Still working my way up to GUTS using density training

08-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Today I completed 17 one-minute rounds consisting of 6 pushups and 12 tiger-bend squats in superset fashion for a total of 98 pushups and 196 squats in 16:43. Talk about drenched in sweat! I had a huge fan pointed right at me and was still dripping.

I decided not to add the Atlas situps as part of the cycle today because I wanted the extra 20 seconds or so of rest each round, but I will do 100 or more of those later today, and work on adding them back into the nonstop circuit.

I just wanted to encourage others here on the forum that there is more than one way to work up to the full GUTS program if you're like me and still a long ways away from 50 continuous pushups.

I love the idea of breaking up the rep goals into 1-minute rounds (no more than about 30 though, as I just start to burn out after that), and slowly increasing the number of reps per round, like this:

100 reps total, 1:00 rounds - density training
  • 33 rounds of 3 reps (99 in 33:00)
  • 25 rounds of 4 reps (100 in 26:00)
  • 20 rounds of 5 reps (100 in 20:00)
  • 17 rounds of 6 reps (102 in 17:00)
  • 14 rounds of 7 reps (98 in 15:00)
  • 13 rounds of 8 reps (104 in 14:00)
  • 11 rounds of 9 reps (99 in 12:00)
  • 10 rounds of 10 reps (100 in 10:00)
...you get the idea...the point being to do the same volume of reps (well, close enough...) in less and less time, but very gradually as the body adapts. If you're feeling up to it, you can also add other sets of sub-maximal reps throughout the day to add more volume, or other DVR/DSR/ISOs for chest and arms to build strength for pushups for example.

I'm not doing this every day yet (I like rest days 2-3 times a week), but one could easily do so by doing a few rounds and seeing what you are able to do that day, then picking the number of rounds. For instance, maybe yesterday you did 17 rounds of 6 reps and are a bit sore today so you back off and do 25 rounds of 4 reps.

And of course, you don't have to do 100 total reps---it could be 50 or 25 or 250 or 1000, depending on your goals, the exercise(s) you have chosen, and your current level of conditioning.

Last edited by duff; 08-25-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Share |

Legacy Member

08-25-2010, 01:32 AM

Hey Duff,

that is an interesting approach. I am still in the process of finding a way to increase my numbers when doing GUTS. I will certainly give the above schedule a try. Thanks for posting

Jan

Share |

08-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Please let me know how it works for you, Jan!

I should clarify too that sometimes I do the above schedule just with pushups alone, other times I superset pushups and tiger bend squats (taking about 40 seconds of each 60 second round), and sometimes superset pushups, squats, and situps with no rest at all.

One nice thing about this approach is that your workouts keep getting shorter, even as they get more intense.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Duff:

Thank you. That's a very interesting variation. I might try your apporoach. I've been doing G.U.T.S. a little differently. I tested myself in pushups and then decided on a starting amount, in my case six reps. I do the pushups on the floor instead of the Atlas III's, and a variation of the Atlas II situps, and my squats are flat footed.

So I started with six reps of pushups, then six situps, six pushups, six squats, six pushups, six situps, six pushups, and I ended with the Milos. Each week I add one rep to everything except the Milos, which are tough emough as is. This is my fourth week, so now I'm doing 10 reps of each exercise. As I get to the maximums in each of the exercises I hope to increase the intensity by doing the actual exercises.

This also allows me to keep up with my running and aerobic cross training, although at some point GUTS could be my only routine on cross training days. I know this way it will take years to get to the full GUTS routine, but as I figure it, every day I'm probably getting fitter than 99% of the men my age.

Hope this other variation is also helpful to someone.

Share |

08-25-2010, 01:13 PM

I like your variation too, mcj6417. I was doing something like that for a while when I decided to switch it up and do it this other way. What's nice about your approach is that you are building volume gradually.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Duff:

Thank you. If I were to try it your way, how did you determine your starting point? Was your goal 100 reps and you broke it down by the number of rounds you wanted to do? Or were you trying to reach the max reps in GUTS? For example: if the total pushup goal was 200, your goal was to work up to 30 sets of 7 and then increase the reps and reduce the sets?

Share |

08-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Yes, my goal was 100 reps, which is also the number of total pushup reps in GUTS. I was doing about 100 pushups a day beforehand, spread out throughout the day, so I knew I could handle the volume.

I worked out a formula too which is to take 3 to 5 times your one set max (mine was 20 reps of pushups) as the total volume, then divide according to the schedule above. It's a rough formula, but the idea is to eventually multiply your one-rep max by 3-5 times.

Share |

08-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Tonight I completed 17 rounds of 90 seconds, no rest of 6 pushups, 12 full-range situps, 12 tiger bend squats in 25:22. Total = 102 pushups, 204 situps, and 204 squats.

I have no idea how anybody gets this done plus 100 more squats in 20 minutes! I was going as fast as posssible with no rest, only a second or two to switch from one exercise to the next. You guys are animals.

Last edited by duff; 08-27-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Corrected my math

Share |

Tags
guts, pushups