Share |
When GUTS is too much.

03-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Hello,

When the GUTS book was released it was a quality product. However when something like this drops through the letter box there is a temptation to drop everything and go straight into it.

However if the book is read in conjunction with the posts on here then one realises that the book is a template that we adapt to our lives,our energy levels and circumstances.This is not too diminish the book in any way but to simply say that we must use our intelligence.

I do GUTS 2-3 times a week but I do the following;

25 push ups
50 sit ups
25 push ups
150 squats
25 push ups
50 sit ups
25 push ups

I do not do Milo but at the end I do pull ups .I normally do 5x4x3x2x1

That is enough for me.On other days I run easily for 12-15 minutes.

This works for me at the age of 53.Never compare yourself to others .Do what works for you.

Last edited by Eddy1; 03-11-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Share |

03-11-2018, 03:06 PM

In my opinion it is not just in exercise, but in every part of our lives we have to customize our activities to maximize their effect on our lives. We are all individuals and no two of us have ever been totally alike since the beginning of time or will be in all of the future to come. Not only that, but we and the world that we live in and our individual situations are constantly changing.

"If you don't do your own thing, if you aren't authentic, then your life counts for nothing."

Last edited by Andy62; 03-11-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Share |

Author

03-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Hello Eddy1,

Thank You my friend.

It's interesting to me that YOU have intuitively discovered what Dr. Laurence Morehouse told me on several occassions. He told me the following:

#1) For Maximum Isotonic Strength the resistance needs to be so intense that just 1 to 5 reps are possible in a set but that it would be best to keep it at 1 to 3 reps for MAXIMUM strength. Unfortunately the closer you come to one ALL OUT rep the closer you are to severe injury if anything should go wrong. So what was Dr. Morehouse's solution? Isometric Contraction something that he even wrote into his Maximum Performance program.

#2) To increase Muscle Mass the resistance needs to be such that it feels extremely intense when you reach 15 to 20 reps and that once you are past 25 reps it is becoming less of a muscle enhancement exercise and much more of an endurance exercise. His tests revealed that 15 to 20 reps per set is the best combination of resistance and repetition for achieving maximum muscle building effect. The reps need to be in the 15 to 20 (25 max) range so that muscles are infused with highly oxygenated blood while experiencing enough contractile challenge to require adaptation.

#3) Endurance is predominately developed when reps are in the 40 to 50 or more reps per set category.

Bottom line: You have a truly excellent program that you have developed.

---John Peterson

Share |