Share |
John mcsweeney katas?

03-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Hello I have a question for John, how did john mcsweeney practice and train his students in his self defense style..did he do sparring or simply strikes through air, were katas a component..I know he really took kenpo and hacked away to what works and simplified it...

Share |

Legacy Member

03-12-2018, 06:06 AM

Hi Superbeast

Having a black belt in Kenpo I am always looking at ways to simplify things (Kenpo is full of a lot of useless techniques). John McSweeney did bring out a couple of self defence videos. You can find a snippet of one on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPgR5pnIn8

Not sure what he did with the Kata's but I am sure he did develop a set (Kenpo has forms (katas) and sets for each belt. I remember my Kenpo Instructor (he knew John McSweeney years ago) showing me a video where he was doing a set he invented, but all I remember is it was fairly comical - I don't remember if it was related to his self defence system.

Next time I chat to my insutructor I will mention it.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Author

03-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Hello SUPERBEAST,

In discussing katas with John McSweeney he told me two things. One, that he agreed with Bruce Lee and did not believe that katas had any real value in self defense training. And two...he did incorporate them into his school's curriculum only because his students wanted them.

McSweeney himself believed that refinement of his Power Strikes were of greatest value in personal self defense. He had NINE that he practiced daily along with his Tiger Moves.

McSweeney Nine Power Strikes. Stand in a Boxing guard and hands up as in boxing.

1. Chop (to larynx, side of neck, back of neck, and brain stem) fingers curved down, wrist bent back slightly up in the tiger’s claw position. Strike sideways.
2. Palm Heel (to forehead, eye socket, base of nose and jaw) can be same tiger’s claws and strike with palm heel, just palm heel of hand.
3. Leopard’s Palm (to bridge of nose, upper skull, and jawbone) tiger’s claw hand position; circular strike; looping down, this strike travels along a half-circle; hold your hand it travels up along the circle and down to strike. The uppercut works as good as this, but this can be used to stun and it will knock out someone. Practice strike your other open hand.
4. Eagles claw (to larynx) grasp throat hard between thumb and fingers
5. Fingers/thumb (poke & scratch eyeball; put out the eyeballs, grab testicles)
6. Side Fist vertical fist. strike to heart (little finger & palm edge remains down, hand vertical) or use Hammer Fist(heart, neck, face & jaw) strike using hand as if it is a hammer.
7. Upswing fist (to jawbone) hand low in front of body, palm down and upward arch striking with backs large knuckles; sort of a backwards upper cut. Again an uppercut works here.(Be careful with this one, you could injure the bones in the back of your hand if you execute it improperly.)
8. Elbow (to jawbone, upper skull and rib cage) rising, falling or side elbow
9. Knee (to pubic bones, bladder, and testicles) jump into attack, drive the knee in

In self defense, use a pre-emptive strike, hit hard to a vulnerable point; using your body’s natural weapons. Take Boxing strikes, the jab, cross, hook and uppercut and alter them; using bare knuckle Boxing and Kung fu. A Palm Heel for the jab and cross, the fleshy part of the bottom of the palm is far stronger than a closed fist with much less chance of injury.

The hook is changed into the Leopard’s Palm, again using the fleshy part at the bottom of the palm instead of a closed fist, a powerful looping punch that can also be delivered overhand, just as Marciano did in a half-circle.

The uppercut changed in to a Upswing, the fist is turned knuckles up wrist bent slightly and swung up, this is a variation of the flicking jab, except an upswing. Uppercut works just as good. Flicking jab also.

Using a boxers stance for all strikes! Use power, develop twisting power from the hips/waist for maximum stopping power, strike as you step into the attack, the step put’s your whole body weight into the attack, a step movement will still throw your body weight into the strike. .

McSweeney added to the arsenal another straight strike, what he called a side fist, the fist is held vertical, and does not turn; the edge of the fist remains pointed down and is used like a Right Cross but the fist is held with the edge of the hand downwards. You can also use a Hammer Fist; like a Judo chop made with the edge of the hand with a closed fist to strike with! Think of a hammer.

The chop is a circular strike like a Judo Chop, but the fingers bent slightly and McSweeney used this palm down, it can be used palm up!

The Eagles Claw and Finger/thumb strikes are last resort weapons. The Eagles claw where you grab your opponents Adam’s apple with your thumb and forefinger and PULL is a lethal strike to use only if your life is at stake; fingers/thumbs in the eyes to rip or grabbing and twisting of the testicles to rip (stealing the peach from the monkey).

The Elbow was delivered in a up or and down cut to develop power from body movement or deliver like a cutting straight strike a circular attack a cross or hook delivered with an elbow.

The Knee was also delivered stepping forward jumping forward knee into the penis, pubic bone, bladder or testicles.

Trust me friends, McSweeney refined self defense to the bare essentials and he was A MASTER!

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 03-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Share |

03-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Wow thanks for the replies..I do believe he was a master by all definitions..I have some new insight...Im going to print this out and add it to my binder..but I reckon practicing combos of the power strikes would be just as effective as a kata..I do like kenpos fluidity but like you say I do see alot of complicatedness..Im tryna keep it spartan..thank you all once again

Share |

Legacy Member

03-13-2018, 02:57 AM

I forgot to mention the power strikes. They are awesome. Since they are in Kenpo anyway I didn't have to learn them (as new techniques) and around 5-6 years ago I used to practice them every day without fail - I did this for around 3 months and they are amazing.

I think I am going to start daily practice of them again! Yes, now I think about it I am going to add them to my morning routine.

Thanks guys

- Kenpopaul

Share |

03-13-2018, 03:23 AM

Hey Kenopaul thats also what I was thinking, It seems they are multipurpose self defense, cardio, and power Im willing to bet Mcsweeneys hitting power was from these in high reps along with the tiger moves..they also would enhance flexibility as well due to its circular and twisting executions..Kenpo looks cool and effective none the less

Share |