Share |
Tension Toe Touch

06-02-2014, 01:47 PM

John (or Greg or whoever wants to chime in)...

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the "Tension Toe Touch", one of the lesser known "Tiger Moves"!

It took me a while because like all these exercises, you have to have the ability to command your muscles to wake up and come to attention...I think I finally did that today.

Unlike the other Tiger Moves, I'm amazed at how I've been able to get my heart rate going under high tension in this move.

Could someone please tell me the overall benefits of the Tension Toe Touch? E.g. will it help flatten my stomach? Will it improve my flexibility?

Your comments and experiences are much appreciated.

ChuckH

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Chuck,

This is one I'd been doing for many years to enhance my back and hamstring flexibility. I tighten my abdomen by exhaling on the way down as if pushing down a spring and exhaling on the way up as if pulling up a weight. Sometimes I use the same breath - sometimes I relax and inhale at the bottom before raising up. Make sure you try to flex your spinal erectors at the top.

John had told me awhile back that McSweeny sometimes included a toe touch and a crucifix curl and press in his Tiger Moves. Hence that is why I refer to this as one of the "Lost Tiger Moves."

Greg

Share |

06-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Greg I have been inhaling at the top and the bottom to allow me to exhale during both the downward and upward movement.

It's easy to underestimate this movement because it was a classic calisthenic that - as it was practiced with speed, thoughtlessness, and bouncing - seemed to have little value.

But today I could really feel my back muscles coming to attention!

ChuckH

Share |

Author

06-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Hello ChuckH,

I have had many, many great conversations over the years with Greg and one thing I can tell you is that every exercise Charles Atlas ever taught was to be done exactly as you have written in this statement:

Quote:
It's easy to underestimate this movement because it was a classic calisthenic that - as it was practiced with speed, thoughtlessness, and bouncing - seemed to have little value.

But today I could really feel my back muscles coming to attention!

ChuckH, that is a great observation and my point is that every exercise Charles Atlas taught was to be done with precision and a certain amount of tension maintained in the muscles at all times. Hence the term, "Dynamic Tension". It is this tension that is both protective and corrective as regards injuries.

---John Peterson

Share |

06-02-2014, 06:44 PM

John,

Thanks... I'm glad I'm catching on to something!

What are your thoughts on the "Tension Toe Touch"?

DIdn't I see where you said that McSweeney used it to alleviate his sciatica?

ChuckH

Share |

Tags
fmt, tension toe touch, tiger moves