Share |
Question about THE MILO

05-28-2015, 08:15 PM

Been doing the GUTS routine for some time and really getting great results. I have a question about the Milo that I put out there for anyone to answer: John P, Greg or whoever wants to.

Is the "pivot point" in the movement in the ELBOWS -- as in a bicep curling movement -- or is it the SHOULDERS?

One of the reasons I'm confused in the descriptions I've read is that it mentions "going up to the forehead", which seems to me to be more of a shoulder pivot. When I do them from the elbows as in a curl, my fists just reach my collar bone as they make that "arc."

I hope this makes sense. Any help on this would be appreciated. I pretty much "get" everything else in the descriptions in the movement, tension, and have been doing DVRs and DSRs for years. But I've always been tentative on the Milo, because I've been unsure of whether or not I'm doing it right.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dominick

Share |

05-29-2015, 07:19 AM

I have often wondered the same thing! Personally, I pivot at the shoulders. However, I remember reading a post by Greg that at least some times he pivots at the elbow. I believe it can be done either way and we should try both.

Share |

Author

05-29-2015, 08:01 AM

Hello Men,

Dominick, that is a great question.

The way I do the Milo is to keep my elbows tight to my sides until my fists reach the upper sternum level and then there is a slight 'pivot' in the shoulders as I continue to raise my fists to forehead level.

The Milo Is an amazing exercise that can develop just about every muscle in the upper body.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-29-2015, 12:44 PM

You've already heard from THE expert on this.

But, I thought I'd chime in by saying I've always performed the MILO in the same manner as John, pivoting at both the elbows and the shoulders. I'm just not certain as to when I pivot at the shoulders.

Maybe paying more attention to that little detail would be beneficial?

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

05-29-2015, 03:50 PM

I use a shorter stroke and pivot at the elbow. I guess that is why John looks like a Greek god and I look more like Galen Gough.

Tim

Share |

05-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Thanks to all for you prompt and very helpful replies. Absolutely answered the question and gave me the clarity that I was seeking on this particular exercise.

I see better, now based on John's description here how the "two phases" -- the elbow then subtle transition to shoulder pivots -- work all the muscle groups of the upper body that he also speaks of in the GUTS book.

Again thanks.

Dominick

Share |

Tags
milo