Share |
Not running long but running fast ( well hopefully!)

06-16-2015, 04:04 PM

Hello,

I hope you are all well. Now that my hamstring is allowing me to run quickly again I have decided to run in some Masters events( in the UK we call them veterans events, I like the sound of masters better!).

My question centres around combining the conditioning circuits with track workouts. I believe that about 2 track workouts a week will allow for optimal recovery along with maintaining my overall strength. My simple idea was to reduce or cut out the squats prior to and possibly after my track session.

Last week I focused on fast strides over 150m x 6 . My goal is to run a 56.0 400m in my early fifties. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I feel very strong when running just lacking in some fluid speed or sharpness.

Share |

06-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Hey Eddy1,
Running in the 50s in your 50s is phenomenal. We have a guy here in Gilbert AZ that is going for the 55 year old world record in the 400. He has run 52.? at age 54. His name is Mike Sullivan. He is a retired teacher and is always at the track.
He does various sprint work and even runs some 20 min easy runs. The 400 is 80% anaerobic and 20% aerobic so easy running helps your aerobic output.

Here is a pretty good PDF from Clyde Hart, he coaches Jeremy Warner and some other 43 sec 400 stars.

http://www.usatf.org/groups/coaches/...lyde_Hart3.pdf

Please let me know how it goes and have fun.

Monty

Share |