Share |
Forum business: Why we do what we do and how to undo what we did to you

02-04-2010, 05:29 AM

I don't understand why on the internet people come to a site and think the thing to do is act out in ways they never would if they never would if their real name was known.

I run forum for a small niche and require first and last names for user names. It seems to keep the crud down. Technically people could make up a name and I'd never know, but this niche is very small and most of the forum members know each other from the sport they participate.

This is a great community and I hope it stays that way. I haven't seen anything bad posted in the short time I've been here, so whatever you are doing must be working.

THanks for the great site.

Cecil

Share |

02-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Great Forum, Great People, Great Positive Environment and a Great Thread....God Bless you all!
Ditto.

I really appreciate this forum. When I joined last year, the infiltrators were a real nuisance. Joe, you have really cleaned things up. Good job! It is kind of like being able to go outside without getting stung by mosquitos, or maybe attacked by lions. You can just enjoy it.

I use an alias only because when I first joined I had no idea what kind of people were in this group and I was afraid to use my real name. I've been very pleasantly surprised. I'll continue with the alias because that is how you all know me by now.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Legacy Member

02-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilS View Post
I don't understand why on the internet people come to a site and think the thing to do is act out in ways they never would if they never would if their real name was known.
Honest to God, I believe that within 10 years the psychological community will recognize a subset of dissociative identity disorder directly linked to internet aliases. I don't know what they'll call it, but the jest if it will be that some people people alternate and completely compartmentalized personalities that they use on-line. These people act so differently on-line vs. in person because they genuinely are different people on-line than in person.

Greg Newton and I were talking about this once and he mentioned that he got an off the wall e-mail from a guy who was banned here once. Later the guy e-mailed and apologized because he has sent the e-mail under his real name and the apology was basically saying, "I don't usually act this way under my real name." At least on some level the guy knew he was being two different people.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

02-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post
It is kind of like being able to go outside without getting stung by mosquitos, or maybe attacked by lions.

I use an alias only because when I first joined I had no idea what kind of people were in this group and I was afraid to use my real name. I've been very pleasantly surprised. I'll continue with the alias because that is how you all know me by now.
No... trust me, it's more like the mosquitoes not lions! HA!

Gordon once used the phrase "nuisance effect" to describe these kinds of borderline personalities, which I love. It's like they're the lamest super villain on Earth. I just picture them sitting in front of their computer with their purple tights and cowl screaming, "BEHOLD! Now you will face the wrath of my nuisance effect!!!"

-Joe

Share |

02-04-2010, 11:24 AM

I have seen these same guys on various forums for years. I have had professional training in profiling and I have gotten into their heads and believe me there is nothing there. They are a very, very, extreme examples of people where nothing has worked out for them in their lives and they are angry with anyone who is functional and successful. The success of John Peterson and Bronze Bow drives them out of their heads - it consumes them. Their attitudes and their negative thinking is what has destroyed them and as a result caused them to be socially isolated. The particular men that we are talking about here are women haters because they doubt their own masculinity which gives women an inordinate amount of control over them. Observe the sexy pinup pictures all over their site.They have never met anyone on this forum in person, have had no negative business dealings with anyone on this forum, and nobody on this forum has gone after any of their wives which are the usual things that are required to cause such an excessive amount of anger over so long of period of time. They are in a word the "constant victim" personality type that will work themselves into a victim role in every part to their lives.They try to be a nuisance, and they will continue to try to be one, because negative as it is; it is the only small amount of recognition that they are capable of achieving in their lives. Ultimately they are harmless and pathetic so just ignore them as everyone else does. What kind of man in their fifites and sixties spends years fighting something that they have no control over and in the process makes the object of their hate even stronger? Have fun with them -they exist for your entertainment and they have done it to themselves. They are the weakest of men and they are the ones giving us the control over them -we have not sought it.

Last edited by Andy62; 02-04-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Share |

Tags
forum