Share |
Can DVR Replace Power Calisthenics?

Author

04-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have been asked many times if Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control (DVR) Exercises can replace both body weight calisthenics such as Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, & Squats and even weight training exercises.

Answer: I had asked this question of John McSweeney 28 years ago. To answer my question he told me about a martial arts student he had that had been very over weight and totally lacking in physical strength and development when he came to McSweeney. The young man in question was so weak that he could not do a single push-up or pull-up and had been ridiculed since early childhood for being a weak, fat boy (though he was called far worse). John told me that he "took this kid under my wing" and taught this young man the McSweeney 'Tiger Moves System' of 7 Iso-Dynamic (DVR) Exercises. McSweeney told me that week by week you could see this young man's body changing shape and adding strength while his demeanor and self confidence were transformed and within 3 months this young man could do any body weight calisthenic with no problem and proudly proved it to John McSweeney. When this young man asked John what other exercises he should do to further enhance his strength and development McSweeney told him "You don't NEED any other exercises unless you want them. To further increase strength and development you continue to refine the movements practicing them daily and as you continue you'll be amazed at how your strength and development changes."

So what is my point? Just this. The more expert you become at contracting and relaxing any given muscle or group of muscles at will the more functional strength you will create and be able to apply to any exercise or sport you undertake. Furthermore, the only addition you need to make if you want to achieve super human strength is to add Isometrics that are the most intense form of strength training that you can possibly perform. Intense Isometric Contraction is the most extreme form of Iso-Dynamic Training. But do realize that ISO-DYNAMIC Exercise is the graduate level of strength and development exercise once it is mastered.

---John Peterson

P.S. Read the Sandow and Yoga thread that Gordon posted.

Share |

04-20-2018, 10:08 AM

I totally agree with that and it has been my experience for the last 10 years where I have practiced only Iso Dynamic Contraction type exercises. I think the following statement really sums it up:

They are really a form of meditation and apply the yogic principle of ”Inner Concentration.” In a sense they are “Positive Thinking” on steroids as they rush the new visual and verbal commands along the neural highway, past the emotional brakes that have been programmed into us to the center of the mind which is the command center for all of our personal forces [conscious and subconscious]

Some of the best reasons to practice Iso Dynamic Contraction type exercises come from Swami Rama
Swami Rama, the principle subject of the research on yogis at the Menninger Foundation, said of these yogic type exercises that they have, “Benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercises one vitalizes muscles,respiration, senses, nervous system and mind..............

Most importantly, in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind and consciousness.” Swami Rama, “Exercise Without Movement”

Share |

Author

04-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Hey Gordon,

Another way to view Iso-Dynamic Exercises is to consider the following.

If an exercise system can be used therapeutically to both strengthen and rehabilitate an injured body part while at the same time restoring and even enhancing full range of motion (which is exactly what can and does happen with Iso-Dynamic Exercise) then doesn't it make sense that such as system of exercise would also be the best and most efficient form of exercise to develop and create functional strength to begin with. That's a statement and not a question.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-20-2018, 11:18 PM

John, Absolutely true. Gordon

Share |

04-21-2018, 03:11 AM

I have a ultimate personal results question do you believe that maxium strength and development can be reached..if one were to use moderate to great tension that puts you in 20-30 reps till muscles ache...versus heavy to max tension that would allow 4-10 reps under great strain...thusly lets say that the end result is muscle fatigue and exhaustion..I personally like doing dvrs for time using good strong tension but reps are at least 20 plus...going in a rthymic fashion as one would using a rower or similiar..I like to go till a pump or throughly worked feeling where all fibers have been stimulated and activated through repittion and contnued contraction...I personally dont have the will power for max contraction it feels like straining...so do you think one misses out on never goin to the max?

Share |

04-21-2018, 07:43 AM

There is also the issue of gravity. DVRs do not utilize gravity which makes them easier on the joints, HOWEVER, they also do not use the small stabilizer muscles in the core which help maintain posture. I think there is a need for calisthenics, especially push-ups to help maintain good posture and alignment.

Share |

Author

04-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Hello SUPERBEAST,

You have found the perfect formula for YOU. It could easily be far too intense for others but for you and what You and what you want to accomplish.

Personally, I think the high reps for the muscle pump followed by 5-6-7 Power Belt Isometrics would create the ultimate program incorporating strength and shape.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

04-21-2018, 09:33 AM

This is In response to Lion King,

Try the following Iso-Dynamic exercise.

Stand feet shoulder width apart. arms extended straight above head (in a reverse clasp) upper arms touching ears. Turn left and start movement by bending left at waistline and touching the floor while moving in a circular motion from left to right (the arms are kept in exactly the same position and DO NOT MOVE) movement is strictly a core movement and you must continue making as large a circular movement as possible bending backward as far as comfortable. Complete 12 reps left and 12 reps right. If that is easy for you (and it won't be) then try it while wearing a weight vest.

This is a muscle tension exercise and is EXTRAORDINARY. Almost beyond belief.

Also note that every calisthenic can be dramatically enhanced by turning it into a DVR exercise as I teach them in Living Strength. By doing so every exercise becomes an Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control exercise.

And just for your information: The average person would not be capable of performing the exercise above at first BUT they would gradually improve to that point that they could if they were diligent.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-21-2018, 04:20 PM

I agree John..but as far as core activation its almost autonomis with any dvr..for me at least it seems my core is using its stabilizers no matter the movement..actually it always feel theres a full body activation goin on to brace and counteract the volitional excercises..a bracing effect if you will

Share |

Author

04-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Hello SuperBeast,

I was talking with another friend about this that had read your post and he was awed by what you had stated:

"Personally I like doing dvrs for time using good strong tension but reps are at least 20 plus...going in a rthymic fashion as one would using a rower or similar..I like to go till a pump or thoroughly worked feeling where all fibers have been stimulated and activated through repetition and continued contraction...I personally don't have the will power for max contraction it feels like straining...so do you think one misses out on never go'in to the max?"

The reason he was awed is because he has had personal experience of following guidelines virtually identical to what you have written and his results.

---John Peterson

Share |