Share |
Vintage Atlas Course Question

10-05-2014, 12:42 AM

I can't find the site I was on several months ago, but I remember reading that in the older CA Course there was a mention of using a broomstick and two chairs to do pullups. Is that true? Why was it removed? Does anyone know what Lesson that was in? Thanks for any help!

Share |

Legacy Member

10-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Hi marine0861,

In the course of it's decades of run, there have been slight changes to the Atlas course. Although a good exercise, pullups between two chairs has never been a part of the Atlas course. It was part of George Jowett's course and Joe Weider's Mr. America course.

Greg

Share |

Author

10-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Hello Marine0861,

Greg is 100% correct in what he is stating.

My grandfather had a copy of the original Charles Atlas Course that was first released in 1922, before it was renamed "Dynamic Tension" in 1929. In terms of the exercises that were taught, the 1922 course was virtually identical to the course that appeared for the next 50 years during Mr. atlas's lifetime. That said, there were no pull-ups/chin-ups taught. Not any variation of "chinning".

---John Peterson

Share |

10-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Hmmm found it on the CA forum just now that it was part of the course, and the Admin of that forum said it was removed for safety reasons.

Either way, I'm going to try and find it, I'm on a mission now. Not to discredit, mind you, but to see it with my own two eyes!

Share |

Author

10-05-2014, 02:00 PM

marine0861,

I have had copies of the Atlas course from every decade from the 20's through the 70's and it was never there. Not ever. The administrator is wrong. It was not the Atlas course that featured it. Jack La Lanne's did, Weider's did and so did Jowett but not Atlas.

---John Peterson

PS: If it was ever there then someone must have a picture of Atlas doing it.

Share |

Tags
charles atlas, pullups