Share |
The Two Questions Only You Can Answer!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Author

10-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

Question # 1) How big do you want to be? Question #2) How strong do you need to be?

It seems that many people that come from a weight training background have a hard time wrapping their head around the high volume numbers that are often associated with body weight exercises and I can certainly understand the reason for that. After all, Instead of sets of 6 to 8 reps we're often talking sets of 50 or more, or even 100 or more as relates to maximized body weight training for physique.

For example, my friend Jack King that had been a former Olympic Style Weight Lifting Champion that once totaled 900 in the 3 Olympic lifts as a 198 pound Olympic style lifter that later turned to body weight training after he was too injured to train with weights because weights had ruined his shoulders.

In 1997 Jack won the Masters Mr. America after 5 years of intensive training with feet Elevated Push-Ups being the cornerstone of his upper body training program. Jack's Push-Ups were performed freehand with no weight vest and with his feet elevated 19 inches and hands on the floor. For that specific exercise Jack was performing 10 sets or more of 100 reps or more each and was usually completing between 1200 and 1500 reps per workout which he did on Wednesdays and Saturdays. He once completed 2,000 reps in a workout. When Jack won the Master's Mr America title he told me he weighed 160 pounds which was 38 pounds less than he had been as an Olympic style weight lifter. Jack even told me, "It doesn't matter whether you are using weights or not, either way you will be working just as hard."

I think Jack's statement was spot on. Though Jack himself admitted that he never injured himself with body weight training, he admitted that he had severely injured himself when using weights that allowed him only 6 to 8 reps per set. In fact, within a year of going back to the heavy weights Jack's shoulders were so injured that he couldn't even go back to his Push-Up Program. So why did he ever go back to the weights? I asked him that and the answer was that he had maxed out development with push-ups so that if he was going to add any size he needed o go back to the weights. I asked him and Jack told me that he never tried weight vest training but instead went back to heavy weights. I often wonder what his results would have been with weight vest training but there is no way to know.

Believe me, I am well aware that there are those that cite studies stating that the ideal number of reps is 6 to 8 per set for muscle building and advocate performing exercises for the same body part just twice weekly. So what is the point? It depends on how big you want to be and how strong you want to be as measured by lifting weights.

Obviously : Both High reps with Low Resistance and Low reps with High resistance can produce comparable results up to a point in terms of developing a fine physique and stimulating testosterone and HGH production.

Still, it comes down how big do you want to be? Jack King told me that even though you can develop every bit as good a shape with body weight training as you can with the weights that you can only go so far as your muscle size is concerned with natural body weight exercises. To go beyond that you you're going to have to force growth and for that you need weights, steroids and growth hormone.

---John Peterson

Share |