Share |
A little editting please!

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Hey Greg... I don't mean to pile on along with Tom, but the double space after the period thing is antiquated. I still us it both on here and in documents, but anywhere on the web it doesn't even show up. Take a look at your posts, and you'll see that there is actually only one space, whenever you submit a post, the HTML engine will take out the extra space after the period. As a matter of fact, you can put in 50 spaces and it'll take them all out.

The reason it's not longer applicable is because computer fonts aren't all a uniformed size. When you had a typewriter all the letters were the same size because of the mechanics involved, so the double space made it more readable. However, with computer fonts a "t" and an "m" are different sizes, so the extra space isn't necessary to improve readability.

I still do the double space thing and probably always will until the day I die. My fingers can't unlearn once they've already been programmed. Here's a little article I found on it: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...-sentence.aspx

This is a great thread, I believe I'll move it to the Important Articles forum once everyone's put the feedback in.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Hi Greg and Joe,

I want to thank you both personally for what you have done on this forum. You two are to be commended highly and I thank you both. Now the amazing thing about John,which Greg and I talked about this weekend is that he attracts good people. Yeah there have been trolls here and there(which thank goodness Joe and Greg take care of) but generally speaking people are great folks. The kind of folks you would like to kick back and watch a football game with or for our European friends a soccer match.

There are great things ahead for the Bronzebow family, and I am thankful daily that you have created this wonderful site John, the Classics you write,and the time you spend with everyone.

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid_Amerzon View Post
Some might not know, but you can enlarge the Text in your browser. You can hold the "Ctrl" key and scroll up or down with your mouse. Alternatively you can use the menus:
in Internet Explorer: View > Text Size
in Firefox: View > Zoom
I use this feature very often. (This additionally shortens the lenght of a text line as well.)

BTW: I always try to write my text error free. If I don't I might someday not even know anymore which is right or wrong. For that matter I also don't like to read slang or simplified words like "blu" instead of "blue"...
Oh and another thing. In my country english is a foreign language. Punctuation rules (for english) weren't taught on the lower school levels and on the higher ones - well I only rememeber that there are less comma than in German...
Hi Spid and hello brothers and sisters,

My wife, who is a retired English, French, and Spanish literature teacher, tells me that the best way to become a good writer is to read a lot of very good writing. I have to agree with that.

Another thing that has helped me to improve my writing is to read my stuff aloud.

I don't just rattle through it. Instead, I try to read it slowly with expression, the way an good actor or a good preacher might read it.

When I find myself stumbling on bits and pieces, that's a clue that I've probably written a clumsy sentence that needs a bit of recasting.

As far as middle-aged and senior eyes go, here's an idea:

In the forum software editor, notice that you can change the size of text to be a bit larger. Just highlight the text you wish to enlarge and use the little drop-down size item in the forum software message editor.

I tend to write my posts in an off-line editor, and so I enter coding manually.

I increase the size of my own words slightly in messages I post but not things I quote. By only increasing the size of just my words and not material I quote, the entire post actually becomes easier to read. It makes it easier to distinguish between my message and the quote.

You can use BB code to do this. I do it manually in an off-line text editor. You can just highlight the text you want to increase and then use the handy little dropdown in the software forum editor

To do this manually, at the beginning of my text, I put this: [size="3"]. The 3 must be in quotation marks.

At the end of the text I put this: [/size].

Other numbers give other results. The number 3 makes things more legible without being so large as to seem too obtrusive or distracting. This entire message is set with the [size="3"][/size] tags.

If I use the number 5 like this:
[size="5"]This is a sample of size "5" text[/size]:

It ends up looking like this:
This is a sample of size "5" text

That's too large for posts.

And if I put down something like this:
[size="1"]This is a sample of size 1 text.[/size]

It looks like this:
This is a sample of size 1 text.

So the size 3 seems to look about right to me.

You can see a whole set of instructions on using BB Code by clicking here, but only if you are logged into the forum.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

Alan OldStudent's Musings

Last edited by John Peterson; 12-14-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Share |

12-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I only rememeber that there are less comma than in German...
Spanish did no harm to my spelling or writing. For some reason German did. I misspelled words I never missed before. I didn't think about the comma thing as coming from German but maybe it did - I'm often not sure of the rules and suspect I use them too much. As for spelling, it ain't what it used to be.

So, Greg, you got some ideas from Hardgainer. That brings back good memories. It was/is? a class act magazine and site. I gave away my huge collection a while ago. I had some correspondence with Stuart McRobert. He is a very classy, kind gentleman. He went out of his way to send a pile of stamps to me for my stamp-collecting little daughters. I didn't know the site still existed. Thanks for the memories.

While we're on spell-checking, sometimes the automatic spell checker in this message box doesn't agree with my American Oxford Dictionary 2.11. Oh well, Oxford isn't in America anyway. Whadaya esspect.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Creikson,

FOUR MORE DAYS for us and I CAN'T WAIT!

Share |

12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Greg

I recently perused your writings at the Round Table.

"Round Table", I - I just can't help it...

Quote:
Minstrel: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away...
Sir Robin: *No!*
Minstrel: [singing] bravely ran away away...
Sir Robin: *I didn't!*
Minstrel: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
Sir Robin: *I never did!*
Minstrel: [singing] Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out.
Sir Robin: *Oh, you liars!*
Minstrel: [singing] Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Robin.
Sir Robin: err - I mean Greg:

Keep going, I know of more than one member I think is spinning his wheels doing the weights that would do far better with this stuff!

Last edited by Scott Silva; 12-14-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Sir Robin

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi Whacky,

I've been tied up with work this past couple of weeks. I'll be back over there after this week. I wanted to take time to make some well thought out answers to some of the questions I was asked. Writing there, is different from writing here. I want to be careful not to offend. It is a different sandbox I'm visiting. I had some ideas from an old John Grimek article I wanted to share. Stay tuned.

Greg

Also, I got to thinking about this. Since you were over there, why didn't you go ahead and give your input? A lot of those guys could be helped by utilizing some of the things promoted here.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 12-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Share |

12-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Writing there, is different from writing here. I want to be careful not to offend. It is a different sandbox I'm visiting.
Yes, you are right of course...

No, seriously though, it was fun to see you over there. Like something I said before, I really think of these methods to be the next logical step to the tenets put out by the Hardgainer magazine & Stuart McRobert.

Quote:
I had some ideas from an old John Grimek article I wanted to share.
That is cool

Grimek is always interesting because of his gymnastic background.

I think I remember an article which mentioned that when he was younger he did calisthenics a lot in the winter months because it was so cold where he regularly weight trained??? I couldn't find this information online, on paper I wouldn't know where to start, Iv'e read so much junk...

I definitely remember reading about how when he was working for an iron company his diet mainly consisted of cans of baked beans (totally irrelevant, I know).

Of course though, he is also an excellent example of "longevity" in the sport, doing heavy squats well into his 70's. He had very good genetics, his bone structure was huge!

Quote:
Also, I got to thinking about this. Since you were over there, why didn't you go ahead and give your input? A lot of those guys could be helped by utilizing some of the things promoted here.
I have! But your the writer, who is going to bother to listen to some dude named Wackybaby???

Last edited by Scott Silva; 12-15-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ECD (Editing Compulsive Disorder)

Share |

Legacy Member

12-15-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
...who is going to bother to listen to some dude named Wackybaby???
Well,

Me for one, my catheaded friend!

Share |

12-15-2009, 01:41 PM

It's a good idea to do the best you can and extend some leeway to all of us who make mistakes in spite of ourselves. Editing is good and a good reminder. Besides, how do we know what is an accident or a self-effacing bit of humor, such as misspelling editting in an editing thread? I put my bet on humor. If nothing else, it feels better. One way or another, I'm not going to mention it.

Tom

Last edited by tom; 12-15-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: editing

Share |

Tags
forum, information