Share |
A little editting please!

Legacy Member

12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Hey this thread really has me cracked up. I've gotten some really weird e-mails from people that are reading a little bit too much into what our good friend Mr. Newton is saying here. Someone sent me a link where someone has actually taken the time to search though the forum to find a bunch of typos Greg made and say, "See!!! He's not perfect, he makes mistakes too!!"

I dunno why some people take things the way they do, so I'll just chalk it up to the vagaries of communication in the internet age. Seems we can get in touch with people in so many ways now but sometimes seem to actually communicate less.

I digress...

All Greg was saying with this thread is that you will get more people to read your posts if you're a little bit more clear with your writing. He's seen a few posts that were difficult to read and edited them to clean them up, just some periods here and spaces there. Greg's just trying to help out, not flaunt his superior grammatical skills or something like that.

The way people read into things that aren't really there... sheesh...

-Joe

Share |

12-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Probably the best little book an aspiring young writer will ever buy.

The Elements of Style Strunk and White.

Share |

12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Communication will always remain the great human problem !

Share |

Legacy Member

12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
All Greg was saying with this thread is that you will get more people to read your posts if you're a little bit more clear with your writing. He's seen a few posts that were difficult to read and edited them to clean them up, just some periods here and spaces there. Greg's just trying to help out, not flaunt his superior grammatical skills or something like that.
Joe,

You and I know where this foolishness is coming from. It is from a few people who got banned off this forum who have too much time on their hands. I am NOT full scale editting posts for grammar. If anyone reads that into what I wrote, they need to go back to school and learn how to read. They missed something in reading comprehension.

This was a request for some of you to check your longer posts. A couple of you, who have thanked me, had very good posts, but needed some work with punctuation and spacing. No big deal. It made excellent posts more readable.

Too, every once in awhile I see a title of a thread that has a mispelled word. I do it sometimes. When I see it I change it. Once again, no big deal other than making the forum look more professional. I know enough to know when someone is misspelling a word on purpose for effect.

A little group of miserable miscreants have done their best to crash John's forum, attempt to discredit him in anyway possible, and ruin his business. The prediction I heard last year was that people were leaving his forum in droves and he would soon be out of business, thanks to them. That is why they latch onto things like this and grossly misinterpret what is going on.

I feel sorry for those guys. They are spitting in the ocean in the hopes of keeping the tide from rolling in.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
They missed something in reading comprehension.
Or they're fruit loops.

You give them way too much credit by suggesting they're just misinterpreting things. You and I get these nutty e-mails from these guys and even though we rarely respond to them they continue to obsessively e-mail us. Apparently one of them scoured this site to find typo's you've made because they believe your point in this post was to tell everyone you're some kind of super genius who never makes mistake. Generation of these kinds of constructs and obsessive behavior is not that of someone who misinterprets, its the behavior of a neurotic stalker.

Good thing people like this never get outside, I'm sure their mommy's basement is nice and comfy.

-Joe

Share |

12-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Pow, that is one of my favorite all-time books. It should be required of all and often is. As a matter of fact, I think it has been further revised since I read it thirty years ago, pre- computers.

Besides Charlotte's web, E B White, the White of Strunk and White, wrote some fantastic short stories. I put him up there along with my over-all all-time favorite genius writer for reals bar none, Mark Twain.

Tom

Share |

Tags
forum, information