Reply
Share |
Thread Tools Display Modes
Squating favoring side back and forth
 
 
tom tom is offline
Senior Member
tom's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,011
02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
 
That's a confusing title.

I'm a big believer and practice-er of jumping squats. Squat down and jump as high as you can. Don't pace yourself. If you can do more than ten or twenty you are pacing yourself. Stop it. Jump higher and harder.

But sometimes I don't want to go up in the air. So I use a slightly wider stance and go more or less down on one leg, back up, and down on the other, back and forth. It is not a one-legged squat. I'll take a wild guess and say that instead of each leg doing 50% of the work as in a regular squat, one is doing 70% and the other 30%. I made up those numbers.

I like being able to up the weight used on a leg. It's also more dance-like. You have two-feet stability.

I don't remember anybody ever mentioning such a variation. Anybody been doing it? Wanna try?

Tom
 
 
Share |
 
 
Kyle Kyle is offline
Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
 
Sounds like a really good exercise and will try it out. I have been doing one-legged jumps as part of my joint-mobility routine but not in the way you describe. I like the idea of going from one leg to the other. And i agree about the imbalance. In my own case, i discovered it a while back when i tried to do one-legged squats and (eventually) was able to do them with my right leg but not with the left.
 
 
Share |
 
 
April April is offline
Senior Member
April's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 861
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
That's a confusing title.

I'm a big believer and practice-er of jumping squats. Squat down and jump as high as you can. Don't pace yourself. If you can do more than ten or twenty you are pacing yourself. Stop it. Jump higher and harder.

But sometimes I don't want to go up in the air. So I use a slightly wider stance and go more or less down on one leg, back up, and down on the other, back and forth. It is not a one-legged squat. I'll take a wild guess and say that instead of each leg doing 50% of the work as in a regular squat, one is doing 70% and the other 30%. I made up those numbers.

I like being able to up the weight used on a leg. It's also more dance-like. You have two-feet stability.

I don't remember anybody ever mentioning such a variation. Anybody been doing it? Wanna try?

Tom
Yes, I do want to try. And I did today. What do you do with your hands though? They get in the way if you are switching sides and trying to manage your arms in Hindu Squat fashion! What do you recommend?
__________________
Wishing you well,
April

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis
 
 
Share |
 
 
April April is offline
Senior Member
April's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 861
02-09-2010, 05:50 AM
 
I've been trying the squats variations.

After 50 Hindu squats, the last half of them on toes (just remembered) and a bunch of Tom's alternate leg squats (lost count), I tried BennyB's Indian Squats. I could do about 30. Those are hard, but GOOD. Later in the day, I tried the jumping squats. Wow. Great. But...not good to do right after lunch. As I get "into" the G.U.T.S. mentality, the squat variations will make it more interesting.

Does anyone do Atlas full range leg raises in their G.U.T.S. routine? I have been incorporating them.
__________________
Wishing you well,
April

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis
 
 
Share |
 
 
April April is offline
Senior Member
April's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 861
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
 
ddc, your comment reminded me that when I did those jumping squats, it felt like riding a horse! Seriously!

Maybe those are the Tom Gallop.

A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

What is the Tom Canter?

Really, Tom, we are NOT ganging up on you.
__________________
Wishing you well,
April

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Last edited by April; 02-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
 
 
Share |
 
 
tom tom is offline
Senior Member
tom's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,011
02-10-2010, 08:55 AM
 
To answer the both questions/observations, I would say the arm movements do look more like a gallop on an old Western. I just put them out there for counterbalance, not following any protocol. And no music yet.

Tom
 
 
Share |
 
Reply

Tags
one leg, one limb, squat, squats

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Bronze Bow Publishing Copyright © 2008 Bronze Bow Publishing. All Rights Reserved.