Share |
Better Knees With Tiger Bend Squats

10-20-2010, 05:38 PM

John,

You may get into trouble if some of those inmates use Isometrics to the level where they can bend their cell bars and get out!! Isn't that what one of the old timers did? Great to hear that he's doing great and turning his life around and helping others do the same. We need more positive role models in our prisons for those that end up there.

I enjoy the DVR Squats a lot and it doesn't take much to tire out your muscles with this exercise.

Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

10-20-2010, 06:07 PM

You know, in re-reading this thread I can vouch for same. Tiger Bend Squats were hard on my knees at first, but my knees were already shot. Between Nutrima's Pain and Inflamation formula and their Lominical, my knees started feeling better. When I did G.U.T.S. the first time, I went ahead and did 300 Tiger Bend Squats even though I'd never done that many, nor had I done much in the way of squatting for almost two years.

I actually had to wear neoprene sleeves to keep my knees warm and only squatted to parallel for the first few weeks, BUT by alternating them with the step-ups a funny thing happened. All the knee pain disapeared and my knees got stronger. I can even do the ballet squats now for a hundred reps or more. I also squat without wraps and go below parallel for the Tiger Bend Squats.

Yeah John, you know of what you speak, and I think it is wonderful that your positive message on mind, body and spirit is filtering through the prisons. Guys doing hard time need that kind of direction.

Greg Newton

Share |

10-20-2010, 07:43 PM

John,
Can I get the same benefit from Atlas squats as TBS? They feel better to me.
Scott

Share |

10-20-2010, 08:45 PM

I injured my left knee pretty bad almost two years ago from a snowboarding accident. I was limping on it for a few months and I had to discontinue any exercises that I was doing, which was the 5 Tibetan rites and long walks at the time. After several months of inactivity I found transformetrics and ordered The Miracle 7 book. The m7 helped me get back into shape and helped with my knee a little. Then G.U.T.S. came along and after a few weeks my knee was almost completely healed from the Tiger Bend Squats. I was finally able to bend my knee all the way and to kneel without pain or discomfort in my knee.

Whenever I stray away from the GUTS exercises I start to feel discomfort in my knee and in my shoulder/upper back area. Then when I am back on GUTS, my entire body feels light and free of any discomfort or constriction. In fact sometimes it feels like I have no body at all because it starts to function so effortlessly. There is something very synergistic about these exercises and I think I am hooked for life.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

10-20-2010, 09:08 PM

I agree big time about Tiger bend squats. Its far better on the knees and legs ingeneral then regular squats. Although the squat is considered a mondern day foundational exercise the Hindu Squat I feel is more fundemental then that and most likely older interms of conditioning. Lately i have done more then 200+ hindu squats and without question i feel better physically and mentally and better on the shins then the traditional modern squat.

Share |

Legacy Member

10-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Scott,

John is out of town this weekend and may not see your question so I am going to take a stab at it. Ballet or Atlas squats are squats where you keep the heels six inches or closer and stay on the toes the whole time you squat. Recently, after John's advice not to bottom out on this exercise, I have found this to be a safe one to use. I squat until my thighs are parallel to the floor.

This can change according to individual body leverage, but I've found the Ballet Squats to be superior for creating muscularity in the lower and mid quadriceps, as well as the leg bicep. It is definitely a conditioner as well.

However, in terms of overall endurance and conditioning, I find that the Tiger Bend Squat is the superior exercise IF you squat a few inches lower than parallel. I like to squat where my thighs fold over my calves. I alternate Ballet Squats, Tiger Bend Squats, and Step-ups as the center piece of my G.U.T.S. workouts. All three exercises are great.

Greg Newton

Share |

Author

10-21-2010, 03:57 PM

The TBS is a great way to keep the quadriceps built without undue knee stress.

After a slight mishap of jumping off a ladder a few years ago in trying to knock a bee hive off the side of my house, my left knee became inflamed, and I found the TBS done to parallel benefited the fact that I took to limping a bit from swollen knee tissue.

By the way, several writers from prisons over the years have told me they've benefited from doing VRT in the absence of weights that were once so available but are no longer so. Exercise is a great benefit to those imprisoned, and most no longer have equipment.

Greg Mangan

Share |

Legacy Member

10-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
By the way, several writers from prisons over the years have told me they've benefited from doing VRT in the absence of weights that were once so available but are no longer so. Exercise is a great benefit to those imprisoned, and most no longer have equipment.
Having worked on the other side of the bars some may be surprised at what I am going to say, but I think the trend to remove weights and exercise equipment out of the prisons was stupid. Prisoners need a release and something positive to do while on the inside.

However, I also must say this. I believe programs like VRT are superior to programs utilizing apparatus, because not only are they noninjurious, but they also strengthen concentration, willpower and mental tenacity.

Greg Newton

Share |

10-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Greg,
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Scott

Share |

Tags
squats