Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

12-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Hey, Scott. Haven't posted regularly in awhile. I'm in a state of transition and feel like I'm stuck
in neutral. But hopefully I'll pull out of this funk soon. But still remain exercising.

After the holiday thanksgiving season put on a few pounds: back up to about 167 pounds. But that's better than 199.

But with the weight loss have noticed the abs showing through. So, am concentrating on keeping them visible.

Basically, have incorporated a Farmer Burns stomach flattener into the Tiger Bend Squats. Have placed one of those 4' x 1' mirrors in front of me so that I can see the abs flex as I go down and don't release the tension until I hit the top of the exercise. 500 stomach flatteners in one session!

The mirror is a good addition to the workout and helps the mind body connection in the workout.

Today's workout:

Squats: 500 Tiger Bend

Pushups: Tiger Stretch 100
33, 33, 34

Furey Back Bridge: 120 count.

A few PYTP chest routines.

Tweaked my knee about 10 days ago and today's the first day I felt comfortable returning back to doing 500 squats in a set. Don't know exactly what happened, but must have strained a calf muscle. The whole knee swelled up and had difficulty getting around. Gradually worked up to 500 this week after letting the leg rest for a week: 100, 200, 250, and today 500.

Also, hit 5 sets of 35 in the Tiger Stretch Pushups the other day. Maybe the weight loss made it easier to push up. Anyway, decided to try for a 50 set of Tiger Stretch and hit it. Kind of surprised by the progress. But am glad that the upper body work is finally starting to see improvement after changing the form to bring it into line with the good form presented here on this site in the posted video exercise examples.

The upper body looks better now than an any time in my life--including my teens and my supposed prime years of physical strength.

Hank

Last edited by PowerHank; 12-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Powerhank, hope your knee gets better soon, the one thing I like about your workout, is it is very basic and simple, gets the job done, and does not take a lot of time, keep us posted on your routine, have a great holiday season.

Share |

12-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Hank,

I too admire your workouts and your consistency. I had great results with the Hindu Squat and Pushup but for some reason stopped and went back to regular pushups. Youve inspired me to return. Thanks

John

Share |

03-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Thanks, for the compliments. It's good to see progress even though I'm getting older: now 56 going on 57.

Yesterday's workout:

Tiger Bend Squats: 400 in 4 sets of 100

Tiger Stretch pushups: 80 in 4 sets of 20.

Furey Back Bridge: 180 counts.
probably about 2:00.

Just a few comments on the squats and pushups that seemed to have helped me. I said I would post some of the insights that I've gained recently; but haven't really come through. So here they are.

Have this dog. And I've been trained in these body weight exercises that are based on the watching of the movements of animals. So, I watch the dog in the morning and as I take him out for a walk.

In the morning she loves to go out for a walk. I'm sleeping. It's about 6:30 AM. I'm trying to sleep. The next thing I know this dog is scratching the covers off my face. I act like I'm snoring. The dog whimpers and scratches the covers again. I snore some more. The dog is not fooled.

It's 5 degrees in PA. It's cold. And this dog wants to go for a walk. Stupid dog. Leave me alone. But anyway. I get up. Put my boots on. And I watch the dog. She leans forward and stretches her back legs. And then she leans back and stretches her front legs.

I'm watching the animal. I take mental notes. When you're doing Tiger Stretch pushups stretch your back legs on the way up, stretch your arms on the way back. Sometimes I incorporate a yawn into these movements taking care to breathe in simulating a yawn while doing these stretching movements. Seems to work.

The definition in pectorals gives witness to the effectiveness of using this tip over the last half year. Smart dog.

And then I take the dog outside for a walk. The dog does its business and then performs its scratching movements. I suppose the creator has given them wisdom to know to cover up their business. This dog does her final business, turns 90 degrees, and covers up the road.

Stupid dog.

Don't copy everything an animal does.

Fluid movement on the Tiger Bend Squat.
I find it best to concentrate on keeping my hands going behind my calves for the descent, scratching the ground with the backs of the fingernails, and thinking about making it a circular motion with the arms on the descent and the way up. This mental picture helps to keep the squat from being a jerky bounce on the bottom but rather a smooth gradual descent and rise on the bottom.

And that's it for the day.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

03-08-2014, 01:31 PM

Powerhank, When you say stretch your arms and legs,are you talking about going back to the up position and then straighten both the arms and legs in the up position? Great to see you posting again,looking forward to some more of your posts.I really enjoy doing both Hindu squats and Hindu push ups.

Share |

03-08-2014, 03:45 PM

And if yer lost in the woods, watch how your dog lines itself up to do it's business , it could potentially tell you either where north or south is...

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....agnetic-field/

Smart dog!!!

Share |

03-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynogoalie30 View Post
Powerhank, When you say stretch your arms and legs,are you talking about going back to the up position and then straighten both the arms and legs in the up position?
Watch the animals stretch when they wake up. That's what I copy.

But after you push up and your head is in its forward most position, you should be concentrating on stretching your legs. A cat or other four legged animal would appear to stretching his rear legs. The animal also stretches its front legs but is leaning backward. We would be or should be stretching our arms at this time.

I find it helps to breathe in and yawn towards the end of either stretching position.

Share |

03-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Hank,
Great to see you posting again. I hardly ever post anywhere nowadays but I love to read some of my favorite posters insights. I hope you have a great day and as always good luck with your training!

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats