Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

11-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Hank, you definitely got a leg up on doing the 300 Tiger Bend Squats, you'll blow through that one, the one that most might consider one of the hardest parts.

Perhaps you should go for the G.U.T.S. Power Challenge???

http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...GUTS+Challenge

Last edited by Scott Silva; 11-24-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Pladeramusuca

Share |

11-30-2009, 04:59 PM

I was wondering where that GUTS power challenge was. Still don't see the specifics from the link. Do I have to buy the book?

Anyway, Just a few short posts on some workouts here.

Said, I would do 3,000 squats. I don't what possessed me. I guess I said it out loud. There's power in the spoken word. Or so my pentecostal friend keeps on telling me. You have to say it out loud.

Name it claim it. Unfortunately, I see too much of an emphasis on claiming material things in our current generation to the point where the current generation of American Christian considers it a level of spirituality to achieve material success.

Well, I digress.

Thanksgiving Day. 3:00 pm. The sun was out earlier in PA. Ah, let's do it. I'm pumped. I'm going to do it. 3,000 Tiger Bend Squats. I get dressed. Go outside. It looks miserable. It's cold. It's misting. I give up before I start.

I go back inside. I do 1 squat. And 2 Tiger Stretch pushups. And 1 shoulder bridge. I'm just not in the mood. At least I didn't consume too much energy in that gutless workout.

It's Black Friday now. The day after. I'm pumped. I'm going to do it. I take off. Take off on my trusty old Schwinn LE. I check the temperature. 42.7 degrees. Looks like it might rain. It doesn't. It snows. Little soft pellets fall from the gray Pennsylvania sky attempting to discourage me on my quest. They melt when they hit the ground. A few of the white pellets catch in my flannel shirt and in my hair. I almost give in. Do it. Just do it.

After a solitary ride and hike up to a solitary pike soon my bare feet hit the ground and I proceed on my normal 1 set of each Trinity Exercise workout. Of course, I do a few TIVI.

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch Pushups.
Pushups were never my strong suit. But I can do more than I used to do.

Squats: 3,100

Start time (Military time). I'm using my bicycle speedometer as a timer. It only has military time despite its advertised ability to switch between 12 and 24 hour formats. What do you expect for $2.38 off of Ebay.

Start Time: 13:06 End Time 14:32. Or about 4 minutes less than an hour and a half.

Threw in a set of 100 jumpers at the last. Was doing around about 35 - 37 Tiger Bend per minute. Slowed that down for the last set of 100 jumpers. Was going to do just 30 jumpers to finish. But I said, "Why not." Let's go for a hundred. A hundred sounds more impressive.

So I did.

The only question I have is to why don't pushups work like this? Perhaps the answer lies in the mastery of the plyometric form of the exercise. In other words, mastering jump squats as the more advanced form of the squat leads to ridiculous rep counts in the Tiger Bend.

So, my theory is that if one could come up with a good plyometric exercise for the pushup, similar numbers or results could be achieved.

Really didn't break into a sweat. I checked my forehead at about 1800 squats. It was moist. But sweat was not dripping anywhere. It was about 38 or 39 degrees out. And really did not get that sore the next day.

Back Bridge.
By the time I'm done with the 3100 my feet feel numb. It is cold outside. I sat down. Short breather. I stand up to get ready for the bridge. It feels like I just kind of floated up into the air. I definitely feel lighter. I think the 3100 repititions put my legs into auto pilot. They just kind of straighten up automatically. I kind of floated to a standing position.

I go down for the bridge. My legs feel drained. I try the bridge. I said I can't do this. I fall down.
Do it again. Try it again. You're going to do it. Ok. Okay. But I'm not saying it out loud. I don't care what my Pentecostal friend says.

My legs really feel limber. You wouldn't believe how limber they feel.

I make the bridge. Heels in the air. Nose to the ground.

180 counts. I practice the breathing techniques I've learned from Furey and from my own personal experiences from long distance bike rides. I feel the Chi (Energy) flow along the meridians of my legs.
I'm doing a pretty quick count. Probably less than two minutes. I don't care. I just want to say I did 180 counts.

I make the descent down the hill. I ride back home. There's no place like home. A nice warm home. I notice that I'm going about 2 -3 miles slower on my bike speedometer than I usually go.

I wonder why?

Hank

Share |

11-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Attaboy, Hank!!
WOW. 3100 squats.
Good job.
We should bronze your legs for posterity or something.

Cliff

Share |

11-30-2009, 10:00 PM

G.U.T.S Challenge

Atlas III Push-ups - 50 (In 1 minute)

Atlas Sit-ups - 100 (In 3 minutes)

Tiger Bend Squats - 300 (In 12 minutes)

Atlas Sit-ups - 100 (In 3 minutes)

Atlas III Push-ups - 50 (In 1 minute)

The Milo Exercise - 20/20, 15/15 (For 4 minutes)

Quote:
The only question I have is to why don't pushups work like this?
Didn't you once say you had an injury or something from your work???

Share |

12-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the replies on the GUTS. It's kind of hard for me to change the way I do things. I just like to do my rep set. Recuperate. Do my rep set. I call it a lazy workout. I like a challenge. But I just like to rest after doing an exercise. I'm kind of low key.

But I'll see what I can do to break things up temporarily.

Yesterday's workout.

TIVI: a few reps

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch
Had to use a few pauses along the way to finish the set. This good form takes it out of me. But the aesthetic results are continuing to improve while the reps are down. So will continue with the proper form. Why did I buy that camera with video capabilities. It ruined my rep count.

Situps: 50
I don't know the proper form. Other than to just not keep your feet tucked under something. And then I didn't like keeping my hands behind the neck. So I just crossed them across my chest.

Squats: 300 in 6 minutes.
Well, so much for a challenge on the squats. Took a break for a few minutes.

Pushups: 25 Tiger Stretch

Situps: 50

Milo: 6 sets.

Back Bridge: 180 count.

Hank

Share |

12-03-2009, 02:06 PM

Yesterday's Workout:

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch

Pullups: 1, 3, 5

Today's GUTS workout: Thanks for the info on the General Universal Training System (GUTS) Wacky and Greg. Tried one today.

It takes me awhile to change. I don 't like to change the way I do things. But why not? If JP says it's good, it must be good. I'll let him do the thinking, I'll just do the exercises--with a few mods here and there to fit the PowerHank profile. Tried the GUTS other day. But after 4 or 5 years of taking breaks between sets--I just break till I feel recuperated. Which to me might be 4 or 5 minutes daydreaming. Where was I? Oh yeah, I threw in a few breaks on that attempt.

Shooting for a 24 minute GUTS workout today. Modified it to fit my profile. And this is what came out.

Pushups: 35 Tiger Stretch

Situps: PowerHank situp. I don't know what an Atlas situp is. Just know that if you hold your ankles down it's not good. So crossed my arms across the chest and did 35 situps in about 3 minutes.

Squats: 300 Tiger Bend in 7 minutes.
Slowed the squats a little bit down today from the last attempt. But I still have to figure out what else to throw in.

Situps: 40 PowerHank Situps. 3 minutes.
For some reason. My midsection feels energized after doing the squats. I do more. Don't ask me why.

Pushups: 25 Tiger Stretch.

Great Gama Jump Squats: 100
About Three Minutes.

Pushups: 20 Tiger Stretch.

MILOs 2 sets of six.

And that's 24 minutes.

Take about a minute break. After not taking any breaks in the above I feel guilty. So I keep my break down to about a minute.

Back Bridge: 180 count. Can't leave it out. The King of the Royal Court exercises.

Worked up a dripping sweat today in this workout. That hasn't happened in quite awhile.

Hank

Share |

12-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Another day of dripping sweat. 2 days in a row. That hasn't happened in awhile.

Used to have to mop up the floor after doing 500 squats. Now, my forehead gets a little moist.

Maybe these GUTS workouts will be the ticket to losing my gut. I think so. High intensity workouts, according to the medical community, produce what they call the afterburner effect. Your body reaches into the stored fat cells to replenish the energy consumed by the muscles during a high intensity workout. The sports doctors say a high intensity workout burns more calories than a longer slow tempo workout. It's just the nature of the beast.

I was telling my son the other day I used to be able to eat like a horse and not put on any weight. Now at 52 years of age, if I eat like a horse, I turn into a horse--even if I do 500 squats a day.

Today's workout:

TIVI: a few reps.

Situps: PowerHank style

60 in 3 minutes. Made some progress today. Didn't feel the soreness today like yesterday and increased the rep count.

Squats: 422
Decided to go for 12 minutes like the GUTS plan.
Whatever was left after 400 decided to throw in as jump squats. So 400 Tiger Bend, 22 Great Gama Jumpers in 12 minutes.

Situps: 60 in 3 minutes

MILOS: 2 sets of ten.

And that took me 24 minutes.

Checked the mail. Took a breather and finished out with a Furey Back Bridge: heels in the air, nose on the mat. 180 count.

One of the bad side effects of exercise is that it produces oxidization. Your body fills up with all kinds of bad chemicals produced from strenuous exercise. But then if you don't exercise, the results are worse. So I like using the Furey Back Bridge. Not only is it a great exercise for strength and flexibility. But it's the one exercise that when properly done with the right breathing frees up the gunk thrown into the meridians from a high intensity exercise.

I experienced its benefit the other day after returning from a strenuous bike ride up and down these Pennsylvania hills. I took a nap and was rudely awakened by the leg cramps. I tried to get up. They got worse. I tried to turn over on my side. They cramped up more. I couldn't get up. I couldn't get down. I couldn't turn over. My legs were full of the gunk of oxidization.

So, I tried a shoulder bridge with while doing deep breathing. The relief was almost instantaneous. Couldn't believe it. I could sit up. I could stand. The cramps just disappeared.

All I'm trying to say is that there's more than meets the eye to the Furey Back Bridge.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

12-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Decided to go for 12 minutes like the GUTS plan.
Whatever was left after 400 decided to throw in as jump squats. So 400 Tiger Bend, 22 Great Gama Jumpers in 12 minutes
That boggles my mind Hank. I struggle to get 300 in twelve. Fantastic job.

Greg

Share |

12-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Do you have Combat Conditioning Hank?

If you do, Atlas sit-ups are just like No Momentum sit-ups except you have your fingers interlocked behind your head, and when the GUT starts going down, with an eventuality of curling up & being able to touch your nose to your knees every rep...

Share |

12-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
That boggles my mind Hank. I struggle to get 300 in twelve. Fantastic job.
Greg, it also boggles my mind. At age 52 I can do what I couldn't do at age 22. These are amazing exercises.

Starting to like this GUTS routine. It's only been about 4 days into this routine for me and I'm starting to notice what I haven't noticed in years: my gut is starting to slim down. It's amazing. I can do do 2000 squats. And the gut does not look like it's budged. Do 500 squats a day for months on end and the extra belly fat just seems to stick around. Do the GUTS routine for 4 days. I just can't believe it. Maybe I'll order the book.

Thanks Wacky for another tip on the situps. Another WackyBaby tip. However, it looks like I'll have to fore go doing that for awhile until the BUM heals. I haven't done situps in about 10 years or more and I don't have callouses on my rear end anymore. I'm going to start calling this workout the Blood and GUTS routine. Was wondering what that red spot was doing on my towel. Was using it as a cushion to do the sit-ups instead of the hard tile on my floor. I don't have a CC book. Was going to order about 5 years ago. But then I found PYTP on Ebay. It was cheaper and it had some pictures of the correct forms for the Trinity. So I ordered it. I'm always looking for a bargain. I think I got more than I bargained for. Great book. Now if I can find it in my apartment. I guess I'll have to clean up again. It's been about 7 years. I'm due.

Currently, I am using the diamond technique: making a diamond shape with my hands around my tail bone so that that sore spot caused by doing sit ups does not rub any more than necessary.

Out of necessity I had to come up with the Diamond Sit up. You read it first at the PowerHank Transformetric link.

Saturday's workout:

Situps 60 bloody situps. I'm not British. So I'm not cussing. Although I do feel like it at the time.

Squats: 520 12 minutes
Decided to up the ante to 500 this time. Why not. Whatever is left over 500, do jumpers. 500 Tiger Bend - 20 jumpers.

Situps: 60

MILO's 2 sets of 10

That's 24 minutes.

Rest about 12 minutes. Do a Furey Back Bridge. 180 count

Monday's Workout: More of the same. However, have been rubbing some salve on that raspberry. It's turning a good dark red now. And, of course, I'm incorporating the diamond method.

Don't want to leave any of this routine out. Will do whatever I have to do to keep the routine up. Hey, if it works. Do what you have to do.

TIVI: few reps

Am feeling stronger in the pushups. May want to increase these.

Situps: 57 diamond situps

Squats: 525
500 Tiger Bend, 25 Great Gama Jumpers.
I think I'll go for 600 in 12 minutes. Have done 500 in less than 10 before. You're going so fast that on the way up, though, your feet almost leave the ground. It's kind of hard not to do a jump squat at faster than 50 squats a minute. Liederman had that list of things that every man should be able to do. You know, pullups, swimming, etc. And then Furey said he wanted to add to that list with the following 100 squats in 2 minutes or less.

I said, that's nothing. I read that and said, "I'll blow that away." 125 in two minutes.

I digress. This GUTS routine has put my mind into overdrive. I'm spitting out copy at the rate of 50 words a minute.

Situps: 57 Diamond situps

Pushups: 30 Tiger Stretch
Feeling stronger. Upped the second set to 30

MILO's 2 sets of 10

That's 24 minutes.

Do 1 wall walk. And I about faint. I have very low blood pressure. I bend over so that the blood returns to my head. One of these days I'm going to faint and I hope that I don't get hurt.

Hank

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats