Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

12-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Tuesday GUTS:

TIVI: a few reps to warm up.

Pushups: 35 Tiger Stretch

Situps: 60 in 3 minutes.
maybe I'll start working up to 100. Trying to pick up the speed. Developing a breathing technique. Breathing in on the way back. Holding it till almost all the way up seems to help speed. Letting it explode towards the end. Gotta get the speed up.

Squats: 417 - 12 minutes
400 Tiger Bend - 17 Great Gama Jumpers

Situps 60 in 3

Pushups: 30 Tiger Stretch

MILO 2x10
2x 7

24 minutes.

Rested about 8 minutes

Furey back bridge 210 count.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

12-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
However, it looks like I'll have to fore go doing that for awhile until the BUM heals. I haven't done situps in about 10 years or more and I don't have callouses on my rear end anymore.
Hank,

I have been practicing the Atlas sit-up for a couple of years with the same problem, especially as I got into higher reps. After I started G.U.T.S. I started using a one inch inflatable camping mat I had. It made a big difference. John is the one who recommended I use some kind of padding or mat.

Greg

Share |

12-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks, Greg. I think I'll get a mat. Some fellow from another Website was selling exercise mats that just did wonders. He said, "It felt like I was back on the sand. It was an amazing workout. Yak, Yak, Yak."
$100.00

No thanks. But will probably look for an odd piece of memory foam and see how that works. Or just order a few of those mat puzzle pieces that you can lay down on the floor.

I should have been doing these situps 4 years ago.

Today's workout: Another GUTS

TIVI: a few reps with deep breathing to loosen up the joints and get the Chi flowing.

Situps: 60
Trying to keep the breathing synchronized but get sidetracked. These wind me more than anything.

Squats: 380 Tiger Bend.
Slowed down a bit on the squats today.

Situps: 60

Pushups: 30 Tiger Stretch

MILOs 2x10 2x7

Took a shower while I was coated with sweat. Strange thing. Hardly sweat a drop yesterday. Today, sweat was all over the floor. And not as many squats.

Finished up with A Furey Back Bridge after having cooled down with a cold shower.

Hank

Share |

12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Todays workout:

Short post on the workout.

3 1/2 mile ride on my Trusty Old Schwinn LE.

But I just wanted to post a note of thanks to the Lord and to my friend--the one who accompanied me on the Hogsback Hill ride and who can do 100 Liederman pushups--for the return of my old friend.

Hadn't mentioned anything here. But my Classic Schwinn LE had been stolen about 10 days ago. This is about the fourth time. I always pray for its return and the Lord always sees fit to bring it back. Was praying about it before but didn't feel that this time it would come back. But then I decided to keep on praying and it seemed that the Lord said, "You didn't publicly thank me last time I brought it back."

"Okay, I will publicly thank you." I felt better. Maybe it was coming back. Must be. Why else would he deal with me about my unthankfulness? Sure enough. I hear a thud.

What? What was that? I heard someone walk quietly through the hallway and then I hear the hurried footsteps of someone descending down the stairs. I pull off my gloves and hat and rush out into the hallway. There's my bike. I can't believe it. Nobody's in sight.

I rush outside and look around. I see no one. I go down the stairs and look outside. I see no one. I decide to try the thrift store across the street.

I see my friend looking through some of the used items for sale. He said he found my bike. I say, "Thank God. And thank you."

My bike's back intact. My $27 hand pump with its built in gauge. My $3.00 speedometer. My $5.00 headlight. My $2.00 rear reflector light. My $27 specially cushioned rear seat. And my $17 bicycle lock still intact and still protecting the seat post around which its cable was wound.

This bike belongs me and it belongs to God. Thank God. There is a God in heaven who hears and answers our prayers.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Hank Buddy,

Thank God for men who give credit where credit is due. Be careful for nothing, but in everything, with prayer and thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. It is good to know a man of faith.

Greg

Share |

12-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes, Thank God. He answers prayer. I sure missed my racing handle bars. Fixed her up again today. Got the rear shifting cables working again and straightened out the ding in the back wheel. It's an old bike. Don't look like much to most, but I've grown attached to it over the years.

Average about three thousand miles a year on the bike. Over 10 years, I probably have about 30,000 miles on that thing. And it delivers excellent gas mileage.

Today's workout:

Back to the GUTS.

TIVI: about 20 reps. Breathing in the Chi and breathing out the gunk.

Pushups seem like they're starting to come easier. May up the count next week.

Situps: 75 Diamond. about 3 1/2 minutes
Still using the diamond on the hands to protect the raspberry on the BUM. Should be healed by next week. Will get the hands behind the neck. Was noticing from Greg's Post on the situps that 75-100 should be a good number to shoot for. So upped the count. Could do 100. But it takes too long. Need to get the speed up. The breathing is becoming automatic after doing this routine for about a week now.

Squats: 480 in 12 minutes
400 Tiger Bend, 80 Great Gama Jumpers

Situps: 75 Diamond

Pushups:
30 Tiger Bend

Packed up the mattress and layed down a towel for a Furey Back Bridge.
180 count.

Hank

Share |

12-11-2009, 05:43 PM

Hank, really enjoyed your Schwinn story.
I am getting the strong feeling that I limit God's influence on my life in the "little" things. He has done exceeding abundantly wonderful with the "big" things. He deserves to handle everything.

Oh yeah, good workouts too.

Merry Christmas!
Cliff

Share |

12-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey, Cliff.

"The little foxes, that spoil the vines (Ecclesiastes 2:15)."

As evangelist Dr. Bob Jones, Sr. used to say, "To the man of God there is no difference between the secular and the sacred. Every bush is a burning bush. Every task is a sacred task."

I think that's right. Used to read those sayings every day for about 6 years in the hallways of Bob Jones University (BJU). Kind of ingrained in my head.

Used to substitute teach kids in the public school system and would start the hour playing a game of hangman using one of his chapel sayings. Didn't tell them where it came from. By the way, if you've ever tried to substitute teach in the public school system, you don't know what you're in for.

But that would challenge them for the tasks they had for the day. I've still got a long ways to go to get all those little things straightened out.

Saturday's workout:

Pullups: 1, 3

Tweaked my left ankle sometime during the day. Or I got bit by the H1N1 virus. Don't know. Some lady in church said, "Pray for me. The doctor says I have a touch of the H1N1 virus."

I said to myself, "What are you doing in church?"

But by the end of Saturday I could hardly walk across the street much less do a few hundred squats. Felt a slight twinge of a fever and more than the accustomed aches were emanating from by back. Usually, don't feel any there. But I felt I had a touch of the H1N1 virus.

I don't know. I think it's all overblown. But just to give this story a little flavor, I'm claiming that it was the H1N1 virus.

Anyway, after falling off a roof about 7 years ago I still feel a little stiffness in the left ankle, leg, and shoulder area. It was about 3 or 4 years before I could ride my bike with no pain. But I've been doing squats, pushups, bridges, etc. for the last 4 or 5 years. Maybe it was the 3,100 squats on Black Friday? Don't know.

But I took it easy Saturday. Rested Sunday. Felt good enough to ride around a few miles in the evening. So I did. And today, felt a small bit of pain, but nothing major.

And so I worked out.

Today's workout:

TIVI: a few reps

Pushups: 40 Tiger Stretch
Decided to up the count in the GUTS routine to 40 and 35. Didn't know what I was getting into, but put the negative thoughts out of my mind and just went for it. Little bit of a strain at the end. But it was alright. Could have done some more.

Situps: 75 in about 4 minutes.
These wind me more than the other exercises in the GUTS. Primarily, because I have not done them for so long. If it weren't for the Tiger Stretch, I probably couldn't do 75.

Squats: 490 in 12 minutes
400 Tiger Bend, 90 Great Gama Jumpers. Hit 400 at about 20 seconds before 10 minutes. Finished out with 90 jumpers to get the blood flowing and the fat burning ovens going.

Situps: 75 in about 4 minutes
Am gasping for breath again.

Pushups: 35 tiger stretch

MILOS: 2x10, 2x7

Furey Back Bridge: 210 count.

And that's it for the day. My ankle feels fine now. I'm glad. It sure is a blessing to be able to walk. It's just an ankle. But you don't realize how important your ankle is until you can hardly walk across the street.

Hank

Share |

12-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Tuesday Workout:

Another day of General Universal Training System (GUTS).

Tuesday GUTS:

TIVI: a few reps breathing in the Chi.

Pushups: 40 Tiger Stretch
Feeling stronger on the pushups this week. Upped the reps to 40, 35 from 35, 30. Must be the synergistic effect.

Situps: 75 Diamond Situps - 4 minutes
Did throw in a hands-behind-the-neck Atlas. The bum is starting to heal. But only did one. Could feel the extra pull. Diamonds are easier.

Squats: 475 - 12 minutes
400 Tiger Bend, 75 Great Gama Jumpers

Situps: 75 Diamond Situps -- 4 minutes

Sure am glad when the pushups arrive.

After doing the squats I'm not really sweating. A little moist. But after doing 75 situps the sweat begins to bead and starts to drop. By the time the pushups are done and the MILOS begin, the droplets of sweat begin to form some serious puddles. I'm impressed. This is a quality workout routine.

Break for a few minutes.

Furey Back Bridge. 180 count
It's been awhile since I've seen this much sweat. An invigorating workout.

Last edited by PowerHank; 12-16-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Share |

12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Wednesday GUTS:

TIVI:

Pushups: 40 tiger stretch

Situps: 40 Atlas situps
Things are starting to heal up. So went with the Atlas. Kind of careful. Seems if I pull with my hands locked behind the neck, it makes the situp harder. Definitely more of a workout on the stomach locking the hands behind the neck.

Squats: 425 in 12 minutes
400 Tiger Bend, 25 Great Gama Jumpers. Kind of running slow today. Late night last night.

Situps: 40 Atlas
Easier the second time around. Tried to not pull with the arms, just the stomach muscles.

MILOS: 2x10 2x7

Skipped the bridge today. Running late.

Hank

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats