Share |
TBS - a question of form

12-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Hi John, a wee question on form. I've always been taught to keep your knee behind your toe, and I know there was a thread on squats a while back and one of the contributors suggested doing the squat in front of the wall to test form and make sure the knees didn't hit the wall as they came forward. However, I was just showing a friend some stuff in your IPR book and I noticed that your knees go in front of your feet, and also you do your squats on your toes, but I can't do that, I have to keep my heels to the floor or I don't have the balance. I thought this might be because of my knees, which always hurt when I work out because I have split patellas, but when I saw your form I realise that it's probably the only way I can keep the knees behind my toes and go right down. What's the story on proper form for these?

Share |

12-10-2009, 10:48 AM

I personally use the full range depicted. Fingertips brushing the floor and yes, knees extend slightly in front of my feet. But it does not bother my knees. If it bugs your's just experiment until you find a variation that is not painful.

A couple years ago, this exercise DID bother my knees, so I switched to the Balance Squat (also called Atlas or Ballet squat). After some time of performing those, I returned to the TBS and it no longer bothered my knees.

The point is switch to another variation because 1. You don't want to hurt yourself. 2. It's still good exercise. and 3. You may find that your knees will become conditioned and allow you to return to the TBS as pictured in the books.

Have fun!

Paul

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

12-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Proper form?

Well, from what I've read from Furey and other sites--knees in front of the toes.

Keep your back as straight up and down as you can while you descend and ascend to avoid too much strain on your lower back. Heels are to come up off the floor as you go down and they are to come back when returning to the up position.

Breathe out on the way down. Breathe in on the way up. Keep your eyes looking forward and not looking at the floor. Drag your fingertips on the floor at the bottom This is the Hindu Squat or as it was renamed here, the Tiger Bend Squat.

John has an excellent gif on the exercise section of the web site.

I prefer using the term Tiger Bend Squat. If for no other reason that people don't look at me strange like I've gone over to some Eastern Religion.

But one of the reasons for going onto your toes is so that you are forced to work the core muscles of your legs to keep your balance. So, yes, they are more difficult to do that way. But they do produce better results and better strength.

Personally, I think you would be further ahead to do fewer on your toes than more on the flats so that your legs are forced to work the muscles that rarely are hit.

After all, most of us don't spend our time walking on tree limbs. We spend our time walking on the flat ground. You'll develop Combat Legs in this manner.

But again, what you do will ultimately be tempered by your current condition. Listen to your own body and avoid pushing yourself if it feels painful.

Hank

Share |

12-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Depending on how long your legs/shins are and how wide your stance is, it may be almost impossible to keep your knees behind your toes.

I find I have to do TBS pretty fast to avoid falling over, too.

Superman, Superman, wish I could fly like superman
Superman, Superman, I want to be like superman

Share |

12-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Brilliant guys, that really answers me questions, and many thanks Hank for breaking it down for me, that totally helps. Once I'm not trying to restrict the movement to knees behind toes I'll be able to do them on my toes which'll be a better work out. Paul, there is no movement that doesn't hurt my knees, it's a fact of life for me, I just manage it by icing after training, and wearing supports for certain exercises, more to keep warm in the joint than to hold the joint together. I can train without them, it just hurts more. I take high doses of joint supplement, and I'm not damaging my knees as such, I want to keep the muscles strong so I don't spend my older years hobbling everywhere!

Share |

Tags
squats