Share |
Simple Strategy for a better/safer squat

12-14-2009, 10:45 AM

So do to previous knee injuries i never do hindu squats. Im not saying that if you have hurt your knee before you cant do them,just for me personally it effects my knees negatively so i dont do them. Really this is Transformetrics at its essence USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Despite the fact that i dont do hindu squats i still love to perform high rep squats but i ALWAYS do them FLAT FOOTED. Doing them this way has definitely helped protect my knees but i was running into a different problem. When i try to perform the same arm movement (bringing the arms down to the ground then rowing when i came up)flat footed as i do when doing the hindu version it throws my back out of alignment. Now when you do it this way with the hindus its not a problem because do to the nature of the movement (rising on your toes)you sit back instead of having to hunch over with your back.

So here is what i came up with. When i squat down(flat footed) i simply put my arms straight out in front of me to counter balance myself and then on the way up i either simply drop them to my waist or still perform the rowing motion.

Neither flat footed or on toes version of squatting is better or worse then each other.There simply different and therefore give different advantages and disadvantages. The reality of the toes version is that it does put direct preasure on your knees, however if your body is built for it or you have had no prior injuries you could be fine doing them this way in-defiantly.The only way to find out is to try them out.One of the major advantages of doing them hindu style is that its great for developing balance. Which is a great asset for anybody and especially a combat athlete. Unfortunately for me the risk(hurt knees)is not worth the reward.

Now the advantage of doing flat footed squats especially the way that i described(putting your arms straight out to counter balance on the way down)is that the motion is slightly reduced and therefore you can do these at a higher pace,and as we know a higher pace can result in a higher heart rate!

Next time you do your squats give this version a try and tell me how you like it.

PEACE

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Good post Black Knight. I hadn't done squats regularly in a couple of years because of my knees. I had to experiment a little before I found the right groove for G.U.T.S. I even did them flatfooted a few times, which in some ways can be harder than doing them on the toes if you go to where the backs of your thighs fold over your calves. There is more hamstring involvement flatfooted.

Something that has come up from time to time are people who have done high reps with the balanced on toes squats and were disapointed because they found that doing them this way didn't help move their barbell squat. The reason why, is that you are working different muscles. You don't squat with a barbell on your toes. You squat flatfooted. If you want free hand squats to assist your barbell squat, you do them flatfooted for hundreds of reps like Paul Anderson and John Grimek did.

I also want to throw this in. The step-up, which is more of a sprinting step-up, as well as the Atlas situps, provide a counter balance to the Tiger Bend Squats. My knees which haven't always been the healthiest are doing fine thanks to these two other movements.

Share |

12-14-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
The step-up, which is more of a sprinting step-up, as well as the Atlas situps, provide a counter balance to the Tiger Bend Squats.
Is this because the step-up works the hamstrings more than the TBS? Is there a danger of creating a muscular imbalance if the TBS is my only leg exercise?

Paul

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Hi Paul,

I am going to weigh in with my experience. It might not necessarily line up with what others have found. Leverage, muscle lengths, prior muscle memory, etc. all have to do with how an exercise affects an individual.

There are a lot of plusses to the Tiger Bend, a.k.a. Hindu Squat. The metabolic deep breathing alone will enhance one's wind and endurance immensely. There is a feeling of well being that comes from doing Tiger Bend Squats that come from no other exercise. Afterwards there is a feeling of fatigue that tells you the body has been energized from the inside out. Tiger Bend Squats will give your legs a springy feeling that makes bounding up a steep incline a snap.

There are also some minuses. Hindu Squats alone, without any other leg work, can make one look like a Hindu wrestler; large around the waist, hips, and upper thighs, with a barrel chest from the breathing. Too, without exercises that strengthen the hamstrings, some will have muscular imbalance that will be felt with knee pain and instability.

To answer your question: yes, the sprinting step-ups develop the hamstrings. The muscles that are not worked by the Hindu Squats are worked by the step-ups and the Atlas sit-ups. My experience has been that the step-ups won't strengthen the legs for the Hindu Squats, and the Hindu Squats won't help you do more or faster step-ups, but the combination of the two work the leg muscles as a whole. That is why John recommends you alternate the two exercises.

Share |

12-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks, Greg. That definitely makes sense.

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

Tags
squats