Share |
Making the Charles Atlas Exercises Work...

Author

07-10-2018, 02:14 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a man asking me what I would do differently if I were a young kid starting out on Charles Atlas's Exercise System Today.

Truth to tell, not a whole lot different. If I were a kid today I would still want to have the input that I originally had from my grandfather and uncles that I did as a kid in1963. Why? Because just seeing the example that they set for me told me that I was following the best exercise system in the world. I had no questions, doubts or second thoughts. They were living, breathing examples of what was possible to achieve.

At the time my Grandfather started me on the course in July of that year he was just a few months away from his 70th birthday and he had the kind of lean, hard, and perfectly sculpted physique that I always aspired to having. The only thing I would do differently is to follow Dr. Laurence E. Morehouse protocols which means that I would used a weight vest for all of my upper body exercises in order to keep my reps on the Dynamic Tension Strength Calisthenics in the 15 to 20 reps range. I would have done 200+ reps on the Atlas Perpetual Lesson as a foundation during the building phase. It would have been awesome to know then what I know now.

The only other thing that I would do completely different would be to incorporate my Isometric Power Belt exercises. With those in place I could have easily achieved maximum results in a fraction of the time that I had spent on High Volume exercises. Seeing the results I have achieved today with my belt, I can just imagine what I would have done then.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

07-11-2018, 03:31 PM

With all the testosterone raging through a teenagers system any form of consistent exercise was going to pack on muscle. The high volume work that you did also lowered your stress level.
Since we are both 66, lowering the volume and raising the intensity with ISO-metrics seems the logical way to go, given the lower level of energy one has as we age.
I am thinking that I should get a weight vest for my pushups and drop my rep-range from 50 to 15-20, just as a way to increase strength and not just be working into the aerobic zone.

Tim

Share |

07-11-2018, 04:30 PM

I tried a weight vest and disliked it. BUT, using gymnastic rings with elevated legs, along with slowing down the tempo works like a charm!

At least for me. I think temperament of the individual has a lot to do what will work- for you!

Share |

07-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK View Post
With all the testosterone raging through a teenagers system any form of consistent exercise was going to pack on muscle. The high volume work that you did also lowered your stress level.
Since we are both 66, lowering the volume and raising the intensity with ISO-metrics seems the logical way to go, given the lower level of energy one has as we age.
I am thinking that I should get a weight vest for my pushups and drop my rep-range from 50 to 15-20, just as a way to increase strength and not just be working into the aerobic zone.

Tim
Tim, I would be careful with the vest. Both you and I damaged our shoulders with the bench press during the same period that John was enhancing his shoulder structure with pushups. As much as I agree with the advice of John, you and I are from a different background. Maybe try it and see how it goes.
All the best, Mike

Share |

Legacy Member

07-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Thanks Mike, you have a good point there. My shoulders feel so good now that I'd forgotten what it's like not to be able to raise my arms above shoulder level without pain.

Tim

Share |

07-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Different things work for different people and each of us have to figure out what works for us. I had excruciating shoulder pain and was afraid I would have to get an operation. I cured it and other injuries first with just mental projection into the muscles and then later as the pain subsided adding tension and the Isometric Power Belt to make it full Iso Dynamic Tension. Today as I approach my 80th birthday I have no sore joints or muscles. Gordon

Last edited by Andy62; 07-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
Different things work for different people
I'm going to take what Andy said one step further.

Different things work for different people at different times in their life.

Iím not just referring to age. There other factors like home life, work life, etc.

We each react, in some way, mentally, physically, emotionally and even spiritually to everything going on around us.

As a result, we wonít get the exact same results, even from the same exercises/routines. Thatís why we have to pay attention to ourselves, and not check out brains at the door. Everything changes!!

Rob

Share |