Share |
New Runner/ Running Routine

Legacy Member

09-01-2016, 11:29 AM

So as an older guy (>50), and never really a true runner I feel like I'm swimming uphill; nonetheless, I have been really focused on learning to run well. I'm doing this mainly for 2 reasons.

#1: I am required to perform a PT test for the Military at least once a year and i would like to do extremely well at it.

Granted, it's only a 1.5 miles and I really only need to do it around 14 minutes and I do, but that's really only because I never run at all, and when it comes time to perform the run I just fake it. My ultimate goal in this is to get to the point where I can get this to <10 Minutes. I'm taking it in baby steps, this year I want to be no more than 12 Minutes ( 8 Minute Mile pace ) which seems quite doable based on my latest practice, although I can't sustain the pace at this point but with my current practice schedule I think I'll get there.

#2: I really want to be a runner and be good at it and enjoy it. I have no desire to run long distances, but I want the ability to enjoy running without feeling beat up.

So I said all that to say this. I Have been slowly working up my running skills (Trying the POSE method) by just running 1 minute in good form, then walking, ( Rinse wash and repeat) in the hopes of eventually running solid for 20-30 minutes then work heavy on speed.

I'm running 3 times per week, and I'm wondering how everyone is integrating their lower body workouts, what they are doing, when they are doing it etc..etc..etc..

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
-Jon

Share |

09-02-2016, 08:06 AM

The method I use (pretty much the Pose method), really increased my ability to run more than I expected. I just trusted what I was learning about foot-strike, cadence, etc. The next thing you know, I am flying....

Today I run 1.5 at an average of 9-10 min. I could go faster, but my challenge is the hilly terrain where I run. To get to this point, I really didn't pay much attention to my times. In fact, I never felt like I was really running that fast at all, but when I look at the clock and my GPS, the tale was much different.

This is all I have done (I am 39): If I were you, I would lose the shoes (I know there are counter arguments to this, but this is my experience and my belief) so that I am not running on my heels. I got rid of my watch (except for about twice per month. Finally, plan to ENJOY myself when I go. Fast or slow, doesn't matter...I just go and enjoy the wind.

It sounds hokey, I know, but I'm not a coach either...I just run in the same mindset that all other methods of exercise are prescribed here. Hope that helps....

Share |

Legacy Member

09-02-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodude View Post
If I were you, I would lose the shoes (I know there are counter arguments to this, but this is my experience and my belief) so that I am not running on my heels. ....
Hey ISO,
Thanks for the advice, I've though quite a lot about an effective way to ensure that I'm not heel striking, I imagine myself (when I'm running) to picture what I would run like without my shoes on. I may give that a try and see how it plays out. Did you do this in the beginning to train yourself, or do you do this all the time now?

Where I run in the mornings requires shoes, I could probably lose them here and there. If I do give it a try I'll post my results good or bad.

Share |

09-04-2016, 07:11 PM

Okay so going to be honest and not trying to disrespect isodude.

My take on Pose is it s a fast way to be injured. If you watch elite distance runners, they land midfoot not on their toes unless they are doing an all out sprint. Pose is heavily promoted by Cross fit. I know quite a few people that have has serious foot and knee injuries by running on their toes. Another gimmick running form is chi running same concept as pose.
If you do these types of form changes then you have to do drills for a long time. Know an elite runner who took a year to get to running mid to forefoot running.

The whole barefoot thing is my opinion is a gimmick that has died out along with forcing many to quit running due to serious injury.
I would say if you were raised barefoot and played barefoot then you would be fine, thing is not many in the modern world can do that, we all wear shoes. I know quite a few who wore vibram 5 fingers and were injured and almost ruined their feet.

For a 3 day routine 2 days a week of easy ENJOYABLE RUNS of 2 to 4 miles .First do a timetrial of 1.5 miles and record the time to see where your at. Then one day a week do 8x200 meters with 2 min rest inbetween 200s at a track
After a few week do a time trial again 1.5 and time and then do the 200s with a 90 sec rest. The 200s would be in the 43 to 53 seconds a 200.

Doing the sprint 8 or doing 4x400 in 1:52 to 1:56 with a 2 minute rest.

Anyway just some ideas

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

08-24-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Okay so going to be honest and not trying to disrespect isodude.

My take on Pose is it s a fast way to be injured. If you watch elite distance runners, they land midfoot not on their toes unless they are doing an all out sprint. Pose is heavily promoted by Cross fit. I know quite a few people that have has serious foot and knee injuries by running on their toes. Another gimmick running form is chi running same concept as pose.
If you do these types of form changes then you have to do drills for a long time. Know an elite runner who took a year to get to running mid to forefoot running.

The whole barefoot thing is my opinion is a gimmick that has died out along with forcing many to quit running due to serious injury.
I would say if you were raised barefoot and played barefoot then you would be fine, thing is not many in the modern world can do that, we all wear shoes. I know quite a few who wore vibram 5 fingers and were injured and almost ruined their feet.

For a 3 day routine 2 days a week of easy ENJOYABLE RUNS of 2 to 4 miles .First do a timetrial of 1.5 miles and record the time to see where your at. Then one day a week do 8x200 meters with 2 min rest inbetween 200s at a track
After a few week do a time trial again 1.5 and time and then do the 200s with a 90 sec rest. The 200s would be in the 43 to 53 seconds a 200.

Doing the sprint 8 or doing 4x400 in 1:52 to 1:56 with a 2 minute rest.

Anyway just some ideas

Monty
After many attempts at POSE, I have come to the same conclusion as you. What really solidified my belief that it's just not a safe way to go was a section of a book I picked up that really explained why I continually had problems with trying this method. "Running Strong by Dr. Jordan Metzl"

Share |