Share |
John McSweeney and Isometrics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Author

11-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just received an e-mail asking me about John McSweeney and whether or not he practiced Isometrics.

ANSWER: I did ask John about that the first time I trained with him and he taught me his Seven Tiger Moves + one, which was a toe touch exercise performed under great tension that he had used to rehabilitate his lumbar region from an injury that he had sustained 40+ years previous when he had been practicing Judo. It was actually that injury and its subsequent recurrence that caused him to switch to the Striking and Kicking arts that collectively have been classified as Karate in the USA. (That's your history lesson for today)

Now, as relates to Isometrics, John was well aware that Bruce Lee had mastered Isometrics during the last five years of his life and that Lee attributed a great deal of his striking power to his mastery of Isometric Contraction.

In spite of having Bruce Lee as an inspiration, John told me that he never felt as though he was able to contract his muscles to the intensity that would yield great results. He instead would practice his TIGER MOVES with such intensity that he was exhausted at the end of just a single set of 3 repetitions of each exercise. This, he told me, was for maximizing strength only and that he did not believe that any man could do more than 3 Ultra Intense repetitions. He also told me that he did that only once every 7 to 10 days because of how draining it was to the Central Nervous System. In essence, he was using so much tension that he was performing an ultra intense contraction that felt like an Isometric Contraction. He also told me that he had a 14 year old student that had developed most extraordinary striking power he had ever seen by doing just 3 ultra intense contractions of each of the Seven exercises BUT that he told this student to knock it off because he confessed to John that he was using so much tension that it would cause his nose to bleed profusely.

Anyway, to answer the question, "Did John McSweeney practice or incorporate Isometrics into his training?" The answer is 'NO!' Why? Because I had not yet developed my Isometric Power Belt.

---John Peterson

Share |