Share |
Swoboda's Physiological Exercise

Author

03-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

In so many ways Alois P Swoboda was way ahead of his time. For example, his description of what he referred to as "Physiological Exercise" or 'Swobodaism' was very progressive. In his own words, he literally states that he designed his exercises as a replacement for weight lifting and that he fully believed that his brand of physiological exercises would have all the benefits of weight lifting for developing one's strength and physique while improving one's health without any of the downside associated with it.

This is how Swoboda described Physiological Exercise or 'Swobodaism' in his own literature.

Quote:
"When nineteen years of age, I was very weak and debilitated. The fact that my father died of consumption five years previous, and the warning of my friends that I would follow the same route, caused me to look toward exercise as a means of building up my health and strength. I began the study of anatomy for the location, functions, and relations of all the muscles. I studied physiology to find the physiological effect of exercise; why exercise caused development, and the effect of different modes of exercise. I soon found that the use of heavy weights was the speediest rout to development. But I also found that the use the weights checked the capillary circualtion, thereby increasing the pressure in the arteries, consequently placing an undue strain on the heart. Since, however, the use of weights caused a rapid development of the muscles and the willpower and at the same time overtaxed the heart, it occurred to me that if I could find a means by which the muscles could be offered the same resistance as by the use of weights (and still not use weights), that I could gain as much muscle, will power and vital force in as short a time, and not overtax the heart, which is unavoidable when weights are used.

"In studying anatomy I soon noticed that while all moveable parts of the body had muscles to move them one way, they also had muscles to move them back again. it then occurred to me that to use one muscle to offer resistance to another would cause the same development as the use of weights to offer resistance, but with alternate contractions and relaxations, would help the venous circulation and instead of obstructing the circulation in the capillaries, would help the blood in the course towards the heart, thereby resting the heart. Therefore, the alternate contractions and relaxations of one muscle under h influence of a stimulus (will power) to antagonize another is the principle of my system of physiological exercise. ALOIS P SWOBODA"

---John Peterson

Share |

03-10-2019, 02:04 PM

That is a great quote and as you have pointed out with your training method of "Iso Dynamic Exercise" Swoboda's system of "Antagonism" can be applied statically with Isometrics or with movement.

Share |

Author

03-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Hello Gordon,

What I find fascinating with Swoboda is his understanding of the importance of training 'intensity' as opposed to training 'volume'.

In fact, the more we study Swoboda for what he says, the more we realize that everything Swoboda taught was related to achieving the utmost of efficiency. This brings us to a question the I have been asked in an e-mail that I would like to get your take on.

The question: Did Swoboda teach Isometrics?

My answer: Swoboda did not use that term but as you read his instructions carefully there are times that he states to achieve only X number of repetitions with any given exercise and that from the point forward one must apply more and more 'intensity' to one's exercises. Granted Swoboda did not use the term 'intensity' he instead used the term 'rigid' and he repeatedly stated that one cannot make the muscles too rigid though one should constantly endeavor to make the muscles still more rigid with every exertion. He ultimately stated that he himself trained with such intensity that he rarely exceeded 5-minutes and was capable of achieving a great full body workout in just 2 minutes daily. Bottom line: Swoboda's method of muscle control and muscle 'antagonization' was so intense that it was the first cousin of true 'Isometric contraction'. This was even stated by Bob Hoffman in his book 'Functional Isometric Contraction'.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-11-2019, 01:10 PM

If there is one word that indicates what Swoboda was all about it is "INTENSITY". He referred to "creative energy" as the "creative force" of the universe and to the part of "creative energy" that is personalize and internal within each of us as our "conscious energy". He also stated that every living thing has it's own personalized conscious energy which is unique and individual to them.

Swoboda believed that the " imagination" was our creative force within and that to help an individual grow and evolve both mentally and physically it was necessary to "stress" their "conscious energy" as all evolution was a reaction to "stress"

Modern scientists believe that "the self image determines our personality and our behavior and that if you change the self image you change both the personality and the behavior" Our bodies and our minds only grow and change after having exhausted all other options. No matter what you call the process whether it is stress,isometrics, rigidity, or, whatever, it all comes down to "INTENSITY"

Last edited by Andy62; 03-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Share |

Author

03-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Hey Friends,

I came across the following in 'The Magic Power of Your Mind" by Walter M. Germain.

Quote:
The late Dr. Daniel Boone Herring, "Sage of the Dessert" told me the story of Swoboda. whom he first met in Omaha. herring was at that time an inspector for Pinkerton Detective Agency and first noticed Swoboda, then fifteen years old, taking his fill at a free lunch counter in a saloon.

After seeing him eat the same way a second day, herring arranged to get the youngster--whom he discovered was dying of consumption --a menial job at the saloon. The boy explained that he had hopped trains from New York, his birthplace after his parents died of tuberculosis, determined to see the cow country. three months later, his strength improved through regular eating, young Swoboda hopped another freight and continued on his way.

It was five years later that Herring next saw Swoboda, this time in New York City. he was robust and well dressed and looked little like the person who five years earlier was dying of tuberculosis. Herring said the boy was as robust as a timber wolf and his muscle control was fantastic. he was able to control every muscle in his body, down to the smallest.

Swoboda explained that a bum who came into the Omaha saloon to "mooch" a lemon started him on the trail to physical perfection. the bum sucked the juice from the lemon, and as he did Swoboda realized that the sight of a man doing this made him drool at the mouth. He reasoned--correctly--that thinking can make all the organs of the body function perfectly. Swoboda thus discovered the magic power of the Supraconscious.

The boy went to Wyoming, got a ranch job there, and within the next few years built himself up to physical perfection. he had made the great discovery that the cell structure can be renewed through the power of suggestion by the Supraconscious.

Hey Friends, What can I say? The more I read about Swoboda the more of an enigma the man becomes. Read his own advertising copy above and realize that he really was a self-made man and that everything he taught his students--he had lived first hand. His powers of visualization were developed to the extreme.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-13-2019, 06:55 PM

“Our minds become magnetized with the dominating thoughts we hold in our minds and these magnets attract to us the forces, the people, the circumstances of life which harmonize with the nature of our dominating thoughts.” Napoleon Hill

Share |