Share |
Limb to Limb Self Resistance Exercises

Author

12-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Hey Friends,

I was talking with Greg Newton recently about the extraordinary results that he has achieved with self resistance exercises. We were talking specifically about his arm development and the arm building exercises that we are offering in Living Strength. Greg discovered that he achieved his all time best development with DSR as opposed to using weights as a young man. As we were discussing the exercises I asked him, "Greg, do you think it's possible to apply as much resistance with limb to limb resistance as if you were using weights? His response was, "Even better because you can adjust the intensity during the range of motion." Of course he was absolutely correct. But there is one other benefit of self resistance exercises and that is this, with self resistance one can go to his absolute limit of self applied resistance but since the resistance is supplied by muscular tension and not gravity one is not compressing his spine with additional weight bearing straight down regardless of how much resistance one applies. Think about it.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-17-2012, 10:19 AM

On starting the GUTS program, I immediately liked the Milo exercise. It was rewarding because right out-of-the box I felt I could perform it effectively.

Lower body exercise has been a different story. Slow squatting movements with tension work for me, but with almost anything else, it's like my leg muscles don't listen to the message my brain wants to send them. I'm looking forward to help with this in Living Strength.

My 5 year old is here and wants to put a 'smiley-face', so here it is...

Saludos.

Share |

Author

12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Hello CubaLibre,

You're an easy man to like. Thank You for participating on our forum.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-17-2012, 12:32 PM

John I agree with Greg Newton, the Atlas Bicep Curl is effective and was always great. To me the old DSRs work and so did the DVR exercises. Dynaflex was there in the 1960s and just improved as Isometric Power Flexing!

Looking forward for to the new book. Seeing Ron Watson's Hollyweed Protocol in print will make my day! Ron always shared his knowledge with us all, GBU Ron and your family; GBU all the regulars here on the forum.

Share |

12-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Also John with weights certain points in the range of motion you lose the contraction in the muscle.With limb against limb this doesn't happen unless you let it happen.With FMR's(DSR's) you always get a peak contraction That's why I like them.

michael

Share |

Author

12-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Hey Michael,

You and Greg and I are all on the same page.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-17-2012, 06:49 PM

This is an example of an FMR(DSR) Atlas curl. If you notice the elbow comes back as you curl up. You can get a better contraction of the biceps this way. Vince Gironda taught this as a body drag curl. However, this one never really felt right with a barbell. With FMR you control how much tension to put into the movement. This exercise works well in sets of ten between pushups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atlas Curl.jpg (42.6 KB, 142 views)

Share |

12-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Hey All,

I also love the Milo I do 50 reps each side 5/6 days a week and my pecs and arms are more cut and a tad bigger that they were a few months ago. I am also doing the high reach more but I do both arms at the same time. I have also been doing the FMR for curls and is a great exercise.

Greg, that's a good pic of John. OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's you!!! Looking good sir!!!

Monty

Share |

Author

12-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Hey Friends,

Look Closely at Greg's photo. Detail: When this exercise is properly performed you will note that the arm that is resisting (palm Down) is maintaining very light contact with the body during the full range of motion. This subtle detail intensifies the contraction to a great extent. Remember that and start doing it until it becomes 'locked in" to your subconscious. Also note: In 'Living Strength' we present subtle details that make all exercises more productive.

---John Peterson

PS One other point that Greg, Tim and I will be making in our seminars is that just because an exercise or a variation of it is more intense does not in and of itself mean that it will yield better results.

Share |