Share |
John, Did Frank Rudolph Young Include Push-Ups...

Author

02-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Hey Friends,

Yesterday a man e-mailed this question to me about Chiropractor Frank Rudolph Young's books wondering if he included Push-Ups in his training routines. The Answer is a very affirmative Y-E-S, yet not in the way you may think.

Here's the deal. Frank Rudolph Young was brilliant. He compiled many exercises and concepts from Yoga (Maxick), Charles Atlas, Alois P Swoboda, and of course his own personal study. He was an expert in the field of muscular anatomy and applied physiology and as such created some fascinating exercise variations (that were based in what we call DVR/VRT & Isometrics though he never called them by those names) that placed the muscles in unique positions ( that he referred to as their "best angle of Pull") that allowed one to obtain incredibly intense muscular contractions that could not be achieved in any other way. He strongly denounced weight training as a method of exercise believing that it destroyed the skeletal structure at the expense of superficially building it's muscles for a very limited time. By this Young was referring to the same thing that I often refer to as "Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome".

( For our new participants to our forum "Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome" is where a man lifts heavier and heavier weights over a period of years to achieve more intense muscular contractions not realizing that he is destroying and compressing his spinal discs while over taxing his joints, ligaments, and tendons. In time this type of training results in permanent injury for the vast majority of men and as a consequence the man can no longer train. One often sees this kind of man at social gatherings bragging about how much he used to be able to "bench". Such men are often so busted up and in so much pain that they can no longer train at all. To compensate they live in the past and brag about what they could once do.)

Now back to Frank Rudolph Young. Yes, he taught certain Push-Up variations that I have seen no where else. Some were similar to Atlas style push-Ups in that they created an extended range of motion but the angles were different and they had to be performed exactly as described in order to perform them correctly. Many of his variations were very complex and worded in such a way that they were very difficult to understand. His two books with greatest number of Push-Up variations were 1) Yoga Secrets for Extraordinary Health and Long Life and 2) Somo-Psychic Power.

Young also wrote many other books on Extra Sensory Perception (ESP) and Psychic (mind) development. In fact, during the 1980's when I became a certified NLP practitioner I was at a seminar during which the group facilitator was making outrageous claims about NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) being an entirely new development in the field of neurological science. During a break I kindly told him that before he continues making those assertions in future seminars he should read Frank Rudolph Young's books because he would discover that Young taught many of the exact same concepts under different terminologies. Needless to say, he was amazed when I told him this.

Bottom line: I believe Frank Rudolph Young was a genius. And in many ways way ahead of his time. .

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Interesting post John!!

Didn't know you were an NLP practitioner!!

Are you including some of these pushup variations in your book?

Kenpopaul

Share |

Author

02-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Hey kenpopaul,

I have an expansive history section in "Ultimate Push-Ups for the Awesome Physique" where I feature Frank Rudolph Young (among many others) and show an example of what type of Push-up he taught. In general his exercises relied on DVR/VRT style of dynamic tension being exerted in a slow controlled motion rather than relying on the body's weight alone to create the necessary muscular contraction/tension.

For instance, lets just take a wall push-up as an example. Many people that have no concept of Mind/Muscle DVR/VRT style tension would not have the slightest idea of how to perform this exercise with maximum effectiveness and would therefore say that it is worthless. BUT once the 'Golden Key' of self generated Mind/Muscle DVR/VRT muscular contraction/tension is fully understood and implemented, superior results can be obtained far beyond those obtained through other methods and the beauty of this technique is that it actually strengthens, enhances, and protects the strength and function of the joints, tendons, and ligaments while building strength and sculpting muscles. Bottomline: Frank Rudolph Young's Push-Ups were not the typical style of Push-Up that we normally associate as being a Push-Up exercise. They were beyond Push-Ups.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-05-2009, 12:44 PM

I have all Dr. Frank R. Young DC books, and have talked to you John about them, his Yoga was far advanced and yes he was using DVR/VRT muscle tension. I'd recommend his books to anyone. Dr. Young's books on ESP and Psychic development seem to me to be alternitive view and presentation of Positive Thinking. I have three Kabbalist friends that admire Dr. Young's books on the topic and he and his students seem decades ahead on the topic just as his views on fitness and exercise are still advanced.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
For our new participants to our forum "Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome" is where a man lifts heavier and heavier weights over a period of years to achieve more intense muscular contractions not realizing that he is destroying and compressing his spinal discs while over taxing his joints, ligaments, and tendons.
That cannot be said enough. Despite the fact I am in better shape today than I have ever been in my entire life, I still have to be careful with certain exercises and movements because of spinal deterioration. The squats, deadlifts, benches and other lifts I did over several decades were not worth it!

Last edited by Greg Newton; 02-05-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Share |

02-05-2009, 04:36 PM

Frank Rudolph Young's approach to pushups was revolutionary and very effective. He stressed the application of mental resistance using DVR/VRT principles rather than just relying on bodyweight and body leverage.

Share |

02-05-2009, 06:14 PM

I've struggled with Dr Young's writting style. However, I do have a Dr Young inspired "Yoga Bench"

Share |

02-05-2009, 09:58 PM

I read 3 of FRYs books recently. It was interesting to see that in the early 70s he was advocating sprint intervals with 3 or 4 times distance recovery walks instead of jogging. Something most trainers have only advised for the public in recent years. He also states he competed in novice bodybuilding competitions in the 1950s using bodweight only exercises.

Share |

Author

02-05-2009, 11:05 PM

hey Chris64,

Young was a prolific writer. I'm curious which of his books did you read? I think I have every book that he had written. On the cover of 'Yogatronic Diet' there is a great shot of his physique. He had a lithe, beautifully developed physique.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Are you taling about S-L-O-W progression pushups?

In the past there were a number of real good discussions on the slow pushups a number of sources and members.

I have been utilizing a yoga program that is based on strength moves.

In the past I have done a number of other yoga tapes and programs, but this one is different.
It is strucured to include a number of strength moves, including a 3-count, 5-count and a 10-count pushup.
In between the movements, strength holds and stretches, you put in a 10-count pushup, which is from the bottom, a 10 count up.....to the top and right away, a 10-count down......to the bottom, but do not rest on the floor keep your chest about 2" from the floor and count to 10 slowly then 10 back up and 10 back down and another 10 hold. You talk about a burn. The workouts are either a 20,30 or 45 minute (killer) workout.

The man who does this program is a former wrestler, who had fractured discs in his back 10 years ago and started a journey towards yoga. He wanted to create yoga program that the normal person could do wihout getting intimidated by poses and know it all YOGIS. He does the same moves but gives them different names and makes it fun. The guy is pretty remarkable in that he began his carer at 35 and became the 'pre-determined' champ at 42. He is now 52 and in awesome shape. In the programs they advocate utilizing a heart monitor to keep within your max. heart range. It's amazing how the workout keeps you there for pretty much of the routine.

Last edited by isorez; 02-06-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Share |