Share |
John, Did Atlas Copy Yogananda?

Author

03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Hey Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a man that had seen a clip on Youtube about Paramahansa Yogananda and then turns around and sends me the link and asks me with great concern, "John, Do you think that Charles Atlas copied Yogananda's exercises and presented them as his own? The clip says that Charles Atlas's Dynamic Tension exercise course was inspired in part by Yogananda's Energization exercises. Go to 6:26 of the clip and see for yourself.

Here is the youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmFR1B4zFao

My response: Don't worry Richard, Charles Atlas's Original Course was published in 1922 and it did not contain any of Yoganada's Energization exercise's which were published in Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship Lessons during the 1930's, 40's, 50's and continue to be published to this very day. Were Yoganada's exercises similar? They certainly were. They were what we refer to as DVR (Dynamic Visualized Resistance) exercises. But they were not taught in the way that Atlas's exercises were taught.

Bottom line: Atlas did not receive his inspiration from Yogananda. in his own words, Charles Atlas said, "Everything I know, I learned from A.P. Swoboda."

---John Peterson

Share |

03-18-2017, 07:28 PM

I find this stuff fascinating.

I checked my records and find that Swoboda invented the mail order physical fitness course and had been teaching his exercise principles for some time before he came out with his copyrighted course in 1901, well ahead of Yogananda

swoboda taught his lessons and

Share |

Legacy Member

03-19-2017, 08:32 AM

I've read Atlas's book and watched u-tube videos of Yogananda's energy exercises. Atlas focused on what would be described as "DSRs" and calisthenics, while Yoganada's exercises were closer to what we would think of as "DVRs."
Yogananda's DVRs are not even all that similar to McSweeny's Miracle Seven or Howard Wong's exercises.
I really think that Yogananda is out there all by himself.
Anyone who gets the chance to visit Yoganada's ashram on the California coast between San Diego and LA should do so. It is gorgeous.

Tim

Share |