Share |
What if you can't run? Try Steve Reeves Powerwalking!

10-27-2009, 06:47 AM

Home Bodybuilding by Robert Wolff talks about the development of Powerwalking by Steeve Reeves and recommends it, in chapter Ten. Has about three pages in a how to section on powerwalking. Wolff cowrote a book about Steve Reeves. It is sometimes available new at Amazon for $4 but not right now, I just checked, they want $18.45 plus shipping today. Powerwalking is great exercise and low impact on the joints, this is one great allternative to running or jogging.

In High School my dog would run with me, he loved it, and literally ran circles around me enjoying his run.

Share |

10-27-2009, 03:39 PM

It's interesting Dr Len, Mr HeavyHands, advocates upper body DSRs(with clasped hands perform a variety of resistance exercises) while walking fast. Heart rate monitoring will verify the effectiveness of this approach. Of course, it'd be wise to alternate between the DSRs & exaggerated arm swings during the walk; even throw air punches to keep the dangerous woman away

Share |

10-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Very roughly, heavy hands is to powerwalking what calisthentics are to isometrics. They are both great. As Grunt usually suggests: do both.

Grunt, I haven't found, or looked for, any recent articles in which Dr. Len wrote about or demonstrated the hand clasping. Do you have links? I like the clasping idea, and it doesn't look so goofy for those of us don't want our womens to run away.

Tom

Share |

10-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the information. I tried this powerwalking again today without weights and was great. Is the hand clasping thing you are talking about here isometrics? As far as elevating the heart rate, that is almost impossible for me to do very well since I take beta blocker for tachycardia and my heart rate doesn,t get very high even if I run as fast as I can.

Share |

Banned

10-28-2009, 07:18 AM

I posted this many years ago here, utilizing DVR techniques to the walk. The arms and legs can be tensed as though weight were attached as you walk vigorously for several miles. The minimum I recommend is a twenty minute DVR Powerwalk. I used it to build my legs up for a 100 mile bike ride I did that year. The leg development was fantastic and few programs I tried equalled it. Reeves started his program later in life when his BWS caught up with him and he could no longer lift. He attained new fitness levels with this program, as well as horseback riding. Although Reeves was an asthetically great bodybuilder, his weight training left him clumsy and awkward as film clips during his bodybuilding years attest. After adopting this type training and horseback riding, still photos depict a more graceful and agile Reeves. Heavyhands came after this and although a good training modality, you did look ridiculous doing it in public. For my money, however, running, done properly is the supreme condtioner to compliment Transformetric training. John, Atlas and others have used it as the base of their training and achieved great results. But not everyone can do it. Overweight and or unconditioned people as well as though suffering from BWS, can use DVR Powerwalking as an alternative, and achieve good results.

Share |

10-28-2009, 08:03 AM

Tom
The Purposeful Prmitive has some Dr Len materials many of which are compatible with Transformetrics

There are certainly many ways to make walks purposely & desirably inefficient(elevated heartrate) with or without swingin' & swayin' weighted objects . Who the heck cares what onlookers think unless they're cops?

Share |

10-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks I will try this DVR method, although due to the disk problem I have leg pain at night and perhaps tensing my leg muscles might make this worse, but perhaps not so I will give it a try. Sometimes when it is too hot outside I walk in place in the house by lifting my legs as high as I can and this seems to work okay as far as making heart rate faster.

Share |

10-29-2009, 07:53 AM

Thumbs up for high stepping. High stepping is yet another way to convert an ordinary walk inot an inefficient, heart pounding one. As a bonus, the full ROM knee lifts are a healthy hip joint exercize. Add in a variety of arm swings while stepping in place or on the go; your heart will love the extra stimulation

Share |

Legacy Member

10-29-2009, 07:44 PM

You can try Amazon. It has been out of print since the eighties. It is also probably a collector's item. I never had a copy. I only read articles by Reeves and his biography by John Little, which had a chapter on power walking. The Little book is still in print.

By the way, there has been some discussion about Heavy Hands. Reeves in an eighties article in Muscle Mag International said that he felt the doctor who created Heavy Hands ripped him off without giving him credit for inventing Power Walking.

Share |

Legacy Member

10-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Hi Cayenne,

Your are right. I am just reporting what Reeves said. There was enough of a similarity in the approaches for Reeves to feel that he'd been copied without credit, whether that assertion was justified or unjustified.

Share |